Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GT2 & Netflix App

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by revue5, Nov 4, 2011.

1. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Anyone (w/GTV 2.0) was able to find out if Netflix App supports HD contents in 1080p/24fps & 5.1 Dolby Digital plus? …… (1080p native not 720p up-convert to 1080p)

Cheers!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Didn't I already answer your question in my screenshot thread?

Answers are yes then no respectively.

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Thanks, for your comments,

Actually, Your reply was inconclusive for both Netflix support of Native 1080p and Netflix support of 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus.

For the following reasons;

• You were testing on Sony Internet TV, your Sony Internet TV has NO HDMI output to support Dolby Digital Plus. (that if Netflix App were to support DD+)&(DD+ is Not supported over Digital Optical cable).
    • Your Sony Internet TV has NO Global-Audio-out-Setting menu.
    • You may NOT have an AV receiver capable of decoding Dolby Digital Plus.
    • Testing native1080p is by Checking maximum bits per second from your Router (comparison between devices is not reliable), the video signal could be 720p up-converted to 1080p signal!!!
    • The latest Netflix app/channel usually supports adaptive-streaming and 1080P. (already available on some streaming players!)

So, unless you have Sony NSZ-GT1 w/GoogleTV 2.0 or Revue w/GoogleTV 2.0 you won't be able to know if Netflix app/ GoogleTV 2.0 supports 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus Audio!!

Hopefully someone in this forum with Sony NSZ-GT1 w/GoogleTV 2.0 may post his/her experience.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I had a Playstation 3 which supports 5.1 channel audio from Netflix; however, the PS3 only supports DD+ via bit-streaming from discs and does not bitstream DD+ for Netflix. So, even though the Netflix offered 5.1 audio streaming, it not recognized as DD+ by the AV receiver but as Dolby 5.1 instead. While the movies that support 5.1 streaming have been encoded with DD+, it doesn't necessarily the audio stream has to be streamed natively.

Furthermore, you should understand that the Sony Internet TV support HDMI-ARC which allows the HDMI audio to flow bi-directionally. Therefore, a dedicated HDMI output isn't required to achieve Dolby Digital Plus compatible output.

Actually, you're wrong about the juxtaposition with bandwidth and resolution. The 1080p video streams will use up more bandwidth because it is streaming more data. If you were to receiving a 720p video stream which was then up-converted for a 1080p display will utilize the exact same bandwidth as a 720p video stream displayed at 720p. This is because the up conversion is being handled by device's up-scaler process not some imaginary network mechanism.

5. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Thanks again for your comments,

However this is not about PS3 audio support!!
    AppleTV2 transcod Netflix audio 5.1DD+ to 5.1DD same as PS3, but on the other hand there are other player bitstream Netflix audio in native Dolbly digital Plus.

That’s why I posted my original question at the top of the thread!

Btw, Q- Have you actually bitstreamed Dolby digital Plus on Sony Internet TV ? (from any source! before!)

There is Not a single report were GoogleTV -HDMI-ARC bitstreamed Dolbly digital Plus from any source!!!! (or any HDMI-ARC in that matter!)

Usually, Audio Return Channel (ARC) will act as digital audio out & will only pass 2 channel PCM audio, unless the source is from OTA signal then ARC will only pass 5.1 Dolby digital legacy.

Your above new comment seems to be True. Therefore,

Therefore, I mentioned checking the router for bandwidth and data usage when testing streaming 1080p video in order to determine wither the streaming in 720p or 1080p.

The way you tested 1080p video streaming early, you made comparison between GTV2.0 and anther player by streaming the same title ‘Iron Man’ and then you tried to determine wither the streaming is in720p or 1080p by just looking at it (my comment on this was “that’s not a reliable test”) and you could be looking at native 720p video that is up-converted to 1080p signal and would look almost as good as 1080p.

Anyway, thank for your testing, as you said early (and correct me if I’m wrong) that Netflix App on Sony Internet TV w/GoogleTV 2.0 does support HD contents in native 1080p video but does NOT support HD contents in 5.1 Dolby digital Plus audio.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011