Quantcast

Sony Remote Backlight Work in Progress

Discussion in 'Hacking SONY GTV' started by Tartarus, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Tartarus

Tartarus New Member

Hello, i am fairly new to this forum but im not new to forums in general, but if i posted this in the wrong place someone can move it.

So basically you know that nifty little hole (presumably for a lanyard) in the bottom of the sony GTV remote? it gave me an idea, i plan to hijack the 2 AA's powering the remote to power 2 white LED lights that will light up the remote and provide easy typing in the dark.

But how will you turn them on and off?
    i plan to enlarge the hole a little bit in order to fit a small button to turn the lights on and off. and i plan to run the wires right up over the back panel and cover it with tape (if anyone has a better idea please speak up)
    i am still working on the best layout for the LEDs so they dont snap off, and if i can get a second remote i will brave taking it all the way apart and embed the LEDs into the remote so no leads protrude, imagine the LEDs coming out of the incline by the fast forward and yellow buttons.

i will hopefully have some diagrams up soon but i have a lot of school stuff to do in the next week, then i have 2 weeks of no classes so i will have plenty of time to do it.

another project i plan to start is making a charging dock for the remote, putting metal contact plates on both of the battery slots, therefore eliminating the need to change the batteries!

2. skydancerusa

skydancerusa New Member

Good luck, a new remote costs about $90, if you miss :). Do you have a smart phone? Just download the google tv remote app from android market and it makes your android phone into a sony google tv remote and it lights up and is much more fun to use than the original remote. Does everything to your hearts desire. PS For the price of a new remote, if your drill misses, you can probably get a used smart phone that lights up and works with the android remote app :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012