Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GT7 works with my Sat. Box but wont "Search" it...

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by nissunn, Nov 16, 2012.

1. nissunn

nissunn New Member

I can control my Canadian Bell Hd PVR (9241) throught HDMI connection (menu, guide, pvr, directions, number etc.) but when i use the search feature of Google TV it doesnt find stuff that is listed on the Sat Box. I already checked the area where you add or remove things that show in searches, and its not even an option.

I have had the Sony for about a week now, and have mixed feelings about it. It does AS MUCH as another box, but the extra features google tv offers over other streamers, while cool, are under developed in my opinion. Why is there so few icons on the home screen?, why does it not have a native network media player?, why does sony not have any android "add ons" for example, IR remote learning (to learn the buttons from the orig. Sat. remote), there is no Bravia sync options, there is no PSN network features.

I like google and I like sony so this seems like a no brainer, the HDMI pass through seems like most DUH breakthrough for add on boxes, I actually wish they still made a bluray version.

anyway, my problem is in the first paragragh. the search also doesnt find stuff in netflix, but that doesnt surprise me.

thanks for your help

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

"I can control my Canadian Bell Hd PVR (9241) throught HDMI connection (menu, guide, pvr, directions, number etc.) but when i use the search feature of Google TV it doesnt find stuff that is listed on the Sat Box. I already checked the area where you add or remove things that show in searches, and its not even an option."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. What you are mentioning is called deep integration with the PVR/satellite box. This requires special permission/integration with the TV service provider. Thus far Dish Network is the only company to offer deep integration with GTV. Please view the following thread (see link below) for a further explanation:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-general-discussion/6482-using-dvr-google-tv.html

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  3. nissunn

nissunn New Member

Ok, but here is the interesting part, my Bell hd PVR is the same hardware as the the dishnetwork hardware. Knowing this, I told the GT7 I have a dishnet box and i can fully control it that way. I dont Have my satellite box on my network, but I can plug it in as it has some network features. is there anyway I can find the setup info for dishnet integration ( the metioned connecting the two devices directly with ethernet) and give it a shot just for fun?

thanks

4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Did you have to put some sort of zip code in as that is how my google tv knows where I am to pull up the dish tv settings for me. I assume the Google tv you bought was a canadian version of the google tv or else you may have problems getting it to work right as it would probably try to read the U.S.A. tv listings.

5. nissunn

nissunn New Member

no I didnt have to put any zip code in, but thats a good point. I'm going to get an ethernet switch and hook up my sat box and see what happens, if the dishnet ones use ethernet to communicate with the google tv boxes. I just assumed that they used the hdmi to send all that info. Ill post my results when I get to it.