Quantcast

Steve Jobs On TV: 'I Finally Cracked It'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 21, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Steve Jobs On TV: 'I Finally Cracked It' - Forbes

--- "More details from Walter Isaacson's biography of the late Apple co-founder and leader are leaking out. The latest leak, from The Washington Post, hints that Apple could be about shake up the entire consumer electronics industry: Jobs was working on a television set.

"'I'd like to create an integrated television set that is completely easy to use,' he told me. 'It would be seamlessly synced with all of your devices and with iCloud.' No longer would users have to fiddle with complex remotes for DVD players and cable channels. 'It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine. I finally cracked it.'"

This can't be good news for Sony or Samsung, a pair of Apple rivals that have worked for years to find ways to integrate the Internet with their otherwise robust television businesses. Google has also attacked the problem, rounding up partners who have built set top boxes and televisions around its software.

Apple, of course, has offered a set top box for years. Jobs has modestly called the Apple TV a 'hobby,' however, and it's long been clear Jobs is gearing up to do something bigger. Isaacson's biography, titled simply "Steve Jobs," hits Monday. No word, yet, on when Apple's TV will."

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. ibk

ibk New Member

It would be seamlessly linked to all of your devices- as long as they are apple devices of course!

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Funny and as far as I know, true. I am not very tech savvy but I can make Google TV, TiVo, Blu-ray, surround sound system and an HDTV work well enough controlled by Logitech Harmony remote that I don't think the average young adult would have any trouble doing the same or more. I can't get into having a PC part of the home theater and may never do that.

4. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

Sure Steve. All together for a cost of 10,000 dollars!

5. CatfishRivers

Apple HDTV project reportedly led by iTunes top dog - SlashGear (click for full article)

"Rumors around Apple's TV set ambitions continue to flourish, with the latest being suggestions that the software engineer responsible for iTunes has now turned his attention to developing an Apple-branded HDTV.

Jeff Robbin, involved in both iPod and iTunes development, is reportedly leading the Apple television drive so Bloomberg's sources would have it, though the project is said to be still a top secret one within the company.

Speculation around an Apple HDTV has flourished in the past week, after it was revealed that Steve Jobs told his biographer that he had "finally cracked" how to make television as usable as iPods and the iPhone."

6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

“Siri, record all new episodes of the Desperate Bridezillas of Jersey Shore.”That may be how we’ll talk to our Apple television sets in the next few years, the New York Time’sNick Bilton postulates.With Steve Jobs’ posthumous claim that he “cracked” the code for an Apple TV interface, everyone’s trying to figure out just what he meant. Bilton assumes the only logical answer is Siri, Apple’s intelligent virtual assistant, currently exclusive to the iPhone 4S. But personally, I think Apple will need to do a lot more than just squeeze in Siri to make its mark in the TV market.“As the line between television programming and Web content continues to erode, a Siri-powered television would become more necessary,” Bilton writes. “You aren’t going to want to flip through file folders or baskets of content, checking off what you want. Telling Siri to “play videos of cute cats falling asleep” would return an endless YouTube stream of adorable napping fur balls.”Apple has been working on a television interface for years, but the company has struggled to replace the ubiquitous (but user-unfriendly) remote control as the primary TV interface, sources in the know tell Bilton.Indeed, Siri seems like a good solution, since it’s much easier to tell your TV what you’d like to watch, instead of pecking through countless channels or TV guide pages. But I have a hard time believing it’ll completely replace the remote, since Siri’s voice commands, while usually accurate, can sometimes fall apart when you’re referencing an unusual name or place. Good luck telling Siri to find you the next showing of Koyaaanisqatsi.Apple has already developed a simplified remote, which was first developed for iMacs and other Apple hardware years ago, and is now included with the Apple TV. But since it only sports a few buttons — direction arrows, an enter button, pause/play, and a menu button — it’ll likely be too minimal to control an entire TV set.To step into the TV arena, Apple will still need to rework the classic remote controller somehow. Google is facing the same difficulty right now with Google TV, which first launched with a full-sized keyboard on the Logitech Revue, and a monstrous mini-keyboard with Sony’s GTV sets.And of course, Apple will need many more features than just a simplified interface to entice consumers. If Apple does step into televisions (and many signs seem to indicate that it will), it will also have to compete against more established TV makers when it comes to price and web-enabled features. Somehow, I don’t think slapping the Apple TV’s interface on a television set will be enough.

