Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GT1 : Can I control AV unit and TV with remote?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by asmarti08, Nov 26, 2011.

1. asmarti08

asmarti08 New Member

I have the Logitech Revue that I just bought within the last two weeks, and I am considering returning it after finding out that they are discontinuing support for it (though they've stated they will be releasing the Honeycomb update soon).

One feature I do really like on the Revue is that I can use the Android app on my phone to simply click "Watch Google TV" and it will automatically turn on my Sony TV and Sony AV (surround sound) unit.

What I need to know is if the Sony GTV unit can perform this same function. I would switch to it for sure if so.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, you can control AV Receiver via IR with the Sony NSG-MR1 Remote Commander. However, the "Watch Google TV" is what's known as a Harmony Activity as is only applicable on the Logitech Revue. Sony does have their own Google TV remote known as the Media Remote and it is available on both the iOS and Android Marketplace but it has other unique features.

• Like Like x 2
  3. asmarti08

asmarti08 New Member

Thanks for the reply, eferz.

I noticed in your signature that you have the Revue, also. Would you recommend switching to the Sony unit? Do you think the Honeycomb update will be enough to allow the Revue to be a very satisfying unit for a long time? I'm wondering if further updates will be released that the Revue will not get but the Sony unit will, which is why I might return it.

I would appreciate your opinion on this matter! Thanks a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I honestly like the Revue better for the fact that you have the ability to customize and control the layout of the IR commands. Even though Google TV can only control three other types of devices; Set-top box, AV Receiver, and Television, the Revue allows me the flexibility about seven separate devices. Of course, I had to teach the necessary commands of four seperate remotes but in the I can control my entertainment center with just the keyboard.

The Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player has advantages, since Sony added the codecs necessary to play DVD and Blu-Rays you'll be able to DTS which none of the other Google TV boxes can do, not even the Sony televisions. It also has a faster processor and more storage space; 1.66 Ghz CE4170 with 8GB. Though while running Google TV 1.0 between the Revue and the Sony Internet TV, I didn't notice any difference in speed. Another nice thing about the Sony line is that they haven't announced that it is discontinued. So, at least you can expect further development support from it.

My only problem with the Sony Google TV line is the lack of customization. Basically, if they do not have your remote then you're pretty much stuck using the original remote. Even if they have your remote, it is possible the certain buttons aren't programmed properly. So, if you have a problem then Technical support will respond to the effect that it may be implemented in an up coming patch. I've been waiting over six months for the IR codes for the Xbox 360. Using the Roku is kind of annoying because in order to go "Home" menu, I have to click GTV Menu > Device Control > Home. While the key on the remote for "Guide" does absolutely nothing. It's frustrating after having so much control with the Logitech Revue.

Btw, have you considered keeping the Revue for the Keyboard? If you purchase a $10 Unify receiver then you can use it with the Sony Google TV devices. The Logitech Keyboard Controller alone costs the same as the Revue with the Keyboard, so you might as well keep it. I posted instructions here, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ech-revue-keyboard-sony-google-tv-device.html"

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  5. asmarti08

asmarti08 New Member

Interesting. I too think that the "universal remote" functionality that naturally is implemented with the Revue because of Logitech's Harmony is really nice.

So I think I have two options:

1) Just stick with the Revue ($0)
    2) Keep Revue + keyboard, purchase Unify receiver ($10), purchase NSZ-GT1 (~$170)

If I am keeping the Revue for the keyboard, then it's harder to justify the purchase of the NSZ-GT1.
    I think I may return the Revue and see if I can live with Sony's IR/remote functionality for now. If I want the Revue keyboard later, I can still go that route.
    It's a tough decision because for me, I'm considering all this just because Sony may have better support down the road (more updates).

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I think part of why I want to switch to the Sony is that I am impatient and I want the Google TV update now. It'd be easier if Logitech would actually release an ETA for the update. Meh.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Totally understandable. Good luck in your decision.

• Like Like x 2
  7. vivshank

vivshank New Member

Hi eferz -- thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge on these forums. i'm a happy customer of the sony blu-ray/googletv device but it's annoying that you can't change (or even cycle through) the inputs on the receiver. have you figured out any other way to do this -- other than using the revue keyboard?