Quantcast

Sound Quality and Playing Music Questions

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by atmusky, Dec 19, 2011.

1. atmusky

atmusky New Member

Hello All,

First my setup is a Revue (it has the 3.1 upgrade) attached to a TiVo Premiere going to a Onkyo TX NR807 receiver. I also have 2 other HD TiVos attached directly to the NR807.

The sound quality question has to do with what the Revue does to the sound coming from my Premiere. The Onkyo identifies the sound coming from the Revue as "multich". If the TiVo is connected directly to the NR807, the Onkyo identifies the sound as either "All channel Stereo" or "PL II Movie". The reason this matter to me is that the sound when the Revue is connected is noticeably inferior to when the Revue isn't connected. I have also tested this by switching from the Premiere coming through the Revue and one of my other TiVos, while on the same channel playing music videos and by switching between Pandora streams on both TiVos. The sound when coming directly from a TiVo is fuller and richer than when it comes through the Revue (I am not talking about a volume issue). Is there anything I can do to stop the Revue from processing/degrading the sound stream?

My second question has to do with playing music from my NAS. I have an Iomega StorCenter ix2-200 NAS attached to my network. The Revue sees and reads files from the NAS just fine, I can view pictures and do get the album art and song information. The music files are all .wma files and were ripped using windows media player on an Win XP box to the wma lossless format. I have tried both the Logitech Media Player and the aVia media player. Both players do the same thing, show the album art, show the songs, and act like they are going to play the songs but when I click on the play buttons nothing happens (no error messages - just nothing). If I can not get the first problem fixed I really will not want to play music through the Revue anyways but thought I would ask.

Thanks,

atmusky

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Re: Your second question.
    Could it be that your Onkyo doesn't support .wma lossless files?
    I also use Windows Media Player to rip cd's, but save them as .wma non-lossless or .wav. My Revue plays them fine. My receiver is a Yamaha RX-V3800, and only supports .wma non-lossless, .mp3, and .wav.
    I.d suggest trying .wma non-lossless or .wav as a test to see if the problem is with your Revue or your receiver.
    Sorry I can't help with your first question.

3. atmusky

atmusky New Member

Thanks for the response. No the Onkyo can play the .wma lossless files - the Onkyo receiver can actually stream from the NAS without any problems. However my understanding is that the Revue is the device that has to be able to "play" the file when you try streaming music through the Revue from a NAS.

Anyone else have any ideas on my 2 questions?

Thanks,

atmusky

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011