Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GU1

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by revue5, Aug 29, 2013.

1. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

looks like a new (low cost/ low power) "Internet Player Stick" Google TV dongle .... (it's probably a cast device, as well)

Specs:

• Power supply: via micro USB port or MHL (HDMI) out port.
    • Processor : Marvell (DE3108-A1)
    • Memory: 1GB RAM / 8GB Flash
    • Video out: 720p/60
    • Video in: 480p, 720p/60
    • Audio out: PCM, DD & DD+
    • Audio in: PCM & DD
    • Wireless LAN: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n (2.4 GHz)
    • MHL (HDMI) out port
    • HDMI-in port
    • IR Blaster out port
    • Bluetooth: ver 3.0
    • Ethernet port: none
    • USB 2.0 port: none

• Remote control: NSG-MR9U (included)
    • Micro HDMI cable (included)
    • Micro USB cable (included)
    • External IR blaster (included)

:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 12
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Is this correct, no 1080p?

4. drhill

drhill Member

Dear lord that is horrible in every respect but size, and it isn't even that small.

No ethernet and no 1080p. Wifi isn't even 5ghz N or AC. If it had a real power supply cable you could possibly do ethernet over USB. I'm guessing the new remote will be simpler.

Edit: Oops, two usb ports. So you could still do ethernet over usb, but if it isn't 1080p....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  5. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

It doesn't have drivers for ethernet over usb, how would it ever get an IP address?

6. drhill

drhill Member

Well if it doesn't have drivers then it wouldn't. ;)

Never needed to use IP over USB on android so I wasn't sure.

7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Looks that way.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  8. Travel

Travel Active Member

Always interesting to see a new device but, ya, no ethernet or digital optical audio port. And no 1080p doesn't exactly put the device in the "improvement" category.

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Price…. $59, $79, $99 .... what’s you guess?

10. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Not that I would even consider buying this junk but if they want to sell any they might want to consider the Chromecast price.
    No more then $35. I understand the two devices are different but this thing is a low, low, low class device by any standards.

What the hell were they thinking with that male HDMI on there like that??!!??
    I still think these images are from a prototype or something. Can't understand what they were thinking.

11. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Could you really tell the difference between 720/60,1080i/24,or 1080p/24?And we all thought it was going to be the third generation of GTV ! This should up the GS8 sales!LOL!:confused:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  12. Travel

Travel Active Member

Within Google's announcements of the Jelly Bean update and then Chromecast, they made the point to the effect that there'll be more devices and more partners, and it's onward and upward for GoogleTV as well as other devices. Given that, any new devices that come out aren't necessarily intended as "new generation" by any means. There may be a flood of new HDMI devices from all the GoogleTV manufacturers and maybe gaming devices, too, who knows. But as far as GoogleTV, with the Jelly Bean and Chrome updates running on the GS7, it doesn't s seem likely that a legitimate, new 3rd-generation-hardware box will appear in the near future. Which is fine with me, I just bought the GS7 exactly two months ago. :)

13. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

You will really enjoy the Sony GS7.Had mine for about eleven months and have no complaints with the unit.Gonna be interesting to see the direction GTV improves towards and like everyone else just itching for the new upgrade to roll out.Guess they want enough developers to get their apps compatible with the big screen experience.Just think after all those years of work arounds we had to go through to get webtv/msntv to even partially work right now we can have our cake and eat it too!

14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The NSZ-GU1 does not appear to be an upgrade to the NSZ-GS7/GS8, in fact, it appears to be a basic entry level model and I will assume the GS8 will continue as the best Sony Google TV model and a current product for some time. After using Google TV for over two years, I am convinced 1GB RAM is the biggest problem for the way I use Google TV and 2GB RAM would be a significant upgrade in terms of ease of operation but nobody seems to be interested in offering devices with 2GB RAM. It may be once updated to Jellybean, the devices will operate more efficiently and cluttered RAM will no longer be an issue, I don't really know.

I can't imagine the pictures shown of the GU1 are actually of a retail product Sony is going to be offering, I expect something a little better looking that that.

15. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but if that's the case, why did they submit it to the FCC? If they make any significant changes, I believe they'd have to re-file the device; and any tests the FCC would run are tests that Sony should be able to conduct. Would they do so just to get the device in the hands of beta testers, perhaps?

The cabling sounds like it could be clunky. I would think the primary use case would be to replace an HDMI cable coming to the TV with this device, you'd want to be able to plug the old cable in to the device, and the device in to the TV and be able to trust that nothing is going to fall out or snap under the weight. This of course isn't possible due to the Micro HDMI connector, so now there's another cable hanging off.

Heck, I suppose the reason they separated the primary HDMI connector could have been mechanical. There could be a lot of torque applied to the HDMI connector with potentially 3 cables coming out of it .vs. just the lightweight micro-USB required by the Chromecast.

It seems unlikely that Sony will be able to compete with the Chomecast on price if they're going to include the remote control and all that extra hardware UNLESS they take a Kindle Fire like approach and eat some of the costs in order to push purchasers to their Sony services. If they take that approach they might as well re-do the UI much like Amazon did with the Fire.

