Quantcast

Sony Side View... a second screen app.. for sony GTV..

Discussion in 'Sony NSZ-GT1' started by Scuzzo, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

I have this running on my tablet. transformer rooted with JB..and its kinda an idea where the second screen is going... i think its only good for folks with cable and its really limited depending on the provider, i have comcast.. and they dont play well with anyone.... so i dont have the ability to do much besides look up info and that kinda stuff... no control over the cable box... yet..? here is an idea of second screen apps for tablets and how they could work with tv..... if the cable companies would allow it..

Sony SideView hands-on (video)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...DEwOSwiY29tLnNvbnkudHZzaWRldmlldy50YWJsZXQiXQ..

on a different note... i am able to have about the same experience using Plex for android and using the Play To: function and the tablet as a remote.. serving to Google Tv... this is really nice...
    and with the android tv box, i able to get the same experience using the xbmc remote and serving to the Android tv box.... so the second screen idea is really starting to come together...

• Like Like x 4
  2. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Primetime really needs to develop an Android version that would do this with the google TV, that would be excellent. I use plex and xbmc in very similar fashion, Have you tried the 13.00 Gotham Nightlies of Xbmc? Full fledged XBMC with "play to" similar to the Plex app. So far its pretty buggy for me but it is the direction XBMC is going in. When it works, it works nice, browse your library on your phone and send it to any DLNA renderer(as long as it supports the codecs).

3. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

im still on Hobbit or what ever that name is... Frodo... thats the name... i dont think that Gotham has filtered down yet... they need to adapt it to work with external players for the Andorid boxes... i am running plex pass for android.. and i am very impressed with the direction of that.... i will put money down that google will announce a tablet pairing app for google tv primetime at IO trouble is... i dont think its enough... i want them to open SDK to devs.. so we can get xbmc and full market access.. but xbmc runs like a champ on my android box... i hope we hear something about keylime and its requirements...

4. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Gotham is available as a nightly on all devices, I have it installed on my HTC vivid right now, works ok...a little buggy but I still revert back to one of the many XBMC remotes for control. Have you tried sideloading the PlexPass apk onto GTV? I hear it works but have been apprehensive on buying PlexPass just to try, and like big dummy I bought Plex for Android from amazon(so i could put on the kindle as well)and have yet to see the "update", I am sooo tired of all the Plex for GTV crashes its not even funny.

If NDK support was released at I/O I would be happier then Eddie Money running a travel agency :D

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

im not sure if Gotham supports external players.. which i need for my android box.. and my tablet.. other wise HD gets choppy... im sure it will filter down... i have not checked the external player build of xbmc for a bit... it may have updated to goth,, i went ahead and bought a month of pass so i could get plexpass
    for android i have it running on my Transformer Tablet my sony GTV, and my MINIX X5 android box.. i am very impressed with the intergration of the thing now its starting to really streamline and get more XBMC like.. less clunky the transcoder is developing well now.. and they have lots more comming forward by the time they reach 8.0.. i hope it hits a public release soon, but i did not want to wait... either way.. its just an example of how good the gtv could be... if the devs had a fair run at it.... its a shame... i wish to heck i could just root the revue and put a distro of linux on it and serve xbmc like that,,, and its possible.. but it will never happen.

6. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Instead of needing special hardware accessory to transmit/receive between tablet & tv, they should have also given option to use Wifi and/or bluetooth.