10-27-11

Source

7. sparkyscott21

[​IMG]

“I’ve finally cracked it!” Steven P. Jobs, co-founder of Apple, told his biographer, Walter Isaacson.Although Mr. Jobs was referring to Apple’s plans to build a full-fledged television, he was not actually referring to the TV set, which is how the comment has been widely interpreted. Instead, it is becoming clear that Mr. Jobs was talking about Siri, Apple’s new artificial intelligent software on the iPhone 4S.Apple engineers and designers, spurred by Mr. Jobs, have been struggling for years to find a new interface for the television. One of the biggest hurdles, according to people with knowledge of the project, has been replacing the television set’s annoying best friend: the awkward and confusing remote control. Apple would give people a way to choose the content on their television that is as easy as choosing the content on their iPod, iPhone or iPad.Alternative remote ideas floated by Apple included a wireless keyboard and mouse, or using an iPod, iPhone or iPad as a remote. None of these concepts worked. But there was one “I finally cracked it” moment, when Apple realized you could just talk to your television.Enter Siri.It’s the stuff of science fiction. You sit on your couch and rather than fumble with several remotes or use hand gestures, you simply talk: “Put on the last episode of Gossip Girl.” “Play the local news headlines.” “Play some Coldplay music videos.” Siri does the rest.Of course this experience goes beyond just playing TV shows or the local news. As the line between television programming and Web content continues to erode, a Siri-powered television would become more necessary. You aren’t going to want to flip through file folders or baskets of content, checking off what you want. Telling Siri to “play videos of cute cats falling asleep” would return an endless YouTube stream of adorable napping fur balls.The television project has been in the works for sometime. I first heard about Apple’s television plans over a year ago.At the time, an individual who has knowledge of Apple’s prototype supply chains overseas told me they had seen some “large parts floating around” that belonged to Apple. This person believed that it “looked like the parts could be part of a large Apple television.”I immediately began snooping around, asking Apple employees and people close to the company if a full fledged Apple Television was in the works. Several people, all speaking on condition of anonymity for obvious reasons, told me that nothing was actively being built, but — and this was a big but — I was told repeatedly that Apple would eventually make a television. “Absolutely, it is a guaranteed product for Apple,” I was told by one individual. “Steve thinks the industry is totally broken.”Mr. Jobs reiterated this sentiment in his biography, explaining to Mr. Isaacson that an Apple television “will have the simplest user interface you could imagine.”So what could be simpler than barking commands to your television?On my quest to learn more about the Apple television project, I learned that executives at Apple knew as far back as 2007 that the company would eventually make a dedicated TV. This realization came shortly after the company released the Apple TV, a box that connects to any manufacturer’s television to stream iTunes content. Consumers did not flock to the Apple TV, and rather than abandon the project, Apple began calling it a “hobby.”But that hobby could soon reap astounding financial returns. A recent report issued by Barclays predicted that if Apple made a television set, excluding content deals, Apple could generate an additional $19 billion in revenue a year. This number would not be a stretch either; Barclays said in the report that Apple would only need to capture 5 percent of television buyers to reach this goal.So where’s the Apple television? The company still has quite a bit of work to do on the project. Apple has perfected ultra-thin, portable devices — the Macbook Air, iPhone and iPods, for example — but it has not applied this innovation to gadgets that hang on a wall, yet.The company also needs to wait until the cost of large displays falls. Although some 42-inch LCD televisions from mainstream consumer electronics companies can cost as little as $500, the Apple television would include computer electronics and other technology that may make the price uncompetitive. And as my colleague Nick Wingfield recently noted, Apple is no longer the high-priced producer in any category it has entered. The company is now close enough that it could announce the product by late 2012, releasing it to consumers by 2013.It is coming though. It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when.

