Quantcast

Sound Cuts Out (NSZ-GT1)

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by Sutcliffe, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe New Member

I've had the NSZ-GT1 for a while and generally I like it but the sound cuts out now and again for no apparent reason. It’s starting to do it almost every time I play a disc (blu-ray or DVD). I haven’t noticed it on streaming, but I haven’t been using streaming much lately. The receiver is clearly loosing audio only (picture is fine although being run through the receiver as well). It is not repeatable, ie I’ll rewind the disc and the sound will play. I’ve tried switching HDMI cables, to no avail. Any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

HDMI audio or optical audio? Output PCM or bitstream? If your receiver can decode HDMI audio, does the problem occur with both connections? Directly to the HDTV, same problem?

3. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe New Member

I am using HDMI audio. I do not know PCM or bitstream. I have not tried hooking up my player directly to the tv. Previously I had a basic blu-ray player setup and never had a problem. When I got my Google TV device I just switched out with the old blu-ray player.

4. ChrisG8

Bitsream lets the AV Receiver decode audio and you will see Dolby Digital or DTS light up on the receiver while PCM is the decoded digital audio and means the player is decoding. The option is under settings in the menu but I don't recall whether PCM or bitstream is default. I suggest taking audio directly to the HDTV for test purposes to see if the problem persists, that would be meaningful information as would knwing whether the issue exists for either PCM or bitstream since your previous Blu-ray player was one or the other and may have had exactly the same problem given the same settings.

5. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe New Member

Hopefully it's fixed. It looks like it was the HMDI cable after all. I had previously switched cables and got the exact same problem, but on a whim I bought a brand new cable. Both my cables were about 2 1/2 years old. I'm not sure if it was a standard change or the cables are wearing out or what.

Over the weekend I watched about 5-6 hours of streaming videos, DVDs and Blu-Rays without a single interruption. Typically I couldn't watch a half an hour without one.

6. ChrisG8

Although certainly unlikely you would have two consecutive bad HDMI cables, it isn't impossible and if it is working properly now, that is good news.

7. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe New Member

I agree who heartedly that it doesn't make sense, but watched another couple hours without interupt last night. Thanks for the advice!

8. sludgepickle

sludgepickle New Member

This is always happening when I watch DVDs as well. It mutes the sound for a good 3-5 seconds randomly a few times during a 2 hour movie. I doubt it's my HDMI cable, but I suppose it's a possibility...any other ideas?

9. Sutcliffe

Sutcliffe New Member

Sadly I have nothing new to tell you sludgepickle. My problem persists. It comes and goes (the new HDMI cables seem to coincide with a going). I've never seen it happen on streaming, DVDs and Blu-ray only. I do not believe I have ever seen it on a DTS encoded disc, but I have so few of those it may be coincidence. Honestly at this point, I'm just going to get another Blu-ray player when I get a bit of spare cash. It has served me well as a streaming device, but for discs it is junk. :'(

10. ChrisG8

I use two of these for Blu-ray and DVD without audio dropouts, one is connected by optical and the other by HDMI, both to Yamaha AVRs. Both are set to have the AVR decode audio.