Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GS7 and Logitech Harmony Remotes

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by tinsnow, Aug 28, 2012.

1. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

Hi, Anyone using Sony NSZ-GS7 google tv and Logitech Harmony remotes. (IR/RF). I know that NSZ-GS7 remote communicates itself via bluetooth. Does it take IR also? If yes anyone tested it using Logitech remotes. Sony PS3 also communicates using Bluetooth and Logitech has an adapter to take care of this. Any luck in similar fashion or using the same adapter.

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

No.
    The unit has no IR receiver.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Surely if the Harmony PS3 IR to Bluetooth adapter worked with the NSZ-GS7, we would know about it, but I guess it is possible that there is so little interest in using Harmony remotes with Google TV that owners of both devices just haven't tried it yet.

4. kserge5534

kserge5534 New Member

I am using the Harmony One to control this. Utilize the HDMI control through your TV or Receiver if you have a device that is capable. Obviously you lose the keyboard.

5. bartali

bartali New Member

Hi Forum,

are there any news about this topic.
    I got the sony box a week ago and really want to control it with the harmony.

There are a few USB-IR Adapters for the PS3 and the Logitech IR-Bluetooth Adapter.
    Will one of these work with the NSZ-GS7?

regards

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Kind of doubt it.

7. djrobinn

djrobinn New Member

I was also thinking about this issue having a Harmony One remote. But soon after hooking it all up, I realized I don't really need it. Initially (before I got the device), this was my plan:
    - Leave the Sony player as a standalone device and NOT running the Cisco PVR cable into it as in my mind, I thought it would only cause confusion for others in the house
    - Make another activity on the Harmony One for basically switching the AV Receiver inputs accordingly and only use it when I want to browse, etc.

Once I got the device, I did hook it up as mentioned above but when I ran the Cisco PVR cable into it, I was thrilled by the fact that the cable was watchable even if the Google player was off (quick mode, not sure if the standby mode supports HDMI pass-thru). I found that to have the following advantages:
    - Zero harmony re-programming, since you unplug the HDMI from your AV Receiver/ TV and hook it up into the Sony Player, and run a new HDMI cable from its HDMI OUT to the same input which the cable box was using before (no input change)
    - I love the pip thing where I can do stuff in a browser window while watching TV in a PIP window.
    - I don't have to train anyone in the house coz nobody cares about it, I just hit my good old Watch TV activity as I always did, but if I wanted a little bit more, I just power up the sony player and voila... I got google.

hope this helps with any similar decisions.

8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Same here...

Cheers :)

9. hc9818

hc9818 New Member

Unlike my Sony Home Theater System, the NSZ-GS7 standby mode does not support HDMI pass-thru. I have found the box becomes just too hot to leave it in quick start mode. I hope Sony can improve that in the future.

10. djrobinn

djrobinn New Member

11. ChrisG8

I thought about the triple sensor version but instead bought the dual version on eBay. Signal strength isn't nearly as good as the included IR blaster with my NSZ-GT1, it works but not consistently and not well enough to recommend.

12. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

If the AVR is equipped with muli-hdmi-out ports (like in my case), that can be handy for all family members. i.e.,

STB > AVR (hdmi-out 1) > TV (hdmi-in 1) ................. to watch STB

STB > AVR (hdmi out2) > GTV > TV (hdmi-in 2) ................. to watch STB in GTV​

GTV > Optical > AVR​

Then program activities in the URC. i.e., [STB] & [STB+GTV].

Cheers:)

13. abbywhite650

abbywhite650 New Member

I have been unable to get my Logitech Harmony Ultimate to control my Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player. I spoke with customer service today and was told that they get an error message on the NSZ-GS7 in their database. Was told that the Harmony Ultimate does NOT control the Sony NSZ-GS7 currently and they don't have any plans to control it.

The Harmony Ultimate can NOT control RF devices.

14. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I leave mine in standby mode, quick start and HDMI pass through seems to work fine.

Philip

15. ChrisG8

As a follow up, I do use the inexpensive IR emitters and could recommend those now. The big issue is very precise placement is required since the signal isn't as powerful but once placed, they have worked fine. Initially my placement didn't get great results. With the supplied IR emitter, placement just wasn't as critical. I am using the triple emitter purchased on eBay with the Sony NSZ-GT1 and NSZ-GS7.