Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GS7 and HomeWorx HW-150PVR ATSC Digital TV Converter Box

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by babston, Dec 2, 2013.

1. babston

babston New Member

I want to get the OTA to be view-able with my Google TV and I was looking at this converter box (HomeWorx HW-150PVR) to get the coax to HDMI. I don't really care about the PVR functions.... I wanted to know if the Sony remote would work with this device? Has anyone tried this device or have any suggestions on how to get the OTA signal to HDMI to be connected to the Sony Google TV? Thanks in advanced for your responses.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

This thread at AVSForums might be the best place to search for an answer or ask this question. Assuming it uses IR, I believe the IR code for this device will be the same as a similar or identical product from iView.

Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion

I haven't noticed any members here that use this device. I can say I have read enough about these products that I wouldn't bother with one and I think it is very unlikely that Google TV can control it.

3. babston

babston New Member

is there another method of getting OTA into the sony google tv?

4. ChrisG8

I use TiVo and I am still convinced it is the best option. As indicated in my signature, I have three TiVo boxes to use with Google TV. My models are older, current model is two generations newer, but everything still works fine. One of the three is not subscribed and all that provides is dual tuners, thirty minute buffer and trick play features. With that one, I rely on Buddy TV Guide, a Google TV app for guide information. The other two have lifetime service and are used as DVRs. Google TV of course has IR codes built in for control of TiVo.

A used TiVoHD for OTA only, no DVR functionality can be found at very low prices. I just purchased another for spare parts for $20. The lifetime service is tied to the box and I need to keep the box running, if it dies I hope to be able to resurrect it. Mine are over 4 years old now and I think I can get 10 years of use based on prior experience with TiVo. I did see an offer from TiVo in the mail today, a TiVo Premiere with dual tuners and lifetime service is on sale for $450. The current model is called Roamio and I think would cost about $550 if I wanted to buy one of those with lifetime service today. I don't plan to buy anything, just continue to use what I have but I always look at the offers TiVo sends me.

As far as the no name OTA DVRs like this one, a small savings is possible but they are always junk in my opinion, I haven't read about an exception yet. A tuner from LG or Samsung or other mainstream company without DVR functionality would be better than this in my opinion and could probably be controlled by Google TV but instead, I just use an unsubscribed TiVoHD because it offers dual tuners and 30 minute buffer.

5. babston

babston New Member

Do you the model number for the TiVoHD for OTA only, no DVR functionality? I think you are right and this is a better way to go. Just need to find one.

6. ChrisG8

TCD652160 TiVoHD

7. guest

guest Active Member

I'm not understanding something. Why would someone want a Tivo, but without DVR functionality? Isn't that what Tivo is, a digital video recorder? How would it be used without the DVR?

8. ChrisG8

As I stated above, dual tuners with 30 minute buffer, FF, REW, pause for the 30 minutes. No recordings, no guide, no transfer to other TiVo or PC is possible but if all you want is a tuner, I am not aware of anything better. The DVR functionality is accessed by having a TiVo subscription, monthly, annual or lifetime fee is required. Of course TiVo with a subscription to access the DVR functionality is what makes TiVo great and I use two of those but for the third HDTV, a non subscribed TiVoHD beats nothing.

9. ponghclub

ponghclub Member

@chris......i don't have cable any more and i watch tv channal over the air by setup my system like this:
    Hauppauge(WinTV) --> WD tv live --> Co-star GTV --> TV

Do TiVoHD work with the setup i have? thanks.

send from my b&n nook hd+

10. ChrisG8

I don't think there is any way to get TiVoHD to WD TV Live, at least none I know of. There might be some user developed software or hack to accomplish that but I am strictly stock, can't hack my way out of a wet paper sack. With TiVo, the only way I use it with Google TV is to simply connect the HDMI output to the Google TV HDMI input.

11. guest

guest Active Member

Buffer, FF, REW, pause for the 30 minutes, these are things associated with recording something. And a dual tuner, as I understand it, is to record one program while watching another. Are there two separate recording features available with Tivo? One where recordings are stored on Tivo servers - for a fee, and one stored internally/locally on the Tivo - for free? If so, that resolves the confusion.

12. ChrisG8

I don't think it is correct to call the 30 minutes a recording really, you can't keep it, it continually clears out to make room for the next 30 minutes, which is why it is called the buffer. Two tuners can be useful if you are watching a football game, switch back and forth and skip commercials while watching the games with a slight delay. With a TiVo subscription, no recordings are stored on TiVo servers, local storage hard drives are used which I much prefer to a cloud storage DVR. With dual tuners you can record two programs while watching a third previously recorded program if you have a subscription, without a subscription all you have are two 30 minute buffers.

13. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yes, it is the same feature on cable DVRs that allow pausing live TV. You can get all the features of a recorded program for limited amts of time depending on the DVR. Cox was usually an hour I think, but many times I've forgotten it on a channel and it allowed for the whole day. Once you change the channel all data is gone. With the cable DVR you can watch a program up to an hour after it airs but you wouldn't be able to record the show once it is off the air.

14. ChrisG8

This is false, you can change back and forth between two channels being used with a dual tuner TiVo without clearing either buffer. Changing to a third channel will clear the buffer on one tuner which might happen by accident while handling a remote but with careful use, changing back and forth between the two channels means maintaining a 30 minute buffer on both. I have now added a third TiVo with subscription so I no longer use the unsubscribed TiVo option but I can't see how it isn't still a viable OTA source for those on a tight budget and much better than a digital OTA box without buffer and dual tuners.