Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GS8 - Almost ZERO .mkv playback or support! WTFF !!!

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by cfowler, Sep 12, 2015.

1. cfowler

cfowler New Member

I own several D-Link Boxee Box's and due to lack of support and occasional freeze-ups on the odd .mkv file, I decided to get into something more current with support. Boxee has always played nearly 100% of the mkv's and other files I've thrown at it which I've always been happy with. This SONY NSZ-GS8 plays about 10% of the mkv's I have, which is aggravating beyond description. I have the latest firmware installed also. Why doesn't this piece of **** play mkv? I've read it may have something to do with DTS incompatibility. Is there anything I can do to hack it up update it? I tried installing third party video player from the Play store such as BS Player but no luck. I'm seriously considering putting the player in my vice and destroying it with a hammer.

Thanks for any help.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

MKV is a container which can be used with file formats the NSZ-GS7/GS8 can play and some it can't play, it does not support DTS. As far as I know there was no way to obtain a file with DTS audio, other than illegal downlaods or illegal copying of Blu-ray or DVD discs so Sony didn't pay the licensing fees to DTS to add support. There was certainly no streaming with DTS audio or traditional TV source with DTS audio when the Sony player was released. The Sony NSZ-GT1 is also a Blu-ray player and DVD player therefore it does support DTS.

Here is a list of supported formats for the various Google TV models. The GS8 is identical to the GS7, other than voice remote control.

Video and audio formats - ViMu Player - Your Google TV Media player

I have never seen anything that would make me believe it is possible to add DTS support to any Google TV model that doesn't support it.

3. alucard9114

alucard9114 New Member

Get mx player from play store

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That app isn't compatible with the NSZ-GS7/GS8 and even if it is possible to side load it, it won't add DTS support to this model.

5. Kurkosdr

Kurkosdr New Member

Vimu media player supports MKV, Dolby Digital stereo playback and subtitles on Google TV devices. Vimu Media Player for TV official website

Exotic sound formats such as DTS are another matter of course. Some GoogleTV devices support it, some not. And software decoding is not possible because the DTS company is very protective of its patents and app stores don't allow unlicensed software decoders.

You must know that MKV is a stream container, not a format, and it allows any kind of exotic sound formats such as DTS, FLAC, Vorbis and whatnot. Hence, no device can have "100% MKV support" because there is an infinite number of sound formats out there (same for video formats of course).

So, if you want support for a particular exotic patented format, you either have to a)handpick your devices to support it or b)use a tool like avidemux to convert the sound stream. Just open the file, set "container" to MKV, "video" to Copy and "audio" to the some format supported by your device. Then click the save icon and avidemux will convert the audio without touching the video, which will save you lots of time.

Or you can just avoid evil formats like DTS like I do.

• Like Like x 1