Quantcast

ST Micro Announces Its Set-Top Box Processors Support Google TV Service

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 13, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

STMicro Announces Its Set-Top Box Processors Support Google TV Service | Benzinga (click for full article)

by Paul Quintaro, Benzinga Staff Writer -- September 13, 2013 9:33 AM

STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]), a global semiconductor leader serving customers across the spectrum of electronics applications, has introduced an upgrade to its Software Development Kit 2 (SDK2) that allows the development of Android-compliant devices and supports the latest Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) services for TV.

Currently, consumers can access Google services for TV by connecting a "buddy box" between the existing set-top box (STB) and TV. ST's new SDK2-Android v10.0 release will allow STB manufacturers to offer a simple solution that pre-integrates support for Google services for TV, combining OTT (over-the-top) content and traditional premium Pay-TV content, without requiring consumers to buy additional equipment.

The SDK2-Android v10 enables software development based on Android v4.2 (Jelly Bean). The development kit is now rolling out across ST's latest set-top box and home gateway processors, from the flagship STiH416 (Orly) to the recently introduced 'Cannes' (STiH3xx) and 'Monaco' (STiH407/STiH410/STiH412) families. The STiH416 fully supports the security requirements of Google services for TV and has passed the certification of the leading CA (Conditional Access) providers required to deploy any Pay-TV services in the world

Read more: STMicro Announces Its Set-Top Box Processors Support Google TV Service | Benzinga

2. xenon

xenon New Member

Hopefully someone does a box on the STiH416 which is a much more better chip than the Marvel Armada 1500 series currently used by most boxes, it has better performing hardware and has more robust media support with more formats, better image quality.

But given the tepid state of GoogleTV I'm not so hopeful.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I haven't read very much about this - but my first impression when I glanced at the article is that this primarily gives overseas TV operators the "option" to run GTV in their set-top boxes. So while it's a hopeful announcement - it's not a really an advancement in GTV gaining more market share yet. Currently their is only one TV provider (in Korea) that has GTV included in it's set-top box. That's it.

LG came out with IPTV cable TV boxes that support GTV in USA several months ago - but to the best of my knowledge no TV provider is using one yet:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/7957-cable-show-2013-lg-enters-cable-box-biz.html

* In the USA I don't think TV operators (such as Comcast) feel comfortable giving Google TV full control. One of the big problems is that Google TV comes with a full web browser and full access to the Google Play Store. Comcast doesn't want a full browser and unlimited apps running on their box.

Comcast and the USA TV providers want strict control. Another issue is that the TV operators don't want GTV making money by"piggybacking" on their content. Comcast and Charter have come out recently with their own new boxes that are much improved. So the need to "rely" on a system from Google TV is diminished.

IMO it's still a longshot that we'll ever see cable TV boxes with GTV built-in (in actual usage) in the USA.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013