Quantcast

Sony or Logitech Remote?

Discussion in 'Google TV Hardware Discussion' started by Karen, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Karen

Karen New Member

I just read a post from outbackpaul regarding Hulu on GTV. The link he provides shows photos of the Sony remote.

Could any of you give me some thoughts on the difference between the Sony and the Logitech remotes? They obviously LOOK different. Which one is easier to use/handle?

This may ultimately be the deciding factor between purchasing the Logitech Revue OR purchasing the Sony Blu-ray with GTV.

Thanks!

2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Thoughts, but not my own, since I haven't handled either of them: Folks at TWiT/TWiG complained that the Sony was a poor functioning/ergonomic solution..like they tried to throw all the various gizmos onto an unplanned user interface, suggesting it would lead to disuse, and favoring several 'normal' remotes to get the job done. (paraphrasing). HTH. :)

3. Karen

Karen New Member

Thanks, alphawave7. Yeah, that helps. It does look rather clunky - but looks aren't everything. It might have a good personality.

4. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Well the Logitech is more of a keyboard than a remote. I'm having a hard time picturing a keyboard in my living room. To big and you need to have it on a table or your knees to type. The Sony on the other hand has everything on a smaller package. If I just want to change internet radio channel or pandora for music I can just pick it up while I walk by, no need to sit down. From what I read it has a steeper learning curve but once your used to it its great.

I won't even consider the smaller logitech keyboard. That is the old diNovo remote they had for years and the reviews on it has never been good.

5. Karen

Karen New Member

PhatboyC,

Just goes to show you that you need a point of reference when looking at a photo. Found another shot of the Sony remote with someone holding it in their hands. It is about three times smaller than I originally thought. Now the Logitech remote seems so much bigger. Good points about having to sit down to use the Logitech, and the learning curve on the Sony. I type much more than I text, so 'thumbing' out a complete sentence would be a real challenge for me, but neither do I like the idea of a full sized keyboard as a remote.

Appreciate your input.

6. Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID New Member

Got the Sony Remote last night. It is VERY mobile yet very easy to navigate with.

7. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Read some complaint on the thumb mouse on the right. Is it fluid?

8. majortom1981

majortom1981 New Member

The thumb mouse on the right hand part of the sony remote is ok. It can go wonky if dirt gets on the sensor. The whole thing is like typing on a cellphone keyboard. At first its a pain to use but as you get used to it it gets better. i can't imagine sitting with a keyboard on my lap now.

9. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

One big mistake is the lack of lighted buttons on the Sony. In fact I think the Logitech isn't lighted either.

10. Brian

Brian New Member

I know the mouse controller on the Sony isn't the best, but its a lot better then the Logitech one. I couldn't even get the Logitech move across the screen with jumping all over the place. And parts of the pad just didn't work, and no clicking on the pad. It's a $129 keyboard I should be able to click the pad.

11. Hefe

Hefe New Member

I liked the Sony remote better than the Logitech keyboard, but as an owner of a Harmony One remote and an Android phone, I'll probably go Logitech and use those as my remotes.

12. Karen

Karen New Member

I have a Harmony as well, and will probably use that most of the time. If I even get the Revue, I like the idea of a (nearly) full sized keyboard for typing tasks.

13. Chabu

Chabu New Member

I thought I would hate the full kb as a remote but I've grown to love it. I loaded the iPhone app yesterday, tried it for a few minutes then went right back to keyboard. It's really thin and light and has won over this skeptic.

14. Jb80

Jb80 New Member

I like my logitech keyboard . I have threatened to take it back to best buy twice but never over keyboard. The more I surf the Internet the more I love google tv. Being able to watch stuff on my schedule is wonderful.