Quantcast

Sony NSZ-GP9. Not released until now. No wonder Apple is good at products

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by tinsnow, Oct 30, 2012.

1. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

The sony nsz-gp9 is announced in January in CES (along with NSZ-GS7 player without bluray support). How come it is end of october and sony still did not release the product. who is to blame. google or sony?

no wonder some companies do bad at displaying products and delay them and they eventually fail because customers forget about the product. this is why apple does a good job. they show the final product and make it available within reasonable time.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't recall the official projected date but I believe it was November although I had also seen dates slightly after the NSZ-GS7 release, which was the summer 2012. Whether it is late or not isn't clear but what is clear, it better be really good with the best codec support and good voice control and any other features that can differentiate it from other streaming boxes because it is going to be relatively expensive and competition will be tough. It is the only streaming box announced so far that can beat the Sony NSZ-GT1 for my needs.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO the logical time to release it would be in time for the holiday shopping season. The day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday and the official start of the holiday shopping season. If it is not released for the holidays - IMO that would be bad news for the GTV platform (and indicate that Sony is having second thoughts due to lackluster sales of the NSZ-ZS7).

4. drhill

drhill Member

I remember dates of June, then early summer, then fall, then end of 2012. But those are just dates from websites so they should always be taken with salt. I was hopeful that Google was going to announce a GTV update at the press conference that didn't happen yesterday and it would be launched with this devices' release. Sony/Google are really dropping the ball with this. I want a 3d blu ray player with GTV and they aren't delivering. The GT1, which I own, isn't a fully featured 3d player.

5. ChrisG8

I agree, if the NSZ-GP9 misses the holiday season, I would say forget it. In this day of $99 streaming boxes and $99 Blu-ray players, a $300 Blu-ray/Google TV device is going to be a tough sell even if it is better than the competition and I expect it will be a lot better.

6. drhill

drhill Member

I think it will be a doomed product at price point no matter what. I'll buy it, but my wants and needs are way different than a mass market consumer. I can see the value in the box, but even if this box shipped with new software I can't see any major selling point added for Joe Six Pack.

What apps could there be to change the tv landscape? For me it would be xbmc/prettier plex to work with my server and SageTv to work with my cable card. Or a combined app for tghose needs. But most people aren't going to have servers or cable cards. So it has to be streamed media, which other devices do cheaper.

7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

What do mean by GT1 not being full featured 3D player?

8. drhill

drhill Member

I'm pretty sure you can't do 3d and lossless audio at the same time. I never confirmed because I couldn't get 3d to work when I brought it downstairs to test. Sony supports solution was to factory reset the device. I didn't want to do that because I didn't feel like setting everything up again since the box is for another tv anyway.

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I'm not sure about the lossless audio, but I have successfully played 3D Blu-Ray movies and also streamed 3D video from the internet without any issues on the NSZ-GT1

10. galfert

galfert Active Member

For what it is worth I just called Sony asking about the NSZ-GP9 and they said "it should be available around the end of November or about that time." I know that probably doesn't mean much and it is far from a promise. I can't wait to replace my standalone Sony Blu-ray player along with my Logitech Revue. The only thing I really want the NSZ-GP9 to have that I have not seen one way or the other mentioned is if Skype support will be included like their top of the line Blu-ray player and some of their TVs. That would make the NSZ-GP9 perfect as I do use the Logitech Webcam.....but I would much rather prefer Skype.

11. dlbark

dlbark New Member

Tinsnow, ask yourself when was the last time you rushed out to buy a Blu-ray player or rent a Blu-ray movie? The NSZ-GS7 has yet to make up profit margins. 75-90% of movie watchers use Netflix, Vudu, Hulu+ or Apple's media servers to watch movies. I myself have tossed my extensive DVD/VHS collection for digital download or streaming service and laugh at Redbox renters and Sony realize that others as well are doing the same. Redbox would work if I was still copying dvd's but I now just put my copied movies on a flash drive or external HDD and can watch from it or my Cloud service. That's why Sony will NOT release the NSZ-GP9.

12. dlbark

dlbark New Member

@galfert, I'm not sure of your credibility but if you go to Sony.com or sonystyle.com you will NOT get any type of feedback on the NSZ-GP9. It's almost as if it does not exist. I bought my NSZ-GS7 from a SonyStyle store and I asked if they had the NSZ-GP9 in or when does it release and they had absolutely no information on it. Some jobber on a teck helpline in your case don't know either. If it was still releasing there would be some leaked FCC info detail on it as of today December 5, 2012 but there isn't.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  13. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

@dlbark I myself am an avid Redbox renter and while I do stream from Netflix, and occasionally from Amazon/Google Play. Streaming isn't an option for everyone, or all the time. I live out in the middle of nowhere and only get 1 Mbps and I pay $60 for that.

Though I am not sure why you laugh at Redbox renters, because I rent anywhere from 5-10 movies from Redbox and they are all free, because of Redbox codes. And you can't beat watching all the latest releases for free.

Plus my wife would still rather have a DVD than streaming. Because she likes them, and she can play them anywhere on any device with a DVD player. Not something you can always do with digitally bought movies.

I love Redbox and love paying nothing, but I am also excited to see how Redbox's new streaming service is gonna go, Redbox Instant.

14. ChrisG8

I don't know whether the NSZ-GP9 will be released or not, it has either been delayed again or scrapped. I still play discs a lot, Blu-ray and DVD, primarily because the quality is better than streaming or any other option for the home. It is clear that physical media is on the decline although I think Blu-ray disc sales increased again in 2012, and if that is true probably for the last year. I rent a few movies from Vudu or Amazon and a few movies from Redbox most months. I don't buy digital downloads but I do still buy discs. As far as getting all Redbox rentals for free, obviously if everybody can do that, Redbox will be out of business next month.

The NSZ-GP9 sounded like a great product to me but it was clear it would only reach a small niche market if released. I hope it is available soon but I am not holding my breath.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  15. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The price of the Sony NSZ-ZS7 keeps drifting lower on Amazon. The new price is now $159.99. These price reductions indicate that supply & demand for that box isn't want Sony hopes it would be:

Amazon.com: Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player with Google TV: Electronics

Apparently these devices sales are very price sensitive - as the $99 Vizio Co-Star is selling considerably better on Amazon. Currently the Sony NSZ-ZS7 is ranked at #326 on Amazon electronics chart - while the Vizio Co-Star is ranked at #91.

IMO this is probably entering into Sony's decision about releasing the NSZ-GP9. I had read the price was intended to be $299 - and I don't think that sales would be good at that price point. I don't know for sure whether it will be released or not.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012