Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GS7 Currently Selling For $148 On Amazon

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 30, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

It's the same price up on sony.com.Just don't know if the GS8 is worth the difference!

3. CatfishRivers

The Sony NSZ-GS8 is now available on Amazon for $199.99. (The NSZ-GS8 is the same box as the NSZ-GS7 - the only difference is that the NSZ-GS8 is packaged with the voice remote):

Amazon.com: Sony NSZGS8 Internet Player with Google TV: Electronics

I noticed that the NSZ-GS8 for $199.99 is not selling nearly as well as the NSZ-GS7 at $148. I also noticed that Amazon is out of stock for the NSZ -GS7 and is now offering it through third party sellers. IMO the $148 price for the NSZ-GS7 is a liquidation - and once gone then only the NSZ-GS8 will be offered.

Given enough time - if the NSZ- GS8 continues to sell poorly - the price will eventually come down for that also.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

You might be better off with the N7 and the Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update ....!:cool:

5. SchmittyThePirate

SchmittyThePirate New Member

I suggest those interested in picking up a NSZ-GS7 check Ebay. I was able find one for $54, free shipping. Can't beat that.

6. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

7. CatfishRivers

OK this seems kind of strange. The Sony NSZ-GS7 price is now back up to $198 on Amazon (from a third party seller) - and it is currently ranked #685 in the Amazon Electronics Bestsellers Chart.

While currently the Sony NSZ-GS8 costs $199.82 and is ranked #2500 in the same Amazon Electronics Bestsellers chart.

Seeing as how both the NSZ-GS7 and NSZ-GS8 now cost basically the same - why is the newer NSZ-GS8 (with what should be the preferred voice remote) - selling so much worse than the NSZ-GS7?

Maybe a lot of people are still unaware that the NSZ-GS8 is available on Amazon?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The best seller list is as a result of sales for a period of time, not only the few hours or few minutes since Amazon ran out of the NSZ-GS7. Right now the only marketplace sellers of the NSZ-GS7 have it priced too high. The higher ranking of the NSZ-GS7 is reflective of the fact the NSZ-GS7 has been priced considerably lower than the NSZ-GS8 for the last few weeks but if that situation will no longer be the norm, the NSZ-GS8 will definitely outsell the NSZ-GS7.

9. CatfishRivers

Well if you look at my previous post (post #3 from this thread) - you will see that as of July 5th Amazon was out-of-stock for the NSZ-GS7. A few days ago the price went from $148 up to $168 (from third party sellers). Then the price went back up to near $199 yesterday - as the various third party sellers run out of stock for the NSZ-GS7. So it's been longer than hours & minutes. But I agree one would expect the NSZ-GS8 to sell better than the NSZ-GS7 if they are both priced the same. It appears as though the NSZ-GS7 is being liquidated - then only the NSZ-GS8 will be available...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  10. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

While up on the Sony site early Saturday Morning they had the GS7 for $148 also with free shipping so I snatched up one at that price to have as backup.Sunday they were back to $169.Even the Revues on amazon are going for a higher price.I know on my tablet going from ICS 4.0 to JB 4.2.2 with flash 11.1 made a difference as day and night.Before some apps were not compatible now all are.If they get our upgrade done right we all will be really impressed with our GTV! Kinda looking forward to the up grade.The way I look at it if I can access a full website I'd rather save it to home page apps rather than eat up memory with downloading apps for sites!

11. CatfishRivers

I just checked on Amazon and the Sony NSZ-GS8 is already marked down to $193.42. (I had to add it to my Amazon shopping cart to get their current price). IMO this is only the first of several markdowns for the GS8.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  12. CatfishRivers

13. tinman319

tinman319 New Member

Saw the Sony NSZ-GS7 for $99 at Target marked with a red/orange clearance tag last week when I was in the Seattle area. The store I happened to be in had 4 of them,all unopened new boxes. Realize this is the older model but some on this site might still be interested at that price.

14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Buy the Target $99 NSZ-GS7 and then purchase the NSG-MR7U separately, that would be a better deal than the Amazon offer. The NSG-MR5U could be sold on eBay or kept.

15. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately in a post-Chromecast world, the Sony is looking a lot like a Logitech Revue Redux.

A quality, well thought out box, but underpowered, overpriced, with firmware not where it should be, and content providers slacking.

If they'd bumped up the CPU power and RAM, there might have been a solid niche for the box even at that price if Jelly Bean is ever released and isn't crippled. I like my GS7, and it's still on the top of the GTV heap as far as I'm concerned, but that's not enough.

16. CatfishRivers

Thats why Sony is coming out with their post Chromecast GTV -:)

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...cussion/8319-new-sony-device-fcc-listing.html

There is some debate about whether the upcoming Sony NSZ-GU1 is a GTV device or a Chromecast device. We'll find out hopefully by the end of August when the FCC secrecy clause is lifted. I'm leaning in the direction that this will be one of the 'new-wave' GTV boxes/sticks.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  17. jonw747

That will hopefully hit the right price point, but if it's lacking HDMI passthrough, faster CPU, more RAM, and either full Android or Chrome OS support it's still going to come up short of what the GS8 should have been.

18. drhill

drhill Member

Likely before the 27th, catfish. Companies usually set those dates for after announcements, though the way things flow in the gtv verse...

HDMI pass through doesn't matter for those who are cable cutters (ignoring antennas for ota broadcasts) or for those who want to replace the cable box but not cable, which is me. My two requirements, besides full codec support, is the primetime app and an Ethernet port.

19. jonw747

Sure. I'm not saying the new device won't have a niche, but it's not going to be a GoogeTv upgrade if it's lacking GoogleTv features. Unfortunately, its niche would put it up against devices like the Chromecast, Android PC dongles, and all the other streamers. If Sony doesn't get this right, they might as well just scrap the idea.

Unfortunately in the Android world, it takes a lot of CPU power to build an impressive device and the stick doesn't appear to be pushing any new boundaries in that respect. Apple and Roku have always been very good at optimizing the usability of their devices to the available CPU power.

Inclusion of something like Miracast or Widi in any new streamer sure would be nice. There's an Android PC that supposedly can support Miracast with an App, and has a quad core CPU and 2GB of RAM for $87. Very tempting.

20. drhill

drhill Member

It might be something more in between a full GTV device and a Chromecase. Making it more Roku like.