16. tfid

tfid New Member

My take on this is that the 2nd gen GTV boxes were not a success due to two main reasons:
    TV networks (and other video content providers) getting the jitters about allowing streaming content to anything but a computer (Windows OS?) along with no flash on mobile. This killed internet video content.

The old Honeycomb OS, but it's not even real 'Honeycomb' because it's a special GTV OS with chrome built in with no option to use a different browser.
    This killed applications programs content.

They're trying to use Chromecast features to get around the 1st item, but I still don't understand why I would want to use my computer (with real Chrome) to cast a video (possibly using flash) to a GTV device instead of just using a video cable from the computer to the TV?

The 2nd issue is supposedly being developed by Google as an OS upgrade to 'jellybean' (maybe KitKat?) I think this will NEVER happen on the 2nd gen GTVs.

I'm starting to change my mind about the OS upgrade, but not because of what any keynote speech or developer says. They change their minds (lie) a lot.
    I think they (device manufacturers) are planning a 'do-over' on 2nd gen GTV devices. The HW won't change much (unfortunately), but this time the points I made above will be addressed. I think this is true because of the 'reissuing' of 2nd gen GTV devices like the new listing on Amazon for the Asus Cube.

I also think that after the GTV 2nd gen improvements (all Google SW items) are evaluated as successful (and I hope that they are), the 3rd gen devices will come out very soon after to make the HW level match the SW level.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, Catfish has given reasons why he thinks that they'll be a new 3d generation hardware box within a year, and ChrisG just posted that he thinks that the current hardware may be sufficient after the Jelly Bean update. All good possibilities. My feeling on it is that, if Google is going to implement the updates on the 2nd generation boxes and not go with a 3rd generation hardware change, they probably know that it will work as expected, without any major problems. If it were some other company, I'd have doubts, but Google has more money and resources than they can count. It's never a "financing thing" with Google.

18. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Google TV is kind of like Microsoft's Surface and Windows RT plans. It hasn't worked and there's no reason to believe it will, though the OS upgrade for current users should keep us happy for a bit. Chromecast is nothing more than a toy. Not everyone wants to use a smart phone or tablet to initiate a stream. If that were true then there is already something in place to do that, namely Apple's AirPlay and even iDevice people such as myself prefer using a remote to picking up a phone or whatever to manage the TV.

Of course Google has no financing issue. They do have an issue with throwing out beta devices in order to see what might be popular. It is crazy that after so long Hulu is still not on Google TV. To me that says something about the future of GTV. The Roku MHL stick, Google's Chromecast, etc .... are just gimmicks while we wait for the content distribution issues to be sorted out.

How can one take Google seriously when it comes to TV? Every one of their predictions has been off. There's a limit to people being on a roller coaster. Seems to me that Roku, Apple and even Microsoft are at least putting out platforms that people can rely on. Doesn't solve the distribution issue which seems hopeless but at least it's not a perennial guessing game as to what content will appear on our purchases. Am very happy with my Sony GTV boxes and if they get updated then that's just a bonus. I bought them for what they did and not what they could do. It's pretty clear to me that the GTV platform is finished. Chromecast will serve as a conduit for those wanting to use smart devices to control their TV's. Anyone else should be looking elsewhere. Unfortunately, Sony has a habit of picking the wrong strategic partners.

Philip

• Like Like x 2
  19. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you said. Although I won't believe GTV is truly finished until I see the results of the Jellybean update. It does kind of look rather bleak at the moment - one of my big beefs is that YouTube through the GTV Chrome browser is broke. I suppose one can get by with the GTV YouTube app - although IMO it's an inferior experience to viewing the YouTube web site with a browser. Seeing as how GTV comes with a Chrome browser and they promise the full web - it's almost comical that Google's own YouTube web site is broke on GTV devices. A sad state of affairs....

20. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

being one who has a chromecast and a google tv.. i believe they dont really occupy the same entertainment space... pretty much all i hear lately is just a bunch of piss and moan about how "GTV is not getting an update" blah blah... but i see no evidence that the 2nd gen gtv is abandoned.. just a bunch of conjecture and opinion.. i have i think now 4 different streaming devices.. and all of them seem to have a niche.. i threw out my revue.. its garbage as far as i am concerned... logitech is a joke... so i will not even count that... but my gtv gt1 and gs7 work great.. with plex and web surffing and netflix and youtube... i hope the jellybean comes... and i have yet to loose hope on that.. but i found out long ago that the best android experience is any number of well made and well supported android hobby boxes.. like the minix x5... or what ever... again.. i speak from having these. my experience... im sure that chrome cast will evolve once sdk is out..... if it has not yet... thats because developers dont have the tools to use it.... looks to me that the new sony box is a bit under powered and the fact that is will not go past 720... well... no.. pass.. but.. there is just way too much speculation about gtv and its direction.... i have 2 of the sony boxes... and am very happy with them... all the network blocking crap withstanding.. its an amazing little device... as is the chromecast when paired to a nexus 7 or whatever.. im excited to where chrome cast goes... its worth the 35bucks for a ticket just to see where it goes...
    and the death toll bells for gtv seems to me a bit presumptive with very little evidence to push such a claim... just internet speculation... with no real weight..

• Like Like x 2