Quantcast

Sony to Recall 1.6M LCD HDTVs?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rickaren, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Sony to Recall 1.6M LCD HDTVs?

[​IMG]

Washington, D.C. (October 12, 2011) -- Sony said this morning that it's recalling 1.6 million Bravia LCD HDTVs worldwide because of reports that the sets sometime overheat and start emitting smoke, reports Reuters. (See update below.)

The CE giant said it has received 11 reports of the problem in Japan, but acknowledges that it could affect sets in other countries, including the United States. Thus far, there have been no known cases of injuries caused by the problem.

[​IMG]
    The Washington Post writes that the recalled models are the Bravia KDL-40X5000, KDL-40X5050, KDL-40W5000, KDL-40V5000 and KDL-40V3000. Sony said these models were manufactured in 2007 and 2008 and sold primarily in Europe and the U.S.

The company said it will issue a recall advisory on its web site and one by e-mail to customers who have registered accounts.

Sony said the problem part is an inverter transformer which is used for LCD backlights.

Update: Sony is disputing the earlier reports saying the sets would be recalled. The company is now saying owners should bring the sets to a Sony service center for a free inspection. The difference? A recall might involve a wholesale replacement of sets -- whether they are damaged or not -- while an advisory suggesting people should bring them in for inspection would only require replacements for sets found to be damaged.

SOURCE

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

That's sorta like a car having to have a recall...
    Maybe some of the models in question may cuz problems, but, maybe not all of them,
    so go back to your dealer for them to tell you..

3. Rickaren

The problem here is how will the owners of defective sets find out or be notified of a possible problem? Short Answer: They won't, saving Sony millions I suspect! Recalls require a professional inspection, that will cost them.

Sony should not expect repeat customers if they don't notify all registered owners. Shame on their retreat on doing the right thing.

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I totally agree Rick
    I was just using that as a comparison..

No doubt, some Sony users will be p.o.'d after this, unless there are going to
    do it in a way we don't fully understand yet.

As far a owners having to pay for a recall??
    I don't think that will fly very well
    I wasn't aware owners had to pay, they should send bill to sony instead..

As far how to tell everybody who owns one.
    Don't quite sure how they can possibly do it fairly and inform all owners though

5. George

George New Member

Read the official sony statement on their support web site... This is not a recall. I would post it but I haen't posted enough on here anydway esupport dot sony dot com and type on of the model numbers below

It has come to our attention through reports in Japan that in rare cases a particular component incorporated in certain models of 40" BRAVIA LCD HDTV [Model Nos. KDL-40V3000, KDL-40VL130, KDL-40W3000, KDL-40WL135, KDL-40XBR4, and KDL-40XBR5] was damaged and as a result, may overheat and at times ignite inside of the television. This could possibly result in a hole at a part of the cabinet ceiling. We have no reports of any resulting damages to other property or bodily injuries.

6. Rickaren

No it started as a RECALL, but management quickly realized this would have been very expensive for SONY to pay their service centers to inspect every set, and quickly canceled their recall. This was not done to protect their customers, but their bottom-line, stockholders and management bonuses, I suspect. Sony has been struggling in the last few years, anyway.

Surprisingly I had a similar issue with my latest Onkyo A/V receiver. The receiver lost control gradually of source control of the HDMI inputs. Since it was out-of-warranty and I bought it "On-Line" at a reduced price I did not contact Onkyo, but a local Onkyo repair center for an estimated of repair.

I had already decided NOT to purchase another Onkyo receiver if repairs were over $100.

The service center would not give me an estimate on this known issue (defect) until I contacted Onkyo and when I did they then authorized repairs to my unit!

Don't know if it was because I had bought three previous Onkyo A/V receivers, registered this purchase on their Company Website, or that I was referred to ask for out-of-warranty from one of their authorized service centers, but I was surprised that they did the right thing!

I now will recommend Onkyo A/V receivers, again.

Owners of any defective Sony TVs could be as lucky as I was with Onkyo, but I suspect that most (if out-of-warrant) will just purchase another new TV that may not be another Sony.

7. George

George New Member

I for one had a melted Sony kd-f50we610 yellow tinting, melted lamp door, melted case where the lamp goes. Sony provided me with a Free replacement 55 inch kdl-55ex500 lcd tv that not only had a bigger screen, but also a better picture than the old set did from day one.. Sony stands up for their stuff you dont believe me go to the face book page "I HAVE A DEFECTIVE SONY TV"

8. Rickaren

Was it in or out of factory warranty?

9. George

George New Member

It was almost 7 years old at the time, very very much out of factory warranty...