Quantcast

Speedtest via Co-Star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by mgm1979, Oct 15, 2012.

1. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

What speed is everyone seeing, and what is your base connection speed at your location?

...via multiple machines in my house, we're receiving about 30-35MB down, yet when I try the very same speedtest on the co-stars, it only measures about 10MB; I've tried via wired connection (direct to modem/router) and wireless, with same results.

Tests (on all machines) were conducted via Google Chrome...

Is this data valid, or is there a variable I'm missing? If valid, is there anything that can be done to rectify the issue?

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

This speed test was done via the Vizio Co-Star chrome web browser @ Speedtest.net .... Using the Co-Star other speed test, I get speeds about the same as you get around 5MB to 10MB ...

I believe the Co-Star Speed test is defective, I could be wrong .... The only speed test I really care about is the Chrome browser speed test ... I knew when I purchased the Vizio Co-Star, speed was the game fuel for the Vizio Co-Star streaming multimedia ...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

My Co-Star results ARE via the baked-in Google Chrome browser...I wonder why my results are so much worse than yours?

4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

My speeds with Century Link are 40 MB download and 5 MB upload .....

5. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

I'm on the same plan, via the same provider...and mine definitely feels sluggish, so I'm believing my speedtest results to be accurate - wonder what is wrong, and what/if there is anything I can do to speed things up.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I believe your speed tests are wrong, if we have the same carrier and the very same plan ..... Then again, it all depends on what extras you have hooked up to your Co-Star to, try the speed test again ...

7. seanwi

seanwi New Member

The speed test from the settings menu in the co star is wrong!!
    I have 15M download package at my house and even the co star connected via wired connection i get 3.56M-4.5M download speed rate.

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Oh! Let me tell you guys another secret, I found this one doing a Google search ...(lol) Actually I have two Ethernet cables hooked up as one Ethernet cable running from the Co-Star to my router ....

Let me explain just what I did, I took a Ethernet cable cut the ends off, striped the wires back, and taped each end real tight to the Ethernet cable that going into the Co-Star and the router ... This set up suppose to make you data speed super fast, some people said it does not work, others say it works, but it seems to be working OK for me ..(lol) Their is a YouTube video about this set up too ...!

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try setting a static IP and see if you get better results.

Also try rebooting your router.

10. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

Ok, let's do a couple page loading tests, and see where things stand there...tonight when I get home, I'll clear the cookies/cache from the browser, and load Amazon (button), ESPN, and Engadget, and record the time it takes to load everything completely - I'll even load all 3 sites with the user agent as generic AND default, to see if that has any effect; you do the same, and let's see where things stand. I don't feel like my Co-Star is receiving data as fast as it should be, given my home's connection speeds. It's apparent outside of Chrome, as well - which is what piqued my curiosity to begin with.

11. CatfishRivers

I had posted this summary on another thread about wi-fi/router issues with GTV devices (before the Co-Star was ever released):

"I'll summarize the fixes (for GTV Wi-Fi & router issues) that were mentioned in the Wi-Fi thread (that I linked to in my previous post). Some posters mentioned that these various fixes worked for them. (Not all the same fixes work for everyone). I'm not sure if this will fix your specific speed problems on the Sony GTV with Comcast internet - but I suggest trying these:

1) "After I rebooted my wifi router everything seems to be woking fine for me....

2) "Have you tried setting static IP addresses? GTV Settings > Wi-Fi > Long Key Press of SSID under Wi-Fi Networks > Modify network and at the bottom you can switch it from DHCP to Static and provide the manual settings of the IP address information."

3) "I was able to get mine to connect by removing the WPA-PSK encryption. I even tried going back to it, and when I did, it again didn't work. So I now have the blu ray player working, but my network is no longer secure. I have a Dlink DI-524 wireless router (which is rather old)."

4) "Have you considered using a HomePlug AV Powerline Network instead of wireless? They are much more robust and don't have the latency problems which are inherit to WiFi networks. Both Logitech and Netgear make great models that have greater bandwith capacity and throughput than even 802.11n wireless access points."

5) "I was getting connection failed with my old router, too. I couldn't connect until I removed encryption on the router. Today, I picked up a D-Link DIR-601 on sale at Office Max for $30, and it works fine with the blu ray player with WPA/PSK encryption. My advice would be either to remove encryption or consider purchasing another router."

6) " I took the unit back to the store (after doing a factory reset on it) and exchanged it for another one. Hooked up the new one, and everything seems to be working great! No dropped connections, and even Netflix was streaming in HD. So it must have been a hardware-related issue. Now that it's working, we've really been enjoying the enhanced TV experience."

7) "My revue only works with an ethernet connection directly from my cable modem. It won't even work with an ethernet connection from my wireless router. I think it is because I have to find my revues mac address and add it to the list of allowed devices on my network. Anyone know where how to find the revues mac address?

solution: GTV Settings > Network > Status > Ethernet MAC address

"Thanks! The mac address was why my wifi was not connecting. Hope this helps others?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These fixes for Wifi/router issues were mentioned in other GTV threads:

1) "FWIW, I had the same issue post-upgrade on initial installation (though exercise extreme patience allowed me to connect a couple times, only to crash and reboot during the service provider setup).I tried resetting and many other random actions, however I have discovered that (for me) reconfiguring my wireless router to broadcast the SSID seems to have resolved the issue - not ideal, and if I change to non-broadcast the issue returns where it can't connect........"

2) "My Sony GTV is working! Call Sony @ 1 800 222 7669. I basically had to reset the entire system and would not have been able to do it without the support. The tech that assisted me said they have had calls on this issue so my recommendation is to call and you'll get it going again. Good luck"

3) "By the way, if you ever attempt via WiFi, you have to make sure to disable it and reboot it in order to use the Ethernet port. Otherwise, Google TV configures a private network attached to the Ethernet port while you are connected to WiFi. This will prevent you from obtaining an DHCP address from the subnet connected via Ethernet port because the DHCP client has been replaced by the private network's own DHCP server."

4) "Try to,
    Check if the password entered correctly or just use a simple password (for testing) .
    Mac address filter OFF (for testing)
    Change Router channel /frequency
    Reboot Modem/Router, - after the reboot-up process (Modem first wait ... then Router second wait ...- Reboot Revue. (or have Revue unplugged from power before Rebooting Modem/Router )
    Connect via wired (Ethernet) - then switch to Wifi
    Reboot Revue
    If all fail - do Factory- Reset"

5) "I've had a lot of trouble playing You Tube videos,both from the Chrome browser and from the Google TV app. In the app,they froze and in the browser,they paused and buffered constantly. They always played well on my Mac Mini,however.

Today,I went to Best Buy and bought a "range extender" to help my router send the signal farther.

Now,You Tube plays very well in the browser version! Not sure if I can play HD or not,but things are much better.

The app version of You Tube still plays terribly.

Made a good investment today!"

12. CatfishRivers

13. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

that's good info, except I have the same 'speed' issues via wired/ethernet connection to my modem/router, as well...I'll try the static IP in my testing tonight, though, and report back.

14. CatfishRivers

Have you tried rebooting your router? (i'm not quite clear if you tested it by ethernet directly to modem - with the router removed from your setup)?

15. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

Yes, and it is a brand new modem/router (one in the same, so impossible to segregate) from CenturyLink...ActionTec something-or-other (just upgraded to the 40MB service.

I can/will try rebooting it again for tonight's tests though, to make sure all bases are covered at the same time.