Quantcast

Sony v. Vizio CoStar for SlingPlayer

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by frankthetank966, Jul 1, 2013.

1. frankthetank966

frankthetank966 New Member

I've been following this forum for a few weeks and decided to sign up. I'm looking to stream Slingplayer onto a TV. Based on posts on this forum, I've narrowed down my search to two connected devices:
    • Sony with Google TV
    • Vizio Co-Star
    Now that the Sony is on sale for $149.99 at Best Buy is the Sony worth it? Which player do y'all recommend for streaming Sling Player?

2. frankthetank966

Would appreciate a response. Thank you.

3. callanish

callanish Member

I can't speak for the Vizio, i can only speak for the Sony. Needless to say the Sony does a good job for streaming sling content with a few caveats. The older boxes ( solo pro-hd ) seem to be less buggy over the newer 350 and 500 models. There seems to be an access issue with all connected devices and using them with the
    newer boxes. There was a firmware update released for the 500 model that was supposed to fix this, but 350 owners are still waiting. Rebooting the slingbox is a temporary fix, but owners watching their slingbox remotely don't have that luxury unless they have their slingbox hooked up to a timer to reboot the box daily.

Fortunately, I'm running a Solo remotely with the Sony GS7 and I don't need it for my 350 model which is used locally. As far as functionality goes, overall it does a pretty good job. There's a remote delay buffering lag that makes chores like fast forwarding frustrating as the buffer starts to fill up and the delay between pressing the remote function and the cable box / sat box responding takes longer.

I noticed Sony released a firmware update recently which updated the sling app version, and from preliminary testing, it seems the buffer build up isn't as bad anymore in comparison to my wdtv live sling app which is still running the older version of the software. Hopefully with this upgrade from Sony, it is a step in the right direction towards fixing the issue.

As for the sling interface on the Sony and all connected devices in general, let's say it's just passable. It's no slingcatcher. The interface is a bit clunky, but the Sony has the advantage over the wdtv live of using the touchpad to click the on screen functions, unlike the wdtv live where you have to use the remote to arrow your way through a lot of the functions which takes more time.

For me, the stream is pretty consistent. My biggest gripe is that you can't run the Snatt protocol on any of the connected devices. It's either TCP or Relay. This presents a problem when streaming remotely at farther distances as TCP has a latency issue the farther your slingbox is away from the device you're watching it on, thus slower stream speeds and relay is the most unstable of the protocols making the stream speeds more erratic, and if you're watching at longer distances with a connected device, the stream speeds can be all over the map with relay.

Would i suggest the Sony as a good tool to run the slingbox. I'd say yes, but it's hardly without bugs and if you know you are going to use the remote functions a lot ( FF for DVR content ) the remote lag can be tricky to work with. Live stuff is a little easier as its mostly channel changing.

So, since I only own the Sony, not the Vizio, I can speak for that. The slingplayer works fine with it...just keep your expectations low for the user interface experience and know that if you are seeing a certain streaming speed through your P.C or MAC, you might not get this on the Sony or Vizio if you are streaming from a longer distance due to how these connected devices handle Flash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. frankthetank966

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting to get at least close to HD with either app. Do you think this is possible?

5. callanish

callanish Member

As with all slingbox streaming, its all about location to location, the quality and speed of your internet service provider, how that stream gets to you through the network and whether that's receiving the stream on a P.C, MAC or through a connected device like the GS7.

In my case, I've had to accept the speed and latency limitation of being 5000 miles away from my slingbox when sending a stream from a solo in the U.K to the west coast U.S using a 5mb upload connection and receiving the stream on a 60mb connection. Those speeds on the P.C give me about a 2.1 mb slingbox stream through snatt, a 1.3 mb stream through tcp and a disappointing average of 800 kbps - 1mb's using relay with both the wdtv live and the sony gs7. With a faster upload speed of 12 mb's being sent from my U.S slingbox 350 to a u.k 100 mb download connection, I was seeing 2.7mb's with snatt and 2mb's with tcp. I don't have a connected device in the U.K to give you a number on that, but needless to say, for me getting anything resembling a 3 mb stream to try to get an HD type picture on the gs7 and wdtv live has been downright impossible and to be realistic, a remote HD stream from a slingbox, even with all the bandwidth in the world to work with, won't live up to the same hd quality you get from your cable or sat box.

In my opinion, with these connected devices, there hasn't been enough quality time spent by sling to try to get them optimized on how they work with a sling stream, thus the 'relay' protocol fall back position that they use.....which as you can tell from my numbers takes an overall hit on the gs7 and wdtv live stream speed.

Your circumstances might be entirely different from me in that you're much closer to your slingbox and could end up approaching slingbox HD speeds, but everything and I mean everything would have to be optimal to get that out of the GS7 or Vizio co-star, so if getting an HD picture is priority one with the google tv hardware, you might be disappointed, but if you are willing to lower your expectations, and based on your own situation, believe you've got a setup that could allow higher speeds than what I'm getting, you might overlook the various limitations that you get with these connected devices for the convenience of having a direct connection to your slingbox through the gs7 or co-star.

Hopefully sling will continue to refine how they use these connected devices. If the future Jellybean O.S upgrade does away with Flash, Sling will need to change how the Googletv boxes connect to the slingbox and maybe then, we could get a snatt stream out of them giving us the best possible stream speed out of what we have to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The biggest problem is that you have to access the sling player via a web page in the browser, rather than with a dedicated GTV App. It could be quite the home run for everyone who misses the old Slingcatcher, but comes up short. I haven't played with it much as my Sony is right next to my Slingbox, but I've considered taking the Sony on the road when going on vacation. It's kind of sad that the Chrome browser has become a bit of a crutch. Hopefully JellyBean will address that.