Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GP9

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by MFR, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MFR

MFR New Member

I've been waiting a long time to get the Sony NSZ-GP9. Any one know when it will be available. I'm starting to get impatient. I want Google TV.

2. drhill

drhill Member

Go tell Sony to remove their thumbs from..... Well. I agree with you but I would expect nothing until CES in early January.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I hope the NSZ-GP9 hasn't been cancelled but nothing I have seen makes me believe it will be released at this late date. Missing the Christmas season was a big blunder if it will be released.

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

Looks like Expansys UK is now listing the Sony NSZ-GP9 available for preoder. Could this be a sign that it will soon be available? I can only hope. Maybe we will know more during CES 2013.

Link:
    Sony NSZ-GP9 Internet Blu-ray Disc

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post. Interesting that they have the NSZ-GP9 listed at a price of 334.99 pounds - I did a conversion and that comes out to $534.99 US dollars. I can't imagine that it would sell well at that price. Back when the original NSZ-GP9 news was mentioned in the press - a price of $299.99 US Dollars was floated around. Even that price would likely be too high IMO. Something like a price of $224.99 would be required for decent sales IMO.

6. drhill

drhill Member

That would be a great price point for a wider acceptance. I thought I saw something almost a year ago, that long... good job Sony, about.$299. I assume that is Sony's msrp for US release. Catfish, I'm sure the price would include VAT already, plus I've learned from phone anticipation threads that EU prices don't mirror US prices.

7. ChrisG8

I have never heard of Expansys and I don't know how that company would have first knowledge of the impending release and at what price.

8. drhill

drhill Member

They come up a lot in phone anticipation threads. I've never shopped with then since I'm in the US.

9. galfert

galfert Active Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  10. galfert

galfert Active Member

This YouTube video uploaded today by Sony has a NSZ-GP9 tag/description in the text about the video. The video does not mention the NSZ-GP9 but the fact that it is listed as a compatible Sideview device is promising that the NSZ-GP9 is not forgoten. This is good news that the NSZ-GP9 will see the light of day and actually be released some day. I hope.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  11. galfert

galfert Active Member

This German website says that the NSZ-GP9 will be available in May 2013:
    SONY NSZ-GP9 BLU-RAY PLAYER - Sony NSZ-GP9 auf bluray-disc.de

Google IO 2013 is in May....Coincidence??? Aaarrrrh ...I don't want to wait that long with my dreaded Logitech Revue. None of the newly announced Google TV devices at CES 2013 so far have caught my interest.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  12. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

These prices are pretty high. I would be better off buying one of the new set top boxes and a blu-ray player separately.

13. galfert

galfert Active Member

If you want to buy a separate Blu-ray player and Google TV box and save some money by all means you can definitely do that. And that is what I currently have. But if you want more features (and codecs) and better integration, then Sony's NSZ-GP9 looks very promising. To some people $300 for those features and integration are worth it. I'm one of those people looking for a better experience with all the features. One of the best features of the NSZ-GP9 is that one remote will work for everything and never have to switch inputs. With a separate Blu-ray player you'll have to reach for that second remote and switch inputs. Another feature is that (I think) all Google TV devices lack Dolby Digital pass through except the original Sony with Blu-ray...and the NSZ-GP9 is expected to continue that support. Another feature missing in the NSZ-GS7 is voice input. If you like or prefer the Sony brand over the competition then the NSZ-GP9 will be unmatched.

I'll gladly pay $300 for everything that the NSZ-GP9 has to offer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  14. ChrisG8

I agree with galfert, clearly you can get a Google TV box and separate Blu-ray player for less money but based on every Google TV box without Blu-ray I have seen that combination won't likely do as much as this all-in-one box. I have the NSZ-GT1 set up in the den, my girlfriend can operate everything she needs, no concerns about switching inputs, switching remotes, or understanding different menus. She plays her internet TV shows, discs, and OTA all with a single remote that also turns the TV on and off, that simple solution is the best I have provided for her.

15. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

You both make excellent points. If the price point really is $299, I will consider it (especially for the simplicity factor). I just hope it is not closer to $399

16. galfert

galfert Active Member

The Sony NSZ-GP9 although unreleased yet but is officially announced, already has an official price set at $299 (click link for reference):
    Sony Corporation of America

Of course since we were promised a release in 2012 that didn't happen a few things I think are possible...
    1) The NSZ-GP9 will finally be release in 2013 for $299 (there is no way that they can justify raising the price from their 2012 announcement)
    2) The NSZ-GP9 doesn't get released at all and nothing replaces it (they pull a Logitech and bail)
    or...
    3) The NSZ-GP9 doesn't get released but instead is superseded by something newer (different model number) and that could have the same or different price point (higher or lower)

Artyzipp, glad you are now considering the NSZ-GP9. I hope that we don't have long to wait for it to finally come out.

For those that still think that you can save money on a separate GTV device and a separate Blu-ray what are you really going to save? $100 ...or maybe just $50. I don't think that savings is worth it. But for others I understand that it may not be a price issue. Some people may just hate Sony. Or maybe they just prefer and like the styling of the new Asus and its different UI menu. Or maybe they are just sick of waiting for the NSZ-GP9 and they rather having something now than sitting around waiting for something that may never exist. I'm just posting these thoughts so that people can be well informed and make the best decision for their situation. The only wrong decision is one that is done in haste without being informed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

Great response. The only thing that would make me not purchase this would be a higher price point or having to wait a long time for this. I am itching to get me some google tv right now.

18. galfert

galfert Active Member

Well I just found this disappointing news: The NSZ-GP9 has been cancelled!!!!

Link:
    Sony Global - News Releases - Sony Launches New Network Media Player and Blu-ray Discâ„¢ Player powered by Google TV with Phased Launch Starting in North America and Europe

Quote from link: "*NOTE: The market launch of Blu-ray Disc Player "NSZ-GP9" has been cancelled. However, "NSZ-GS7" is already available in the market. (As of January 8th, 2013)"

Now what am I going to do?????? :( I'm so disappointed. The NSZ-GS7 has no voice input. The new announcements from CES 2013 didn't really interest me. I've waited this long that I think I'll wait till May (Google IO Conference) and see what new is announced there and then make my next move decision.

19. artyzipp

artyzipp New Member

That is a really weird announcement...seems to contradict itself. Well, if that is really happening, I will probably go for the pulse or the netgear one. I rarely watch a DVD, so it won't be a big deal. It is strange how the google tv main page is not really up to date with supported hardware: Google TV

20. ChrisG8

We were afraid of that, what a shame. The Hisense Pulse might be my choice now.