Quantcast

SONY: We trust and buy the brand SONY - We deserve some News About JB and NSZ-GS7/8

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by ulises1954, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

After all the problems that the LG Google TV users are having, after updating to Jelly-Bean, I am starting to believe that perhaps Sony is purposely delaying the update, perhaps because they want to Fix and adapt some APPs to work better...

May be they do not want to rush as did LG-Electronics, as it seems from what I read now have many complaints, so that some LG-Google-TV users want to revert to the previous 3.2, because although it works faster, they really do not notice many improvements or changes in the new Jelly-Bean.

However, of one thing I am sure of:

I do not think Sony is going defraud us... They will launch the Jelly-Bean update, but the problem is when?

As there is so much confusion and misinformation, I really think it's time that SONY at least say something, about the Jelly-Bean for the NSZ-GS7/8!!

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Sony Bravia Smart Stick w/Google Services (NSZ-GU1) was just released on September 18th. Sony is blatantly advertising it as having a Chrome web browser with Flash. Which it does currently have now because it's on the GTV Honeycomb OS. However we all know that the GTV Jellybean update removes Flash from the Chrome browser. Would this be a form of 'false' advertising if Sony were to update their Bravia stick to GTV Jellybean soon? Maybe this is why they're not updating now?

Here is the link to the Sony blog and you can see they mention the Bravia stick has Chrome with Flash:

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-introduces-bravia-smart-stick-with-google-services/

From the Sony blog:

"The Chrome™ browser is built for speed, simplicity and efficiency, and features a Flash Media Player, enabling viewers to enjoy endless video content with easy, engaging interactivity."

And here from the Sony Store they make the same claim about Flash:

BRAVIA Smart Stick with Google Services - Internet Players Sony Store - Sony US

Some people might base their buying decision based on Sony's claim that the NSZ-GU1 has Flash - and then become upset if soon after their purchase Flash was removed (due to the Jellybean update)?

Maybe Sony prefers to leave their GTV devices on Honeycomb with Flash capability?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The situation with Adobe Flash Player may indeed be the reason Sony has been silent regarding the update to Jelly Bean. The solution in my opinion is to offer the update as an optional update for those that are willing to leave Adobe Flash Player behind now. I am certainly willing to do so since I will still have media streamers with Adobe Flash for the few sites that will require it for now. I think ESPN3 requires it for Google TV, I can't think of anything else I need that does but that is a really big one for me. There may be other streaming sites I use that require it but I can't think of any.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I think Sony is quiet because they don't announce things when we want to hear something but when they're ready.

Also it's kind of hard for them to "defraud" anyone when they invariably stick "(*) All specifications are subject to change." in their fine print.

5. CatfishRivers

Where do you see the "All specifications are subject to change" notice on any of the current Sony NSZ-GU1 web pages? I looked for it and couldn't find anything. I don't see the subject to change notice in the NSZ-GU1 footnotes.

Here are the Sony NSZ-GU1 footnotes buried in the fine print:

1. Live TV requires off air or other methods of TV transmission. Fees may apply.2. Broadband speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD). Content subject to change and may require fees. Wireless connectivity requires an 802.11 home network (802.11n recommended).
    3. Universal Remote - Not all products are supported.
    4. Voice search requires supplied NSG-MR7U Remote Control or an optional Bluetooth headset or to function.
    5. Application must be downloaded from the iTunes® app store or Google Play™. Check Google Play from your device for compatibility. Requires devices connected to the same wireless home network.
    6. Fees may apply.
    7. Not all space is available for consumer storage.
    8. BRAVIA® Smart Stick requires connection to 2013 model Sony TV (X, W, S, or R-series compatible

http://store.sony.com/bravia-smart-...0000XnZUK-RS?_t=pfm=search&SearchTerm=NSZ-GU1

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. galfert

galfert Active Member

My GS8 box says, "Features and specifications are subject to change without notice."

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

7. jonw747

Yeah, I don't bother looking for it ... but it's just boiler plate for anyone who makes anything these days.

Also, legally speaking, even without this clause, the "damages" are generally limited to the cost of the product.

I guess it's a sign of the passion that people invest in their toys, but about the best you can do when a new update rolls around is to not accept it until you've had a chance to make sure you'll like it. Do we even have that option without disconnecting from the internet or somehow blocking updates with a firewall? I'm not sure.

Speaking of terrible upgrade policies, this thread reminded me to file a complaint about IOS7 on my IPad.

8. Travel

Travel Active Member

LOl, why would Sony be viewing an update as something to be avoided? The Jelly Bean update is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Would car manufacturers avoid updating various models of cars to automatic transmissions because they're afraid that some customers really like a stick shift?

As far as my understanding of the reports from the Jelly-Bean-upgraded-posters is that: they didn't lose any apps, the whole system is faster and smoother and apps that weren't available, previously, are now side-loadable. Plus, now there's NDK, the latest API. level on the browser, and an OS running on Android with a desktop version option (a screen orientation feature; in case the apps developer didn't "write it in"-landscape); all of which opens-up apps development, enormously.

That's good news, right?

