Quantcast

Space for apps

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Elkabong, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Elkabong

Elkabong New Member

As we anxiously await the update for the Logitech Revue, I was hoping someone could answer a quick question. Approximately how much free storage space will the Revue have for downloading and installing apps? Also, can apps be installed to a secondary storage device (USB drive) similar to what Android phones allow with an SD card? Thanks in advance for your replies!

2. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

My GTV 1.0 has about 400 megs available for apps. I don't know how much GTV 2.0 takes, but likely more than GTV 1.0. I would assume 350 megs for storage and you can't install apps to an external USB. Note most apps are less than 10 megs, just games could be more.

3. futuregerald

futuregerald New Member

I hope that they at least allow you to move apps to external storage the way they do apps2sd on phones because you'll find how quickly the storage goes. I remember when I got my nexus one and the first few months it seemed like I had more storage than I would need then it reached a point where i felt like i was always deleting stuff to install new stuff. I doubt I'll be playing any games on GTV though because I have enough other devices that I game on that are fare more powerful so maybe 400 mb will be enough. we'll see. I will mostly want great media players, great dlna app and hopefully something like vlc that supports all formats plus softsubs. I'm sure my wife would want something like a TMZ app also...

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Maybe in a future version but it isn't currently possible.

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    How much NAND Flash Storage a device has and how much RAM it has are totally different things. Also the NAND Flash Storage is used for both the system so part of it is thus reserved and then the remaining part is what the user gets to use for installing apps. This is why there are so many different sizes being reported for the same device (because people often don't know what they are saying). You need to be specific when talking about this subject....you can't just call it all memory or RAM or Storage without both the person talking and the person listening being on the same page (really understanding each other). There is Storage for apps and data. Separately there is RAM memory for running the OS and apps that you launch. You don't install apps to RAM.

The Revue has 4GB of NAND Flash Storage. About 3GB is reserved for the system and that leaves about 1GB for installing apps. And you can't use this 1GB now because you can't install apps. The pre-installed apps (Netflix, Pandora..etc) all use up part of the 3GB reserve...you'll never be able to uninstall pre-installed apps. The actual amount of RAM the Revue has is 1GB (this has nothing to do with the 1GB of space for installing apps). If you check under Settings/About and scroll down you can see that you have probably around 400 MB remaining (of this 1GB RAM)...this is referring to just the RAM that is not part at all of the 4GB NAND Flash Storage.

So the Revue has...

4GB NAND Flash Storage (like a hard drive) -- > where about 3GB is system (OS + preloaded apps) and where about 1GB remaining is for installing apps (once the market opens). Flash is not RAM.

1GB of RAM --> That the system uses to run - if you power off (unplug) your device this gets totally wiped...this is not storage. On typical use you have about 400MB free.....if you have a lot of apps running you may have less. On fresh reboot you'll have a bit more.

This is no different from your PC. You a have hard drive for storage (same purpose as Flash storage) and you have RAM to launch and run the OS and your applications while the system is up.

I find it very inappropriate to say that the Revue has 5GB of anything. You can't lump it all together as they are different things. There is 4GB of Flash and separately 1GB of RAM (different animals). You wouldn't say a car has 5 wheels would you? It has 4 wheels and 1 spare....although I know this isn't the best analogy but you get the idea.

The Sony Google TV has 1GB of RAM. And I've read reports that is has 8GB of NAND Flash (Storage). Which could potentially be that of this 8GB it could have more than 1GB available for installing apps.....we won't know until we can install some apps that are utilities to inspect the flash storage partitions. Now that some Sony devices have Android 3.1 perhaps they now have a way of checking. Same goes for the Ruvue.

Remember this too which might help understand these concepts.....if you unplug power to your Google TV device all of RAM is completely erased. Only the NAND Flash storage is kept....this is where the OS resides (reserved space), where the factory installed apps reside (also reserved space), where your data and configuration is stored and where you can install apps (the data you can erase and do as you want with).

I don't know if we will be able to install apps to USB storage. I suppose those with Android 3.1 can test this and report back. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no. SD storage on an Android phone is different in that it is a physical memory slot that is semi-permanent. I don't know how Android would behave if you install an app to external storage and then remove the USB storage where it was installed. I'm not willing to even test this on my Android phone by removing the SD card and booting up the phone...it might wreck some havoc. Perhaps we can get someone who was daring enough with their Android phone to let me know how Android behaves in this case. I did find an Unmount SD card under my phone settings and when you click that it says that the installed apps will not be available. So will Google TV have similar functionality relationship with external USB storage???? ​

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  6. futuregerald

futuregerald New Member

It simply can't load the assets that are stored on SD, this is what happens when you unmount the SD while it's on. once you mount the sd it works again like normal. Apps that need the SD just won't work normally but will go back to normal once the SD is mounted again.

Also while you can say usb isn't "permanent" it's certainly not out of the question to allow you to move to usb or to just have apps use the usb for storage and keep the main apk on NAND. I understand the concepts you are speaking of, I do IT after all and i've hacked my fair share of devices.