Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GS7 IR Blaster with TiVo

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by thmedia, Jul 11, 2012.

1. thmedia

thmedia New Member

Hi,
    I just received the new NSZ-GS7 yesterday, and ran into an issue during setup that I'd like to see if anyone here has experience with. I have RCN Cable, and a TiVo Premiere Series 4 TCD746320, which is also the HD Cable tuner. So right now I have TiVo > NSZ-GS7 > LG Plasma TV. The NSZ-GS7 Setup had only 1 IR Blaster code for the TiVo and that did not work, so right now my GoogleTV is pretty useless for controlling/searching the HD Cable. I tried getting through the setup then adding the TiVo as the TV source manually, but again the NSZ-GS7 only had 1 code available for the IR Blaster ( I think something like C2570), which does not work.

Any suggestions on how to get the NSZ-GS7 to send IR control to the TiVo?

Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 2
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Sony NSZ-GS7 have your TiVo (model: TCD746320) listed under PVR - see this link

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. thmedia

thmedia New Member

Thanks for the response, though Im still not seeing any model numbers. I select TiVo as the manufacturer, and under model the only option is "Comcast".

4. thmedia

thmedia New Member

Actually, you're right! I was selecting Cable instead of PVR for the device type. For all those adding TiVo, selecting PVR is the way to go even if its your cable turner as well. Thanks for the help.

5. thmedia

thmedia New Member

One additional question -- it appears that the NSZ-GS7 doesn't read the TiVo as a TV Input source since it's added as PVR. Meaning I can't do any of the channel searching, or use BuddyTV or do any of the cool things that GoogleTV can do interacting with a cable box. Any thoughts on how to make it work so that the TiVo can be added as a cable input to support all of those functions?

Thanks again

6. Dave

Dave New Member

Just got mine yesterday and same issue. I figured out using PVR to control the TiVo pretty quick, but am stuck with no interaction of the Sony and the FIOS Guide from my cable/fiber provider.

This could be a deal breaker for me and reason enough to return the box to Amazon. (I'm not too fond of the remote either, too complicated.)

Did you find a workaround for this?

7. thmedia

thmedia New Member

Nope, haven't found a solution! I wonder if this issue is limited to the NSZ-GS7 or if it affects all googleTV?

8. Dave

Dave New Member

The Logitech Revue does not behave the same way. With mine, the IR Blaster controls the TiVo and lets me pick my cable provider. The TV & Movies app works as expected.

Setup is different, there's no mention of IR Blaster on the Revue.

I mention the issue to @GoogleTV on Twitter...they emailed me to ask what the issue is and I'll reply in detail tomorrow. In my opinion the app should just let you pick what guide/listing service you want within the app, or at least override what it's assuming.

9. thmedia

thmedia New Member

Dave, thanks for the heads up - and thank you for contacting the folks @GoogleTV... I'm excited/curious to hear the outcome

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity,
    Do have the external IR blaster connected to Sony box and placed in front of TiVo's IR receiver? – just in case Sony’s built in IR blaster is out of reach - also, are you able to turn On/Off (or control) TiVo from Sony’s remote? (by pressing menu in TV mode).

11. halox

halox New Member

Nope. Doesn't work. Just got the Sony box today, and I'm actually amazed at how much more difficult it is to set up than the Revue. I figured it would set up in a heartbeat ... but, nope. I'm stuck here trying to figure out how to make the TV and MOVIES app work the way it should ... and when I press the DVR button on the remote, it does nothing. (But GUIDE properly works to bring up the TiVo guide ... but I can't access my recordings on the DVR... WTF?)

I'm no stranger to Google TV ... and I'm having a tough time with this Sony box. We'll see what happens ...

12. halox

halox New Member

I'm halfway to a solution - using an old eferz technique. I set up a new device ... and called it a SATELLITE device (even though it's a TiVo HD box with Time Warner cable cards). Then, when asked what the service was, I put in BROADCAST DIGITAL. I put in my TiVo information and tried to control it. First attempt - didn't work. I clicked try again - didn't work. I clicked try again - and on the 3rd attempt, it switched channels. Now I'm able to press the DVR button on the Sony Remote and have it bring up the TiVo home screen.

I still can't get the TV & Movies app to work, though ... hmmm ... I'll have to keep playing around with it, but it's getting late. If someone else cracks it, let me know.

13. Dave

Dave New Member

I'm using the external IR blaster, and it controls the TiVo fine (except as noted below). This is a setup issue with the Sony...they've done something odd with the TiVo programming.

Yes, definitely a steep learning curve compared to the Revue. I hadn't even noticed the DVR button does nothing (TiVo Premier XL selected).

You can get to the TiVo My Shows menu by hitting the left arrow button on the 4-way controller, just like doing so on the TiVo's native remote gets you there. Sony did a really bad job with the software re: TiVo it seems. Logitech had no problems.

You won't get the TV & Movie app to work the way it should. Hit GoogleTV support up like I did; maybe more complaints will get a higher fix priority.

14. Dave

Dave New Member

Missed your second post (posted at same time as mine last night). I'd tried multiple different devices trying to get the TiVo working for both control and guide information in the TV & Movies app, but never thought to try the satellite section. I'll play with it as well following your lead, but unless we can get the TV & Movies app to think it's talking to a TWC (FIOS for me) STB, we're screwed until they fix the app.

• Like Like x 2
  15. halox

halox New Member

I can figure out the new remote, but my wife will kill me if she has to use the Sony one. So that's why I hooked up my Logitech Mini Remote and full-sized Revue keyboard to my GS7 through the usb unifying receiver. Presto. A newer Google TV with the same controllers everyone is used to. ;)

16. thmedia

thmedia New Member

Yup, I'm now at the same point. I've tried Satellite, PVR and Cable (which won't function with the TiVo right now) and to no avail. Who is responsible for pushing a fix to this, and whats our best line of communication to help facilitate a resolution?

17. Dave

Dave New Member

You, sir, are a genius. I've got a spare one of those laying around. Why didn't I think of that? LOL

GoogleTV had a hangout on Google+ today with the Sony rep. I asked in the chat if this was a Google or Sony issue to fix (the TiVo thing), but they chose not to read the question. :(

• Like Like x 2
  18. halox

halox New Member

Thanks for trying to find an answer - I was thinking about viewing that discussion, but work got in the way. You've saved me some time, my friend.

As far as the Logitech keyboard is concerned, it works great with the exception of powering my TV on and off. The button that should do it only powers the Sony GTV unit on and off. I'll have to play around with different FN+(key) combinations to see if I can make it work. Too bad you can't map the buttons like you can on the Revue.

19. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Does it require a computer to pair the Revue keyboard to the unifying receiver? And can I purchase just a separate unifying receiver - or do I need to purchase a Logitech keyboard or mouse to get a hold of one of the unifying receivers?

I found these instructions on the Logitech site and it seems as though a computer is necessary:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23116/related/1

I couldn't find a unifying receiver for sale a-la carte on the Logitech site.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  20. halox

halox New Member

Yes, a computer is required to pair the keyboard to the receiver ... but then after that, all of the information is stored on the USB receiver, so it can basically go into any device. And you can pair multiple keyboards / peripherals to it.

I think you can pick up the receiver for 10 bucks or so on ebay.

New Logitech Unifying Receiver Wireless USB Mouse Keyboard on eBay!

• Like Like x 2