Quantcast

Sony seemed to have fixed the audio issues on the nsz-gt1

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by les anderson, Nov 13, 2011.

1. les anderson

les anderson New Member

One of the most pleasant surprises for me with the 2.0 update is the Sony seems to have tweaked the audio stack in the GTV box. When the Sony nsz-gt1 first came out it could not output dolby digital sound on 5.1dd feeds coming in through the hdmi input. So if you were watching a movie with 5.1 sound on HBO through your cable box with the nsz-gt1 in the chain you would get 2.0 sound and not the full 5.1 This was a big deal to me when it first came out. Logitech decided on the opposite which was to nail up a 5.1 connection regardless of what the input was sending in. So you get 5.1 in the hbo movies example, but if you are watching netflix (almost always 2ch) then you are getting sound out of your left and right speakers only. Center are rears are lifeless.

Sony ended up coming out with a "beta" patch to address this which for the most part worked- but in my specific case caused my Marantz processor to occasionbally drop digital sound especially when playing back recorded content on the DVR. I would have to pause for a second and then hit play again to get sound back. This was an inconvenience I learned to live with.

With 2.0 I was able to go into the settings, turn off the "beta" pass-through setting but am still getting 5.1 sound on dolby digital sources and 2ch sound (which can be matrixed for 5.1 with prologic 2 or DTS NEO) on SD channels and netflix and no audio drop outs.

If you had the beta pass-through enabled in 1.0- this setting will have been preserved in the 2.0 upgrade. I recommend trying to turn it off to see how you do. It is working perfectly for me.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I can't seem to find the path for this, would you mind posting where it is in the settings?

3. les anderson

les anderson New Member

I will have to post tonight when I get home but it is not buried. It may be under bluray disk settings or audio settings.

4. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Settings->Picture and Sound-> (scroll down to sound options)-> Dolby Digital Passthrough-> Disable

It is confusing because you would think that you would need to enable it for Dolby Digital, which used to be the case in 1.0. However, either Sony or Google or Honeycomb itself made a change to pass 5.1 DD sound on the HDMI in, and also switch to 2ch (which engages DTS NEO6 on my processor) with this setting disabled. This is exactly how it should work.

Hopefully the same is true with the Revue because Logitech's solution to this issue is really terrible when you play content that is not dolby digital over the HDMI input.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I was afraid of that. I believe that this option is the result of Sony Google TV Blu-Ray player having extra compatibility due to the necessity of playing DVD/Blu-Ray media.

On my Sony Internet TV (NSX-24GT1); GTV Settings > Picture & sound these are the only Sound options I have:

• Sound adjustments (Adjust the sound settings such as Treble, Bass, and Balance)
    • MTS audio (available for analog TV channels)
    • Alternate audio (available for analog TV channels)
    • Speakers (Select TV or external speakers)
    • Sound effects (Disable sound effects)
    • Notification sounds
    • Text-to-speech
    So, for me at least there is no "Dolby Digital Passthrough" option.

6. gerryger

gerryger New Member

I do not think this is accurate info ...at least not for me. I tried the recommendation above and that caused me to lose all 5.1 output. I immediately turned the DD pass-thru back ON and my 5.1 output is back.

7. les anderson

les anderson New Member

Do you go hdmi or optical out on your gtv to avr? I am going optical. Here are my settings;Audio hdmi autoBd audio mix setting onDolby digital optical onDolby digital passthrough offDownmix surround This is absolutely working for me and giving me full 5.1 sound as my processor has a display for what speakers are active. Passthrough on- also works but kills the trackid app.

8. maximln

maximln New Member

This has been really bugging me! Thank you for finally giving me an answer!!! I bought the Revue last week on a recomendation from a friend & at first it seemed really cool but then I noticed the audio issue. I had my Directv box plugged into my Revue which was plugged into my receiver. The Revue was telling my receiver (Denon 4311) that it was receiving 7.1 channels of sound from every tv source which I knew was inaccurate. The video resolution was also set to "AUTO" which the Revue chose to send out a constant 720p signal. I changed the resolution to 1080p but then the picture looked "processed" and I knew none of the tv sources I was viewing were in 1080p (you can only watch 1080p movies on Directv by purchasing them). I tried to find a setting that would just send a "pass through" signal so it wouldn't process the audio or video but I could not find one. I spent about an hour on the phone with tech support. At first, she told me the Revue was designed to just "pass through" the signal & not do any processing which I quickly informed her that she was incorrect & then she had me try to use an optical cable instead of HDMI (what would be the point then?) & try plugging the Revue directly into my TV to see if I would still get the constant 1080p signal regardless of programming which I did & the optical route sent a constant 5.1 signal to the receiver. I really liked the functionality of the Revue so my plan was to just remove it from my Directv hookup & just use a different HDMI input that I didn't care about the picture or sound.

Then I read the wonderful news where Logitech was dropping the Revue. Fearing no new update or any future support, I purchased the Sony Blu ray Google TV when I read that the new update already came out for that. As soon as I began setup, it informed me of the new update. I did find the setting where it allowed me to pass through the DD signal & now the audio appears to be fine but the Sony unit does the same thing as far as video processing. On its "AUTO" setting for resolution, it sets the resolution at 1080p but the picture again looks processed. I manually switched it to 720p & the picture looks better. Why can't they just allow the signal to "pass through" & not do any sort of processing?? Also, when I turn my reciever & tv off when I leave my house or overnight, & then turn them back on, I find that I either do not have any audio or I have no picture & no audio. I would have to unplug the Sony unit to reset it & then everything would be ok...until I turned everything off again. I think I read on here that problem might have something to do with the HDMI "handshake" of the different components & when there is no signal present (when I turn off my receiver), that's when I lose audio and/or picture. I've been also turning off my Sony unit when I turn everything else off & so far that has worked. It is just a pain to have to also turn that unit on & off. Does anyone know if the Sony unit can respond to IR signals so I could program a macro into my remote?