As far as when the Sony boxes will be updated: if you've had the Revue, with regard to updates, you probably remember it was always a question of, "wait 'till the Sony boxes get it, and then hope the Revue gets it in under six months later."

The REL 11 update was only last month, so we know Sony is still out there, somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  9. jonw747

That's all good news to me, but Sony would be smart to sit on the update until they can resolve as many issues as possible. Unfortunately, Sony isn't quite yet the only player in the GTV market and the product will continue to get judged by the worst implementations, not the best - by what doesn't work, rather than by what does.

Ultimately, if Sony introduces this update, it's got to be because they think it will help them sell more devices and because they feel GTV has a future. If instead, it looks like it won't generate any new sales, and existing customers are going to be complaining about bugs or lost capabilities, then it's just going to cost them money. As a company, they can't recommend side-loading as a solution.

I can't say I liked it, but many of the "Apps" I used weren't actually Apps, but links to web pages.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

In case you guys aren't aware, Sony is on the verge of going bankrupt so I would guess updating a gtv unit is not high on their priority list right now.

11. jonw747

They've been saying that for years. It's hard to take down a big corporation, but it sure wouldn't surprise me to see them focus more on core products and profitability. Pioneer made a great HDTV that's still held up as a standard for other TVs, but they dropped that end of their business because they didn't see a future trying to compete against products priced a fraction of what they were selling their TVs for. Sony stayed in the market and reportedly lost money on TV sales for something like 8 straight years.

I'm positive GTV isn't high on their priority list, but they do seem to be keeping it on life support.

12. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I think it's up to Google. They do all the work and send the needed changes to the various companies. After all it is just software.

13. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Sony has sure had a long string of losses but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe the company is on the verge of bankruptcy. Of course the losses can not continue for many more years but the company still has substantial assets and some profitable businesses.

14. jonw747

Each piece of GTV hardware is customized, just like with an Android phone. If this was "Nexus TV" we'd all be updated already because then Google would have total control over the s/w, but when an OEM is involved ... they have to re-implement any customizations, port any custom device drivers, and make sure it works on their hardware. LG clearly got a head-start on the rest, but we can only speculate why that was, but my guess is that they've been working closer with Google. Perhaps LG TV customers were used for beta testing?

15. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Yep, not aware. I don't believe it.

Philip

16. Travel

Travel Active Member

No, the update is a vast improvement. It's doubtful that they (Sony) care, nor should they care about a few complaints here and there. Every update brings-on complaints. Plus, the consensus of the LG TV users seems to be that they're happy with the update. And it's a red herring to characterize by stating: "As a company, they can't recommend side-loading as a solution." You might have a point if apps that were formerly available before the update, now have to be side loaded under Jelly Bean to get them back, but that's just not the case. In fact, with the Jelly Bean update, it's now quite easy to provide a multitude of apps that would never be available with Honeycomb 3.2.

It seems kinda silly to trash the entire update because of isolated issues that, now, with the update, can be easily resolved with new apps, etc.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  17. jonw747

It's disingenuous to use the term "apps" to refer strictly to Android Apps and ignore the "apps" we had available to us by creating web shortcuts from the Spotlight app or anywhere off the web.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CatfishRivers

IMO Google has not been a good partner with the Google TV endeavor. Google does virtually nothing to promote GTV. The Official Google TV Blog was last updated on June 4th - and it's only been updated twice in the past 10 months. No money is ever spent by Google for advertising GTV - while Roku just announced a new 12 million dollar advertising iniative to spur sales during the important holiday shopping season.

In the following recent post from the Google+ Google TV Community - the moderator of that Forum expresses his displeasure with Google for having stopped updating the GTV Facebook page, the GTV Google+ page, and the GTV Twitter page - along with abandoning the GTV YouTube channel nine months ago, and apparently all other social venues involved with GTV. (If I was Sony I would be tempted to think "why bother with the update").

** Thomas Ally MODERATOR Nov 12, 2013 +7

I hate to say it but +Jim Avila is right - I have mentioned more then once in other posts that Google really made a bad choice after Kevin left of no longer listening to Google TV owners and no longer updating any of the Social channels that Kevin worked so hard in setting up for them.

In example the Google TV youtube channel was last updated 9 months ago and they no longer update their twitter channel or facebook page or even their google plus page since kevin left.

The only place still hopping is here that kevin created. If and when they start using the Android TV name or some other name for future Google TVs they better start assigning someone to monitor the social media stuff they make for that new branding as if they don't they will have the same problem they did with the Google Tv brand.

If people think they are being ignored they wont come back to buy your product again and they will move on to something else. **

https://plus.google.com/104897904404505958212/posts/RzBi7bkhhRC

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  19. jonw747

The people who really like something are generally the last to realize when it's on life support. Human nature.

But who knows, maybe there'll be another shake-up at Google and they'll decide to make another U-Turn on their corporate direction.

20. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

It's hard to know in which direction Google is going. It's all too Schizo for me. Google TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Chromebooks, Android this, Android that. This box will get the update, this one won't. Get on one page w/one OS in one direction.

Gimme a break...