Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GT1 can access the internet, but primetime and some other apps cannot.

Discussion in 'Sony NSZ-GT1' started by moodshift, Aug 21, 2013.

1. moodshift

moodshift New Member

Hi,

I bought a Sony NSZ-GT1 on ebay recently. I set it up within 20 feet of my Belkin router, and it is basically working... I can play video from the Play store, from Youtube with Chrome from websites, CNBC works, etc. What doesn't work is the Prime Time set up, which rejects all my zip codes and gives me the "nothing to display here" error, please check internet settings, etc. Also, the accuweather apppllication won't find display the weather for my location, even after I have set it. I am connecting to my wifi network (obviously) and getting an IP address assigned from DHCP, but according to the network status report in Network Settings, Internet and wifi is "unknown."

After the initial set up, performance was pretty bad in terms of dropped connections during a stream and slow resolution in the YouTube app, so I did a factory reset, which improved performance, but I still have the problem with PrimeTime and Accuweather apps.

What I've tried:

- I brought it to work and set it up for a test, where everything worked and streamed video all day.
    - I tried again at home using ethernet and not wifi, with no change to the PrimeTime set up failures.
    - I tried using a static IP address for the wifi connection, using google's DNS service (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) with no change to the PrimeTime set up failures.

So I guess it seems like it has something to do with my home network, but I'm not sure what else I can do to troubleshoot it. The Belkin router firmware is as updated as it will accept.

Besides troubleshooting advice, my question is, what does it mean when the Network Status says the Internet and Wifi is "unknown?" Especially given the fact that I am in fact connecting to the network and streaming internet video.

Thansks

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Where are you? It does sound like a home network or router problem. I am using the Sony NSZ-GT1 in two rooms and it continues to work great for me. I also purchased mine used or as customer returns.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Have you tried rebooting your router by unplugging it for 30 seconds?

I recommend connecting your Google TV device directly to your DSL modem. If it works bypassing the router at least you can determine the cause of this issue. Most likely there is a setting (s) on you router that is blocking the apps from going out. Check if there is a block Ping inbounds setting than can be disabled or try turning off your firewall.

Here are some tips directly from the Sony web site:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34310/c/65,66/p/61659,63656,63657,63661/

Have you tried tip #3 (see below)?

"Make sure the router is broadcasting the Service Set Identifier (SSID). In many cases the Internet video device will loose connection to the router between uses if the SSID is not being broadcast. To resolve this issue, change the router security setting to broadcast the SSID."

Here are some more wireless router tips:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405996,00.asp

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  4. moodshift

moodshift New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm still working on this, but I was able to get past a hurdle by plugging ethernet into the IP phone router that is ahead of the wireless. This a) localizes the issue to the combination of networking gear and b) got me over the hump with the video set up, that requires my zip code is detected and HDMI source from the cable box works in order to set up the IR blaster code. So I'm back to my mostly working set up and concentrating on getting the IR control working right (another issue.) In the meantime I downloaded Better Terminal Emulator, and I guess I have to poke around and compare results from the network utilities with using the wireless router and bypassing it. My set up is more complicated than typical I suppose, though I've been running several computers for years like this with no issue, and if I had to open up or forward a port to make things work I can do that, however not knowing what needs to be open makes it difficult. I'm pretty sure that if I knew the answer to "why can't accuweather find my location but pretty much everything else works" I'd have a major clue.

5. djangofan

djangofan New Member

For me, the YouTube app stopped working altogether on around September 1, 2013. I might try resetting the device and re-updating the firmware. Also, I might try putting the device on a DMZ. I am not counting my chickens though... it makes sense that the YouTube app would eventually stop working, especially since Sony doesn't publish any updates for the NSZ-GT1.

6. moodshift

moodshift New Member

Djangofan, if it helps, I got everything working pretty well by rearranging my network so the NSZ-GT1 didn't go through two routers. The youtube app is fine for me. I'm running the latest 3.1 honeycomb update on the device. I don't know if it ever worked but I can't access youtube via Chrome, it just dies with a sad folder icon.

Start with clearning the Youtube cache and data in Manage applications before doing a device reset, in case its simple.

Off topic but I found the GTV tasker plug in along with the Tasker android app on my phone to be interesting. I made a little app that will turn my cable box on and off with it, since for some reason there is no way to do that except to go into Live TV advanced options subfolders.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube used to work fine with the GTV Chrome browser - however it's been broke for about three months now. It's all explained in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...access-youtube-via-google-chrome-anymore.html