Quantcast

Sony’s voice remote - Your Hands On Experience

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by revue5, Mar 11, 2013.

1. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

.....................................................Ask it anything.

Instantly access the power of the Internet by speaking into the remote's built-in microphone.
    Click the microphone button and tell it to find your favorite TV show or ask a question like
    "How to tie a bow-tie". Your results will be displayed your TV on a new visual search results
    page making the answer to anything just a click away

...................Sony's new voice remote control - model: NSG-MR7U (optional)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. mrtuneup2

mrtuneup2 New Member

Just ordered mine.... When will the software update come?

4. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Also noticed the price of the GS7 has come down to $169-SWEET.Gonna wait to read some hands on experience on the remote.Sounds almost too good to be true.Sony has the best chance at having the best GTV on the market if the upgrades stay current.Sony is going to take the lead! :cool:

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have not seen an announcement regarding timing of the update, I will guess we will get it when it is ready, I am still thinking before April 1.

6. twospirits

twospirits Member

Besides the update (which we know will probably come this quarter) my only question is when will this new remote start to appear in packaging with the main device.
    Considering that Sony has failed to make any mention of a remote upgrade to the new device for current owners, (either via a trade in or a discounted price), I would hate to go out and get another NSZ-GS7 and find the older remote in the box, to only have to again pay $50+ for a newer remote.

Reaching out to Sony for more info, but I doubt I'll get anything other than a usual non-generic response that won't satisfy current owners.

TS

7. ChrisG8

I certainly don't have any inside information but I don't think this remote is ever coming packaged with the NSZ-GS7, I expect manufacturing of that Google TV box has finished, no more will be made and if that is correct, the chances Sony will open existing boxes and swap remotes are nil. Since the NSZ-GP9 was cancelled, a replacement for the NSZ-GS7 is the only likely way to get this remote included and who knows if or when that happens. Inquiry with Sony about whether inclusion of the NSG-MR7U is planned is the best hope to get an official answer but I expect the typical response, no plans exist at this time. I won't bother to inquire but somebody should and see what Sony says.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ChrisG8

Just think about the expense and headache to change and start including the NSG-MR7U instead of the NSG-MR5U, new manuals, new pictures on box or stickers to be placed on each box, I don't ever recall that happening with a device that is no longer being manufactured. When the NSZ-GP9 was cancelled, I bought an NSZ-GS7, but I wanted the NSZ-GP9 and settled for something less. If Sony plans another production run with the NSZ-GS7, it might happen, but the model number will be changed slightly and new boxes and manuals offered as well covering operation of the new remote.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

So this remote is different than the one that already comes with the GS7?

10. ChrisG8

Includes a microphone is the only difference I can see.

11. twospirits

twospirits Member

Well being that you put it that way, yeah I can see them not updating existing retail packages. But for future ones I do not see a problem inserting the new remote.
    Their response confirms it...

So like you mentioned, from the response I take it that the newer remote will never be included in future retail packaging from them, Granted the remote is not expensive but this places the buyer (especially future ones) to have two remotes if they decide to buy the newer voice-activated one.

Oh well, it was wishful thinking on my part.

TS

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sony releases voice remote for Google TV box (click for full article)

by Quentyn Kennemer March 12, 2013

"Sony's NSZ-GS7 has proven itself to be a very capable Google TV device (read our Sony NSZ-GS7 review), but one unfortunate omission had Sony users looking to take full advantage of Google TV V3's voice features dead in the water... until now. Since Sony's original remote didn't include a microphone for voice input, the home electronics manufacturer will release a new edition of the remote to ensure full compatibility with Google TV V3. That's the good news.

The bad news, natch, is that you'll be asked to cough up another $50 if you want the thing. That's a steep price to pay when you've already spent more than a hundred bucks for the unit, and perhaps Google could have offered the remote at a discounted price or an exchange program for those who already purchased the box. After all, $50 just to get a microphone isn't our idea of handy, dandy or anything of the sort. That said, if you have no problem shelling out $50 for it you can head right here and take care of that.

