Quantcast

Sony Working On NSZ-GS8 Google TV Device; Gets Wi-Fi Certification

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 22, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sony working on NSZ-GS8 Google TV device (click for full article)

by Guarav Shukla - April 21, 2013

"Looks like Sony is working on a new Google TV device that might debut at the upcoming Google I/O dev conference. Dubbed as NSZ-GS8, this Sony Internet Player with Google TV was spotted on Wi-Fi certification website and will succeed the company's existing NSZ-GS7 Google TV player.

There are no details available right now, but we can expect it to come with the latest Google TV version.

Despite getting support from manufacturers, Google TV hasn't been able to gain much traction among consumers and we don't see that happening any time soon.

Asus, Hisense, TCL, LG, Vizio, and Sony are some of the nine Google TV partners, which sell their Google TV devices in 10 countries around the world.

In related news, Asus recently started taking pre-orders for Cube with Google TV box in the United States for $139.99."

• Like Like x 2
  2. twospirits

twospirits Member

Nice. Looking forward to seeing it.

If it shows up at Google I/O it may have the new features. Possibly gaming. Now if it has playstation support, it will surely be awesome.

TS

3. CatfishRivers

Here is a link to the WiFi Certified web site. Scroll down their web page and you will see the NSZ-GS8 is the most recent Sony device listed (listed on April 10th):

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/sea...ch=1&lang=en&filter_category_id=14&listmode=1

On that web site they have the PDF file of the Sony NSZ-GS8 certificate. If you have a PDF viewer you can view it. It's the same certificate pictured in the article - only the PDF version is nice and large so it's easy to read.

* I searched on the Sony Store web site and they don't have the NSG-GS8 listed yet.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. twospirits

twospirits Member

As i look at the Sony box I see that it has an FCC ID of MCL J20H045 which is the Foxconn Wifi component. I figure why not search the FCC database to see if another one was approved.. Interesting to see there was.

But going back to the J20H045, the dates are odd.
    MCL J20H045
    06/25/2012 NSZ-GS7 goes on pre-sale on Sony Site
    07/22/2012 NSZ-GS7 on shelves (according to wikipedia) which is odd since how can it be on shelves if it wasn't Wifi Certified by that date. I do not remember if that was a error and it was actually on sale much later.
    07/30/2012 Wifi Certified in the Sony NSZ-GS7 (Wifi Certificate WFA 16227)
    08/31/2012 FCC approved

anyway,

Foxconn has made a newer Wifi component
    MCL M26H002
    03/08/2013 appears in the FCC
    04/10/2013 Wifi Certified (WFA 19364) I believe this is the same component showing up in the Wifi Certification docs above.

With Google I/O fast approaching it would be interesting to see if the device shows up at the event and or with the newer features that Google may showcase at the event.

TS

• Like Like x 2
  5. CatfishRivers

I noticed that the now (apparently) defunct Sony NSZ-GP9 GTV blu-ray player was Wi-Fi certified on July 26, 2012.

Thus the fact that the new NSZ-GS8 has been Wi-Fi certified is actually no guarantee that Sony will follow through and bring it to market. I would say that the odds favor it coming to market though.

I wonder why Sony apparently decided not to bring the NSZ-GP9 GTV blu-ray player to market - but now are willing to make a new production run for a new GTV set-top box model (the NSZ-GS8)?

IMO there is probably a better profit-margin on the set-top box (without the blu-ray). Also Sony probably feels that with the lower price (compared to a GTV blu-ray) - the sales potential is higher for a set-top box.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I'll get one as soon as it hits the Sony website!Hopefully it will come with jellybean 4.2.I'll move my GS7 to the bedroom and pack up my Revue.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I hope it is a new model with better processor and 2GB RAM but I wouldn't be surprised if the NSZ-GS8 is really just an NSZ-GS7 with the new remote with voice control.

8. twospirits

twospirits Member

hmmmm I hope you are wrong, but i wouldn't doubt it that they would be that sneaky.

TS

9. sharonj

sharonj New Member

Thus the fact that the new NSZ-GS8 has been Wi-Fi certified is actually no guarantee that Sony will follow through and bring it to market. I would say that the odds favor it coming to market though.