I'm torn between the 2 devices. I already have a blu ray player (and a PS3) so I really don't need a 3rd hooked into my system but again, I do like the functionality of the Google TV but I cannot decide if I like the full keyboard of the Revue or the smaller hand held control of the Sony. I know you can apparently purchase the Revue keyboard for use with the Sony device but they are apparently hard to get. Do you think when the Revue finally gets the new update (I guess that's a big IF) that the Revue will also get the audio update where it will properly play DD signals like the Sony device? I also read that Google TV will continue to send out updates for the Revue but who knows how long that will last.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Max

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Revue Keyboard accessory costs just as much as a Revue. Just keep the Revue, buy a Unify Receiver for $10 as a replacement part. Then use your computer to pair the Revue Keyboard with the Unify Receiver. Once you're done plug the receiver into the Sony Google TV Blu-Ray.

10. maximln

maximln New Member

Hmm...I like the way you think! I was already just considering keeping it & possibly putting it into my bedroom. Where would I get this unifying receiver? It works with any keyboard? Is it hard to pair with your computer?

Thanks,

Max

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I guess you missed the link my previous post. It's okay, you can read this post and it has the same information plus instructions: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ech-revue-keyboard-sony-google-tv-device.html

12. gerryger

gerryger New Member

Lets see if we are comparing apples to apples. By the way my connection from the GTV to the AVR is HDMI

My audio settings are:

Audio Output Priority: HDMI
    BD Audio MIx Setting: Off
    Note: the above is set to off because if it is set to ON I lose the ability to output DTS HD-MA audio when playing a bluray (Avatar for example)
    Dolby Digital (Optical): On (Doesn't really matter since I have no optical connections)
    Dolby Digital Pass-thru: On
    DTS (Optical): On (Again, N/A)

I think we have different setups, hence the different results.

Question for you? If you are using HDMI to carry your video from GTV, why the need for the optical. Unless, you don't have the HDMI going to your AVR...you must have it going directly to the TV and your optical is going to the AVR. Or, you may have an older receiver that will only output the video from the HDMI source which then will require a separate connection to handle the audio (Optical). I ran into that problem a few years back. Got rid of that receiver fast.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  13. gerryger

gerryger New Member

Not necessarily true. The update patch for version 1.0 and the new 2.0 version allows the outputting of DD 5.1 from TV sources. The ability to output 5.1 from a DVD/Blu-Ray was always available prior to the version 1 patch. I'm pretty sure about that.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, whatever the case. It is not an available option on the NSX-24GT1, as I have listed all the available options in the post you had quoted.

15. nigilzilla

nigilzilla New Member

I apologize if this has been covered already. I can't get Dolby Digital (5.1) over HDMI. I can only get it over Optical output. Am I missing something here? I thought the update was going to fix these issues.

16. les anderson

les anderson New Member

The only reason I go optical is that my avr is 20 ft away from my gtv/tv and I just havent spent the $ and gone through the hassle of two 25 foot hdmi cables. I guess I can add this reason to the list as well. The high def surround formats are cool but subtle in my opinion so i haven't had huge motivation to swap to hdmi.

17. maximln

maximln New Member

Oh thank you so much again for your reply. It was my error. When I clicked the link, it showed a picture of a mouse & a keyboard. I assumed it was just an advertisement (some forums will do that). I didn't see the receiver below that w/o a picture. I just ordered it!

Thanks again,

Max

18. maximln

maximln New Member

Wow eferz! I just read your pairing process! Thank you so much for the detailed instructions! Just a couple of quick questions. Does the Logitech Revue keyboard have an on/off switch underneath it? (I'm away from home). Also, once I get the Logitech keyboard paired with the receiver & plug it into the USB port, can I use both the newly paired Logitech keyboard AND the factory Sony hand-held remote at the same time? I don't really mean at the same time, I mean can I pick up the Sony control & use it & then pick up the Logitech keyboard & use it depending on which one I feel like using or do I have to un-pair the Sony control to use the Logitech keyboard?

Thanks again,

Max

• Like Like x 2
  19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes but the on/off switch is not underneath. It is on the "front" edge of the keyboard since its shaped as a wedge.

Yes, you may use either the Sony MSG-MR1 Remote Commander and the Logitech K700 Keyboard asynchronously. In fact, you may want to give your significant other the exclusive use of the Revue's keyboard. That way when a remote control war breaks out for what's on the television then you can rip out the Unify USB receiver out of the television and be victorious! Of course, you may lose out later on the nightly spoils.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

20. maximln

maximln New Member

LMAO!! But what do you mean "remote control war"?? I ALWAYS have control of the remote control!! (ummm...just please don't tell her that...! ha ha) I guess I'm keeping the Revue. I will put it in my bedroom. If I don't have both the Revue & the Sony turned on at the same time, can I leave the Revue's keyboard paired with it as well as the Sony?

Thanks,

Max