Quantcast

Speakers 'popping' with pass-through audio

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by DrWatson, Jan 21, 2013.

1. DrWatson

DrWatson New Member

I have just taken delivery of my Co-Star and am having a fairly annoying problem with it, which I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

I have a media-center PC which runs through my AVR (Pioneer VSX-1122-k) to the TV which works without issue. All audio plays back fine.

I bought the Co-Star so I could easily watch Netflix and upcoming Amazon Prime as well as browse the web, etc.

Things didn't get off to a great start, with the 'Out-Of-Box-Experience' app crashing halfway through... However, after the firmware update, everything generally seems to be OK.

I now have the media-center PC plugged into the 'HDMI In' on the Co-Star with the 'HDMI Out' going to the AVR. Video playback seems fine, no obvious problems, however there is a really annoying audio problem... Everytime any sound is played the speakers 'pop' when the audio starts and when the audio finishes. Not too bad if you're watching a film, but when you're scrolling through a menu and every option is 'pop'<sound>'pop' it spoils the experience somewhat.

Taking the Co-Star out the loop, this doesn't occur.

I've tried setting the HDMI Audio options on the Co-Star to be 'Auto' which has had no affect.

I chatted with Vizio support who blamed my AVR and said plugging the Co-Star into the TV would fix the problem... Er... OK then... However they couldn't offer any suggestions on what settings I should have for the AVR to fix it.

Has anyone any thoughts / comments / experience they could draw on to help me out, as I don't want to return it but it's not looking good so far :(?

(Also it won't play back some DTS audio, such as District 9, which works fine direct to the AVR)

2. roll3r

roll3r New Member

I'm not in front of my Co-Star (so I don't remember the *exact* spot to configure this), but there should be a second field on the settings>audio screen where you can select PCM for HDMI audio out. Give that a shot.

As for DTS, don't hold your breath. Vizio didn't want to pay to license the codec, so your only option is convert the DTS stream to AC3 (I used PopCorn MKV AudioConverter 1.87.6 - VideoHelp.com Downloads), or transcode and stream it with something like Plex (you'll only get 2.0 audio if you go the transcode>stream route).

3. DrWatson

DrWatson New Member

Just to provide an update on this, I tried changing the setting on the Co-Star to PCM, and got no audio at all.

I tweaked and changed settings on the AVR and on the media center, but just couldn't get the sound to work properly.

Taking the Co-Star out of the loop resulted in perfect audio every time, so despite what the CSR at Vizio claims, the Co-Star is definitely the problematic device.

And so I've returned it to Amazon for a refund, as it's pretty useless to me if audio isn't working properly.