Quantcast

Spare (Second) Remote for Sony Google TV/Bluray Player

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by bibeaud, Nov 13, 2010.

1. bibeaud

bibeaud New Member

Is there a second or spare remote control available for the Sony Google TV/Bluray player?

As we know, the current one is difficult to use in a dark room since it is not backlite. I see that Logitech has a smaller remote for the Review, but I heard this does not work with the Sony Google TV/Bluray player.

2. firemandan9

firemandan9 New Member

I have gotten a lot of confusing advice on the interoperability of the remotes between brands of Google TV. Also looking for whatever information someone might be able to confirm.

3. mthomas

mthomas New Member

The remote on the Sony Internet TV has been a real problem for me too. My goal is to have two remotes, one for myself and one for my wife.

I ordered a second remote from Sony, only to discover that only one remote can be paired to the TV at a time. I specifically asked the salesperson at Best Buy if a second remote was supported and available and was assured there would be no problem. I should have known better than to trust him.

I plugged an old RF wireless home theater PC keyboard into a USB port and that works pretty well. The only thing missing was a power button. The keyboard is huge though, so the search continues.

I ordered a cheapo infrared Windows Media Center remote and plugged it into a USB port. Most everything works except the 0 through 9 buttons and the Channel Up / Down buttons. Hmmm. These are kind of important. I tried the same remote plugged into a PC and confirmed that the missing buttons were working fine. I assume that Google TV is blocking these buttons on an IR remote (and not on the RF keyboard I tried before) intentionally because they might interfere with an IR set top box?

My best solution to date is to use a learning IR remote (a $20 Sony RM-VL600) and load it with IR codes for my set top box and then overlay it with codes learned from the cheapo MCE remote above. I'm using the USB IR adapter which came with the MCE remote. With this rig I'm using IR to talk to the TV and IR to talk directly to the set top box (no need for IR blaster from TV to set top box).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  4. scurr

scurr New Member

lenovo mini wireless keyboard works in my logitech revue..

5. bibeaud

bibeaud New Member

Logitech Mini Controller works. Dongle plugs into a USB port. I have the Sony BluRay Box.

Thanks!
    David
    Sent from my iPhone using
    Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011