Quantcast

Speedtest question

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Rick44, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Another question. Just yesterday I was offered, by Verizon, a Quantum upgrade in my speed. I was 15/5 and was offered 50/35 for $5 more a month. I have used the speedtest site periodically, the last year-year and a half, to test the speed of both my laptop and my google tv. The laptop is connected wirelessly, the tv with ethernet.

After I get the upgrade I start checking my speed to see if the speed increase is there. With the tv, I don't know what is going on. The site as never loaded as quickly as it did with the laptop, but it is so much slower now. Maybe 2-3 minuted to even get to begin test. And I'm getting maybe 5/5 speed. One thing, I have not used the site in awhile,maybe a couple months. I can't say it's related to the quantum upgrade or if it's been slower for awhile because I think the system has been sluggish for awhile. I can say that when I used to test the speed that I pretty much always got at least the 15/5 I was supposed to get.

A Verizon tech helped me today with the laptop. I got up to 65/25 with an ethernet connection. According to her, they can't give guarantees on these speed increases with wireless connection. Kind of wish I knew that before I agreed to the deal. Best she could get me wireless was about 21/15 wireless. Still annoyed over that. I needed to be told this yesterday. I can do ethernet with the laptop, but, unlike using it with the tv, it's a pain.

I'm here for the tv, though. That has gotten much slower. Any suggestions on what I can do?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try factory resetting your GTV and your router.

Also as a troubleshooting measure try removing your router from your setup (connect directly to modem) - and see if you get better results with the speedtest.

3. Rick44

Rick44 Member

My router is Verizon's from when they set me up with FIOS 4 years ago. I didn't reset it, but the tech I spoke with today had me unplug it for 30 seconds in working with my laptop. I have the tv wired directly into the router. I don't use wireless with the tv. Remove the router from my setup? How would I do that? Can the router and modem be together? I don't think I have a separate modem.

Factory reset is your next step, Catfish? I got the tv about August of 2011. I'd have to redo the updates sine then, right? Would they just be offered Automatically?

4. CatfishRivers

There have been many posts on the forum about speed/router issues with GTV:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/6737-network-speed-test-via-co-star.html

In the above thread I posted links to threads with some troubleshooting measures that you can try.

After time GTV devices tend to get bogged down. I have found that a factory reset often helps speed things up.

Something else that you can try before doing a full factory reset is going to your settings and clearing all data from the Chrome browser app. Also try rebooting your Sony GTV by simultaneously pressing the CTL+ALT+BACKSPACE/DELETE buttons on your controller.

If that doesn't work then try the factory reset of your GTV. The new GTV update should be automatically installed on your GTV when you do a factory reset. Also reset your modem/router.

By the way I also suggest installing the Super Ram Booster android app on your GTV for faster web page loading:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rootuninstaller.rambooster&hl=en

Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Thanks for the tips and links. I downloaded that booster app. What exactly does it do? I see there is some sort of perpetual icon(or is it a widget?) that I can click on and it says the space that has been saved and the apps it's closed.
    I'll click on it 5 seconds apart and get pretty different figures. It just does it automatically? I haven't had much of a chance to see if it's made a real difference, but if it helps with memory issues I would think it would.

I think that is one of my main issues. You are on youtube for 20 minutes-half and hour and it just gets really sluggish. The mouse either freezes up or slows down considerably. It literally drags just trying to move it on the screen. Thing is, it didn't always do that. Not to this extent, anyway. I might get to that point eventually, but it took longer. I would not get an outright crash message, least not on youtube, but it becomes intolerably sluggish and slow. I would just reset it at that point.

I clicked on that thread link. The vizio is the newer google tv, right? I had better speeds than they do. Again, this is recent. I had 15/5 and almost always got that with speedtest. Before the last couple days, I hadn't done a test in I'm guessing 3-4 months, but I'd done probably several dozen since I got the tv, and I used to get the speed they advertised. Didn't mean the browser never got sluggish, though.

Another question perhaps you can help me with. Say I want to use the tv as a moniter for my laptop, what would be the best way to do this? Connect the hdmi port? I think there are 4 of them on my tv and I'm currently using 3.

6. CatfishRivers

The Super Ram Booster app increases the amount of available RAM (memory) by clearing the cache from your GTV apps. This function can be set-up to be done automatically (within the Ram Booster's settings menu). That is how I recommend that you use it. You can also use the Ram Booster settings menu to remove the icon so it won't be visible on your screen. There was a thread that I made that contains tips for using the Super Ram Booster app here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...tech-revue-run-faster-improved-stability.html

Also if you do not want to do a full factory reset - as I mentioned previously rebooting your device (CTL+ALT+BACKSPACE/DELETE buttons on your controller) will often improve speed if you sense that you are slowing down. Next I would try clearing data from the Chrome app. Next would be the factory reset. The factory reset is the most cumbersome of the three procedures - so often times you can get the improvement just by rebooting. But not always.

