Quantcast

Standard Definition Content Question

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by buechler66, Jan 29, 2011.

1. buechler66

buechler66 New Member

Hi. Since setting up my Google TV settop box, I've been noticing more shows and commercials are not completely filling my HD flatscreen's screen. Before Google TV I'm thinking that perhaps my TV, DVR, or Receiver was somehow up scaling these pictures so that they fill the screen. Is there some setting I need to change on my Google TV to accomplish this?

I'm on the Sony settop box and TV is provided via Directv.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. galfert

galfert Active Member

You can probably search through your Direct TV box settings and find where you can choose to have standard definition stretched to fill the screen. But I would advise against it. I just don't get it when people choose to do this, as it then distorts the picture and things are stretched and things just don't look normal. I just can't believe that stretching things seems to not bother some people. Skinny people end up looking fat and fat people end up looking just obese and obese people end up looking like Java the Hut. Things that are long like say a limo or bus look really messed and distorted. A couple of years ago I just accepted standard definition and the black bars on the side as there was limited HD content...now everything seems to be HD and I hardly ever watch SD, and on the rare instance I just accept the black side bars as that is better than getting a headache or being distracted by what to me looks like seeing the world though Coke bottles.

• Like Like x 2
  3. eric4brs

eric4brs New Member

galfert

I don't think you understand. buechler66 is saying that before the Logitech was plugged in, there was no problem seeing full screen non-high-def channels. Can you see the statement "Before Google TV I'm thinking that perhaps my TV, DVR, or Receiver was somehow up scaling these pictures so that they fill the screen." Clearly the Logitech box is taking a system that worked to the user's satisfaction, but now the user is unhappy.

You then go on to try to talk the user into the benefits of watching a small picture. Come on. That is silly. Every system I know can display full size non-high-def channels.

Do you honestly think that the Sony TV with Google TV built in displays a small picture for non-high-def channels?

I am having the same problem.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Here's the thing. The Revue is sending your TV a fixed resolution. You can see that resolution by looking at Google TV Settings > Picture and Sound > Resolution. The output is 16:9 ratio with either 720p or 1080i whichever was resolved as the best compatible resolution.

Your set-top box will very the output depending on the incoming content, this allowed your TV to adjust the resolution and aspect ratio. For example, if you were watch SD content (4:3@420) then your TV would upscale for full screen viewing (16:9@720/1080). However, the Revue doesn't have any aspect ratio adjustments for Live TV. So, it is showing you the native resolution of the content within the fixed output. To fill more of the screen, you would adjust the aspect and allow the set-top box to upscale instead of having the television do it.

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

eric4brs,
    I do understand. Like you said it wasn't broken before for the user and now it is broken. But I merely wanted to point out how what you think is not broken is broken in my view. A distorted aspect ratio is broken, even if you think it is better because it renders a larger picture. A smaller picture is more desirable if it is true to the image that was captured with the original lens/camera and aspect ratio. If you don't like the smaller picture then buy a bigger TV.

If you buy the foot long hot dog roll and then buy the regular size hot dog then you are going to end up with extra bread (same as the black borders). The solution is not to stretch out that hot dog because then you mess it up and end up with too much bread to meat ratio in every bite. So the solution is to ignore the extra bread (throw it away, don't eat it....don't look at and ignore the black borders...your hot dog is SD ....next time buy an HD Hot Dog - consume only HD content).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011