[via GTVSource]"

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  13. CatfishRivers

From the article:

"Google could have offered the remote at a discounted price or an exchange program for those who already purchased the box. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to agree. I recall back in the day when the MSNTV2 was first launched - that Microsoft offered a hefty rebate coupon for those original WebTV owners that upgraded to the MSNTV2. And besides Google's doing terrific - their stock is over $800 (right near an all-time high) and GTV needs a boost! C'mon Google it's time to open up the wallet-:)

http://www.slashgear.com/googles-stock-may-break-1000-within-a-year-11273397/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah the memories this article brings back -:)

http://www.directionsonmicrosoft.com/sample/DOMIS/update/2005/10oct/1005urfmt2.htm

From the article:

"Microsoft is also offering a US$100 rebate on MSN TV 2 through Jan. 31, 2006, cutting the price of the product in half (not including subscription fees)."

14. twospirits

twospirits Member

From the email I received from from Sony and Chris' excellent post one can deduct that there won't be any discount or trade in. But It does make me wonder if the device is nearing its EOL and a new one is coming around the corner.

Again wishful thinking on my part.

TS

15. ChrisG8

I hope a new model is coming soon from Sony also but I have seen nothing to make me believe that is happening. Target, Best Buy, and Amazon all still have NSZ-GS7 stock so I don't see anything that indicates this model will soon be discontinued. That is the bad news but the good news is I think this is still the best streaming box around, more expensive than most others but worth it in my opinion.

16. donc13

donc13 Member

Hummm.... Google doesn't own Sony nor does Sony own Google. So no matter how much Google stock is worth... It doesn't give Sony one penny to compensate Sony for a discount on the "microphone. "

All businesses are in business to make money. Sure, some have loss leaders to lure you in, but in case you hadn't noticed, Sony isn't in the greatest financial shape lately.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

17. ChrisG8

My best guess is Sony has lost money on Google TV and giving away remotes would only make it worse so that wouldn't likely make any business sense at all. I also believe Sony can sell this remote at $50 and make a profit, it won't be a huge seller but if it works with the other Google TV boxes, it will probably do alright. I haven't seen anything regarding whether or not it will work with the other Google TV boxes. Someone owning the NSZ-GS7 and one of the other second generation models could check the NSG-MR5U, if it works so will the MR7U. Alexander, the developer of the ViMu media player is the only member I have noticed that can check, hopefully he will let us know at some point. I think the Vizio player is a bigger seller than the Sony NSZ-GS7 and some owners might want a remote with microphone, maybe the NSG-MR7U can be paired with that box.

18. CatfishRivers

Google makes more from GTV than the GTV hardware manufacturers make on their thin hardware margins. The more GTV devices that are in use (with satisfied customers) - the more revenue Google makes from the Google Play Store & YouTube rentals/sales - plus advertising revenues are increased by more GTV devices in use.

I've heard it mentioned that Google is unlikely to give up in their pursuit of the living room - but in case you haven't noticed GTV hardware is not selling well. In the current business model Google might want to continue GTV - but it would be rather difficult without hardware partners. The lion's share of money to be made by the success of GTV will be Google's - not the poor hardware partners eeking out a paltry profit on GTV's OS.

IMO a 50% off coupon issued by Google (not Sony) for the new remote with mic would make good business sense for Google. I admit it's not likely to happen - I mentioned Google stock as a "joke".

* I recall the old Microsoft MSNTV units were all manufactured by independent hardware partners - yet it was Microsoft issuing the lion's share of the rebate coupons for substantial discounts off the hardware. So this kind of thing is not unheard of.... (Microsoft wanted more MSNTVs in the wild - they benefited from more units being sold - and Microsoft issued the coupons for discounts on the hardware (made by independent manufacturers).

19. donc13

donc13 Member

Google has to be "neutral" relative to hardware mfgrs. So they couldn't offer a coupon only for Sony, they'd have to offer the equivalent to all mfgrs.

Fact is, technology stuff is constantly changing. To offer discounts every time something new comes out is not a good way to stay profitable.

Most people knew what they were buying and felt what they paid for it was reasonable. After all, they DID buy it. They got what they paid for.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

20. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

The update for "voice search" app is ... Now Rolling Out .. here

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 2