Yes I recommend that you use the HDMI port to connect your laptop to your TV.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. Rick44

Rick44 Member

As always, Catfish, thanks for the advice. Us computer illiterates need all the help we can get. I haven't tried the factory reboot yet, but I will let you know the results if I do. BTW, whenever I see your name I think of Catfish Hunter, the late baseball pitcher.

8. CatfishRivers

I'm not sure if you've tried the regular reboot procedure yet?(CTL+ALT+BACKSPACE/DELETE buttons on your controller.) Or clearing the data from the Chrome browser?

But I would give those a try before trying the full factory reset. You might be able to improve your speed enough without going through the extra trouble of the full factory reset.

9. Rick44

Rick44 Member

The ctl/alt/del I do all the time. Do it a couple times a day. When it gets really slow and draggy. Haven't done the google chrome data clear. The other thread, with my youtube problem, you had me do it in the last month. Last time I did it I lost about 40 bookmarks that I had. Took me awhile to save them all again. Can I clear it without losing them? Not that I'm unwilling to do it if it really made a difference. Just saying that I did it not that long ago. Should I do it
    again anyway?

A question I forgot about the laptop hookup with the tv. How would I control it? I mean without holding the laptop? Is there some sort of handheld device I get or would I be able to use the google tv remote control? You see I don't use it with my other devices currently. My cable box and blu ray player I use their own remote controls. I saw that IR blaster but never really used it.

One last question. That booster app. Even on the tv, when I'm not using the net, I see that widget/tiny icon. Is there a way to get rid of it so it's not always visible?

10. CatfishRivers

Rick something else you can try if you don't want to do the full Chrome data clear - is go to settings and clear browsing history. The Smart Ram booster will automatically clear the Chrome cache. This way you won't lose your browser cookies and bookmarks. If this doesn't help then you would move on to trying the Chrome data clear - then next try a full factory reset if you are not satisfied with the results from Chrome data clear.

But to answer your question - YES there is a way to save (sync) your GTV bookmarks to your Google account.. Once you do this they will be automatically restored when you do a full factory reset (or the full Chrome data clear). Here is the procedure (kudos to Carl for posting this) from another thread on the Forum:

**"We actually have two Bookmark screens. If your account is properly synced you should see a bookmark screen that has an "Other Bookmarks" folder. Many will remember that when we first logged on this is the Bookmark screen we saw. But w/Factory resets and upgrades, this screen reverted back to the unsynced bookmark page. Remember, the Logitech Revue bookmarks are not saved to Google Bookmarks.

From Chrome>Settings>Google Chrome Sync>checkmark (Sync browser bookmarks w/your Google Acct)>Google Account (Select an Account to sync)>Choose Acct.

The obvious missing link has been clicking on each acct you want to sync.

Now you will see the screen that has the Other folder. You can now save sites to this page. Just go to sites and add yer bookmarks as you normally would. The other folder you can use for sites that you want separate from the main folder. For example I use it for Movies and Videos.

Now, you can also go back and forth from the synced bookmark page to the unsynced w/out loosing any of the synced sites. This is great for retrieving saved Favs and adding them to the synced page. Just remember to repeat the steps in settings.

So to recap: we have two Bookmark pages. One we will only see if the account is properly synced."**

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick for your laptop you probably would want to use a wireless keyboard. You could also use your mobile phone to control your laptop if it has bluetooth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To remove the widget from the Ram Booster app go to the settings from within the app. Next click where it says: "Overlay Widget Settings". Next uncheck the box that says: "Show Overlay Widget"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  11. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Catfish, I always do a clear from the chrome browser. Usually at the end of every day. The one, from settings, that clears everything. The history, cookies and cache. I've always done browser clears, every since I had the tv. So, that's not it.

I didn't want to but I think I'm going to have to do the factory reset. I shouldn't spend 30 minutes watching videos on youtube and it be so clunky that I have to do the ctl alt del. I shouldn't have to do it 3-4 times in a day. Mind you, I give my browser a workout, but I always have since I got it. Plus, the speedtest. Readings that are slower than I ever had. It's always 5-6 in download now when it was never less than 15 before. And I have the FIOS Quantum now which I didn't before. My speed was 15/5 before and should be 50/25 now. And I'm wired into the router with the tv. A few times I didn't even get a download speed. I had a ping and upload but download was blank. The test definitely takes longer to run. I mean the entire process. From entering the site until the test is finished. Definitely takes longer till I even get the begin test screen.

I realized, after my post, that I have a 2005 windows xp laptop. I have no hdmi port on the laptop. Did some reading and saw that I have a vga port. And that you can get a vga to hdmi converter. I read that adjusting for the resolution difference can be a problem sometimes. Looks like my laptop only goes up to 1280x 800. Looks like the tv is 1920x1040. How would I account for that difference?