10-27-11

Source

8. sparkyscott21

[​IMG]

Production of Apple’s rumored connected television is set to begin in February at Sharp’s plant in Japan, reports AppleInsider. Rival HDTV makers are therefore desperate to find out what the new TV will actually do, with Android as potential operating system for rival devices.

[​IMG]

Apple is expected to partner with Sharp for TFT-LCD panels. The TV could also feature hands free control using Siri. The mid-2012 release date is a more aggressive prediction than others have given for the release, with the New York Times claiming that it could be launched in late 2012 and released at the start of 2013.
    I’m looking forward to whatever Apple has in store, and if the TV features full internet access and apps, then it could spell the end for traditional computers (or at least traditional television). The TV would become the digital hub, with iPads and iPhones being the satellite devices.
    11-22-11

Source

9. sparkyscott21

[​IMG]

While you might have though the holiday season was upon us, it’s actually the start of Apple Television rumor silly season, with the always entertaining analysts not only speculating up a start to Apple’s production, but a mad rush by competitors into the arms of Android. We kid you not.
    Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said in a note to investors this week that Apple is expected to partner with Sharp for TFT-LCD panels for its so-called “iTV.” Production is expected to begin in February at the company’s Gen 10 Sakai facility in Osaka, Japan, placing the television set in position for a mid-2012 launch.

TV makers are said to be looking at Android as a potential option to counter Apple’s anticipated television set. In that scenario, the television market would act much like the current smartphone landscape, with manufacturers making the hardware and Google providing the operating system.

Misek used words like “scrambling” and “caught flat footed”, which is what happened with the iPhone and iPad and while phones have just now caught up, tablets are still struggling to find competitive footing.

So, it makes sense to now rush to compete with an unannounced product, right? How about just making good products, Apple be damned? Make a great television whether or not Apple enters the market.

Everything is going to be smart one day, not just tablets and phones. Let’s see who gets there — and where — first.

11-23-11

Source

10. CatfishRivers

Hopefully the Logitech Revue will have the Honeycomb update before the Apple television comes to market...... (a bit of sarcasm there). -;)

11. sparkyscott21

Oh I get it..... Unfortunately!!

Just about everybody with a Revue has had a comment here or there in the last 5 months....

I am surprised that you guessed that was what I was thinking
    when I posted it........ [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. CatfishRivers

13. sparkyscott21

[​IMG]

Production for Apple’s rumored television is set to begin in January, reports The Tokyo Times, and will be launched around summer 2012. According to the report, Sharp, who has been commissioned to manufacture the displays for Apple’s “iTV,” will ramp up production in January.

[​IMG]
    American technology giant Apple is shifting partnerships in Japan towards Sharp, eyeing the production of a brand-new TV range which may be called iTV.

The report continues to suggest that the device should launch in summer 2012, and echoes Jefferies analyst Peter Misek’s comments that competitors are already “scrambling” to find out what Apple’s device can do, so they can more effectively work on competing products.

The Tokyo Times doesn’t have an established track record when it comes to Apple, so it’d be advisable to take this with a grain of salt until more information becomes available.

11-28-11
    Source

14. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

MS may beat apple to the punch when they launch the updated XBox 360 dashboard this december, which will come with bing search that will combine TV, web, etc. It will be voice enabled via kinect. Unfortunately for google, GTV could be crushed with MS and apple's offerings. Google better respond soon.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I hate being under NDA, so I can't give specifics. However, you're making an assumption in your statment that hasn't been referenced in any of the written articles.

16. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

OK..and? Countless people do that every day. :cool:

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Right, so don't hold your breath. Your expectations are a little off.

18. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

360's dashboard is always a work in progress. I have been using it since the blade days. So don't get too attached to what you are beta testing now. ;)

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I've never been attached to it. Afterall, I've been under NDA since the original release. ;)

20. CatfishRivers

Apple TV v3 tipped in iOS 5.1 beta - SlashGear
    (click for full article)

"Apple's home entertainment hobby, the Apple TV, is readying a leap to its third-generation of hardware according to details spotted in yesterday's iOS 5.1 developer beta. The new model is believed to have the J33 codename, 9 to 5 Mac reports, a step up from a more general identifier number, and signaling that a commercial launch could be close at hand."