Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GS7 Now $135.98 On Amazon

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 31, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I just noticed the new price of $135.98 for the Sony NSZ-GS7 on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player with Google TV: Electronics

Some interesting observations that I currently noticed:

1) The NSZ-GS7 is currently #128 on the Amazon electronics bestseller list. This is the highest (best) that it ever has been. When the price was between $169 to $199 it fluctuated between #300 and #500. When the price came down to $148 it was in the #200s in the same electronics bestseller chart.

2) The $99 Vizio Co-Star is currently #111 on the same Amazon electronics bestseller chart. This is the approximate area it has been since it appeared on Amazon.

3) The $94.99 Hisense Pulse is currently #992 on the same Amazon electronics bestseller chart. I have seen it in a range between #450 to where it is currently. I find it somewhat strange that even though the Hisense Pulse is $5 lower in price than the Vizio Co-Star - it is not selling nearly as well. I think this is due to Vizio having more brand recognition.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Comparing digital media devices, the NSZ-GS7 is no. 5 and there are three Google TV boxes in the top 15 and I would expect the Hisense Pulse to be there as well very soon. The Sony NSZ-GT1 is classified as a Blu-ray player and is no. 45 on that list.

Amazon Best Sellers: best Digital Media Devices

This is a great price for the NSZ-GS7 and I would consider it the best value of any of the digital media devices.

3. CatfishRivers

I'm not sure why Amazon doesn't list the new Apple TV box in their "Digital Media Devices" list - but if they did it would take the number 1 slot. Instead it is listed in the "Televisions & Video" list where it is currently number 1:

Amazon Best Sellers: best Televisions & Video Products

On the "Televisions & Video" list currently:

1) new Apple TV box

2) Roku 2 XS

60) Co-Star

65) Sony NSZ-GS7

IMO Apple also has the advantage in any price war - as they make a profit from iTunes sales on their Apple TV units.. Roku also monetizes some of their content. So yeah there will be more GTV boxes sold as the prices continue to drop - but one has to wonder how many units need to be sold at thin margins to make it worthwhile for the manufacturers. I don't believe that Google TV manufacturers monetize their boxes with content sales/ads as much as Apple TV and Roku do.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

I have a Roku but no Apple TV and haven't really paid much attention to Apple TV. I would be interested in knowing total sales of each of those three platforms, other than being sure Google TV is third right now, I can't get a good estimate of total sales. I would guess Google TV is in the 3 million range while Roku and Apple TV are in the 10 million range. Ultimately I still expect Google TV to sell more than either of the others but so far, it is clear that isn't happening.

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

If GTV gains market share they will have to ramp up advertising ie Windows 8! For those in the know the Pulse will be the number one choice currently due to the built in mic on the remote. For those who want the full range of android Apps on the TV a non-GTV android box is where it's at or perhaps a rooted GTV Pulse box. We could be at the cusp of GTV recognition as the Smart TV box of choice in public opinion. However, LG appears to be the largest advertiser of it's Smart TV technology in my neck of the woods at least over the holidays.

6. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

7. oberharley

oberharley New Member

I'm glad you posted this - I took my receipt for it back to best buy & got $35 ... not sure if I'm keeping it or going to try Apple TV. This one reminds me too much of the old Microsoft box over a dial up connection :cool:

8. malaugh

malaugh New Member

I bought one yesterday at Best Buy. The listed price was $199, but they price matched the Amazon deal. Got a returned HDMI cable for $7.99. Set it up last night. I like it.

9. oberharley

oberharley New Member

I wont get appletv - no web browser. The gs7 with google chrome is why I chose the Sony. malaugh - do you have an android phone? I have an iphone & now I'm thinking of getting an android phone (due for an update anyway...) because I want to see what the phone/gs7 combo will be like. I've been messing with the gs7 for quite a bit now (2 days) & my opinion is that it's unstable going from apps to chrome, or vice versa, for some reason.

10. ChrisG8

I suspect you are doing the same thing most users do, leave apps running, trying to run Chrome with several windows open at the same time. Install Smart Ram Booster if you haven't, it is a free app that will shutdown unused apps, free RAM and make things run better. My first generation boxes are not unstable switching from apps to Chrome or running anything I run but it requires babying the box. For the first year or so, I would manually go to settings and close unneeded apps to keep mine running right so Smart Ram Booster made operation easier. I can bring mine to a near standstill by running several apps, leaving several web pages open simultaneously but it is worthless in that state. Your complaint is nothing new and I certainly understand people just start using their new device, no consideration for resources and how to manage its limited processing power. This is an inexpensive computer like appliance, not a super computer.

• Like Like x 2
  11. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I recently installed the smart ram booster and I can't believe what a difference it made!

12. oberharley

oberharley New Member

Thanks for the tip!! Going to try it now...

13. oberharley

oberharley New Member

easy fix to the problem of tabs....auto-close! It works great with only 1 app running at a time.

Seems like we should continue this discussion on the google+ gtv community?

14. malaugh

malaugh New Member

I do have an android phone, mainly because I'm a cheapskate. iPhones cost $300 at the phone store, then you have to commit for two years and pay almost $100 a month for service. I bought a Sony Smartphone for $230 without a contract from Amazon. I currently pay around $10 a month with no data. If I wanted a good data plan I would need to pay $40 a month.

I was looking at the Plex apps at the Andriod store. I have a server with all my music, photos and videos. I tried aVia, and it worked, but I need to browse for content using folders. ill keep you posed on my progress

• Like Like x 2
  15. CatfishRivers

Based on this article from from February 28th, 2012 - which says that at time there were less than 1 million GTV devices in use - my guestimate for current GTV sales is approx. 2 million units tops:

Scoop: Less than 1M Google TV devices in use — Online Video News

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  16. ChrisG8

That article is incorrect, I am certain of that. My best guess is over 3 million Google TV devices sold to date but that number is terrible and not something Google or anybody else will disclose at this point. There isn't any company accumulating worldwide sales from Sony, Logitech, Vizio, LG and Hisense while Apple TV and Roku each have one company brand on the box, one company keeping track accurately. Throw in the Android TV sticks so many people thought were Google TV devices when purchased, we would probably find a market that believed it was buying Google TV close to the total Roku number but the total real Google TV at about 3 million is such a disappointment for many reasons and the confusion caused by the Android TV sticks is only one small factor.

17. Bronson

Bronson New Member

How? 198 is new
    130 is used

18. CatfishRivers

Sometimes you have to log into the Amazon shopping cart to see their (Amazon's) official price. But you're right - the price has gone back up a bit. I just logged into my Amazon shopping cart and the NSZ-GS7 is currently selling for $166.59 new.

The price that Amazon charges periodically changes on the Amazon web site.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013