Quantcast

Standard Android Apps on Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by pratikpv84, Nov 18, 2013.

1. pratikpv84

pratikpv84 New Member

I bought LG 47GA6400 yesterday. It has Google play store app, so I thoguht I can download *most* of the great android apps and Games.

But i could not find gmail, angry birds, and other Standardandroid apps. Is there any workaround to get these apps?

Also what are best games availble on this TV? I updated my tv to 4.2.2 from 3.2

2. ericd

ericd Active Member

The Playstore hasn't been completely opened up for GTV users yet. Do you have another Android device you could side load apps from? If so I can walk you through the process.

I don't have any games downloaded so can't really help much there

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. pratikpv84

pratikpv84 New Member

I have collected some APKs. Please let me know how i can sideload APKs in to by LG GTV?

5. ericd

ericd Active Member

Download Dropbox onto your computer (it's free),open any browser on the tv to this page, click this link to download dropbox app https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3k26dqu14z1v52/Dropbox_2.3.10.4.apk. Add all the Apk's you have into dropbox on the computer, they'll automatically appear in the dropbox app.

You can also add the attatchment APK's to an email, email them to yourself then open the email on the Lg browser. Click on the attachment and the install process should begin

You can usually only email up to 25mb at a time. If you have multiple (or large) Apk's, dropbox is the easier way to sideload.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. pratikpv84

pratikpv84 New Member

dropbox sounds good idea. Thanks.

7. 1scallawag

1scallawag New Member

I just went to the Play Store and installed EverNote with no problem. All my notes synced perfectly and it's perfectly stable so far. I use EverNote because it syncs on all my devices which are Apple and Android. ES File Explorer File Manager also installs from the Play Store and is a nice app to have on your Google TV.

• Like Like x 2
  8. retroben

retroben Active Member

A method I have been using with free apps is much easier,but doesn't come from the play store.

You can visit wandoujia and appchina for a majority of apps with instant download,they are even in english when installed.
    There is also a market app for appchina.
    You will need ES File Explorer or any other file manager to select and install most APKs from other sites.
    Another place for apps is the 1mobile site which is currently having issues,so instead,you want to download the market app for it as well.
    It might not even force close in searches on JellyBean like it does on HoneyComb.
    And there is two other places I will refrain from mentioning.

Edit:This method does not require another android device or a computer.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  9. Dano

Dano New Member

ericd: I just started up GTV mainly for NBA Game Time app. There is a free version any android device can get and I have on my smartphone. I wanted to download same using my GTV so i could add premium to watch full games. The first time I found and tried to install the free NBA app. It said "not compatible with my device". After the first attempt, I cannot even see the NBA app logo anymore. I thought all the Google Play Store apps were available according to literature? Thanks for any info.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  10. ericd

ericd Active Member

Unfortunately, the Playstore isn't fully opened up to GTV users (even with the Jellybean update). Hopefully that will soon change but I haven't heard anything officially.

Here's the free Gametime App straight off the Playstore https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxswuv4oo57n0os/NBAGameTime_1.7.apk I'm not sure if you can upgrade it on your tv or not. If you upgrade the app on your phone, be aware, I haven't found a way to side-load upgraded or paid apps to your TV. Maybe somebody else knows, I've got a copy of Justin TV (paid app) that I can't move off my tablet.

If you already have the apps on your phone and just want to move them to the tv, you just need to use this app https://www.dropbox.com/s/v04kjdfln8c5757/ShareApps_1.9.8.apk and email it to the tv or open a dropbox account on both the TV and phone if you want to move more than a couple apps https://www.dropbox.com/s/6f2znrwn9gznud3/Dropbox_2.3.11.apk

For some reason, I couldn't move a couple apps using ShareApps but ES Fileexplorer moved them to my dropbox. You can download ES straight from the Playstore to your TV. It's got more functions than ShareApps but it's a lot more complicated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  11. Dano

Dano New Member

Thanks Eric, and others, re my question. Appreciate warning re: may not sideload premium. I do have free app on android phone, but will try loading the Gametime on GTV somehow- then try to update to premium. I don't want to watch entire games on my phone, so maybe buy a tablet if TV doesn't work! Thanks!

12. ericd

ericd Active Member

Sounds good, let us know if you get it working

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dano

Dano New Member

UPDATE: I put Dropbox on all my devices including TV (love dropbox for other files!). How do I find or get the APK files code for my existing Android apps?

I loaded ES file transfer and just like that I was in to the game time app. But unfortunately, it was just the first page that says "No games currently scheduled" even tho about 10 games going on. same for tomorrow and next day.

I may try to load an existing free app (APK) first to make sure i'm doing right. Then I may gamble and pay for NBA gametime on my smartphone. Then try to move over to TV.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  14. ericd

ericd Active Member

To add the apps from your phone to dropbox, you'll need to use either the share feature of ES File explorer (complicated to find) or use appshare https://www.dropbox.com/s/v04kjdfln8...Apps_1.9.8.apk

Once the apps load into Appshare, click on the app (or apps) you want to add, a window will appear with options to "add to dropbox", E-mail, Gmail, etc. You have to leave the phone on for the APK's to load to dropbox. Once it's added it will be on both versions of dropbox, just click the link and it will begin installing

Here's the updated Gametime App, loads right up but for some reason video highlights work instantly on my tablet but don't load on my TV at all. You may want to get with the app developer and let them know videos don't load on tv before you make a purchase https://www.dropbox.com/s/glkb6g1d40f3myq/NBAGameTime_2.3.apk

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Dano

Dano New Member

Eric, the 2.3 gameTime worked fine...I could see current and past scores etc. Did you notice that thing in upper right corner...looks like a bell on its side? If you click on it, it allows you to sign in if you already have a premium account. I'm tempted to try but will wait till price drop in January. Maybe $39 or less then.

Thanks for all your help. I am enjoying getting to know other parts of GTV and Chrome's access to entire web. And Dropbox...where have you been all my life.

Cu, dano

16. ericd

ericd Active Member

Can you play any video? If the videos don't play, I doubt the live feeds will either