Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GT1 and Bose LS receiver.

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by rhartpfa, Nov 27, 2011.

1. rhartpfa

rhartpfa New Member

I am hoping that someone can help with the following issue: I am not a techie or geek, but I like good audio. I recently purchased the Sony NSZ-GT1 ITV and Blu-Ray player combo. I connected everything the way the docs instructed and connected my Bose LifeStyle 30 series II receiver via the optical cable since it does not have an HDMI input. The television programming (ATT U-verse) will play through the Bose system (don't know if its true dolby HD - but at least the sound is coming from the Bose speakers). However, when I insert a BD (Dark Knight) the video switches from TV to BD but the audio continues to be from the TV program that was on. I can receive the audio portion of the BD through the TV's built in speakers, but that is not as enjoyable. Any clue as to what is going on? Sony's online help was pathetic! I appreciate any help you can give me.

Rick

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That is very odd. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the settings at GTV Settings > Picture & Sound. Have you tried playing with them? Unfortunately, I don't have a NSZ-GT1 so I'm not sure what settings they should be set to in order for it to work correctly. However, I do know that you can exit the Live TV app when it is in the foreground by holding down to the GTV Back button. This will popup a window allowing you to exit the TV Player.

3. rhartpfa

rhartpfa New Member

Well, I did some more experimenting and have found that the ONLY thing that will play through the Bose system is TV. Whether watching the BD player or Netflix, the audio from the Bose system is the last TV channel I was watching. The audio from the TV's speakers is correctly matched to the program being watched. I don't really understand HDMI and the "pass-through" or daisy chaining capabilities, but I my components connected as per the diagrams supplied by Sony (Uverse STB==>Sony ITV==>TV). I don't know if switching the sequence with make a difference, but I hate moving cables around (PIA) just for the fun of it. I have also considered taking the Sony ITV out of the chain and moving it to its own HDMI input on the TV (I have 4 available). I initially bought the Sony because I was in the market for a decent Blu-ray and was intrigued by the Google ITV aspect. I really like how the one remote can control everything (using my previous set up required juggling 3 remotes when watching BD... TV remote to switch source to HDMI2, Sony BD remote to control playback, and Bose remote (RF) to control audio.)

Rick

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Something concerns me about that, and I wonder if your Bose Lifestyle 30 is able to support anything other than PCM or Dolby Digital. So, I looked up the manual for your Bose system and on page 12,

Since the NSZ-GT1 does not have coax digital outputs, then I'd have to assume you have an Optical to Coax Digital Converter or I'm reading the wrong manual. It concerns me because the bit about the "valid digital signal" makes me wonder if DTS Digital Audio is actually supported by your Bose system. Can you try going into GTV Settings > Picture & sound > DTS (Optical) > Off. I apologize and know this is something I vaguely suggested in my original response but wasn't sure whether or not you've already tried it.

P.s., you also might have to set GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Audio output priority > Optical