Quantcast

Sony NSX-46GT1, picture looks like its painted

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by SumYumGuy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. SumYumGuy

SumYumGuy New Member

I just purchased a Sony NSX-46GT1. Great features, but the picture in all the channels, (STD & HD) looks like its painted and not very good looking. I also have a DVD player that also shows movies with the same painted image and not very defined. Comcast come over and checked the signal and said it was fine, (as per the box they hooked up to the coax cable). I have HD programming watch HD channels on an HDMI coming out of the comcast HD box. So one can assume I should be getting the best picture and yet the image looks painted, (in movies, sports, indoor scenes, outdoor scenes, etc) all of it. I calibrated the picture setting as per other online sources, and that didn't do much. Is there something I'm missing? Please help me in getting this painted looking image to look HD quality. (P.S. I have the geek squad coming over this weekend via BestBuy? How much help can the PC guys give me on the TV issue? Hope to resolve before them getting here)

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Is it painted like a blue color as if it is , press the input button on your google tv remote and check to make sure your using the right input to watch the tv with. If you have more then one hdmi device hooked up to the tv , youll have to keep choosing the hdmi inputs available until you get one with a tv signal.

Also the coaxial input will only work if you add the tv tuner to your list of things google tv recognizes. You can do this by pressing FN key + 1 at the same time while the tv is on and choose video input and choose configured devices and select built in tuner at the bottom of the list.

Before doing the above, check where the tv symbol is at on the configured devices list as this will tell you what the tv is set to view by default and should be set to your comcast hd box if you want to always use that device by default. Make sure your comcast box is turned on when you do all the above to get it to show a picture when you choose the right configured device to use.

3. goksucats

goksucats New Member

My guess is that there is nothing wrong. I think all LCD and LED TV's have a painted on appearance to their screen. That's why you wouldn't catch me buying anything but a Panasonic or Samsung Plasma. Are you certain there is a problem? When you were shopping around, did you have the same impression of the TV's in the store? There is a total lack of depth or dimensional quality to an LCD or LED TV, and their appearance is completely different than the appearance you get from a Plasma, or even the old CRT televisions.

4. SumYumGuy

SumYumGuy New Member

No at the store the picture looked great and crisp. I've tried using all 4 hdmi ports and nothing. Comcast box is on input 1 for the hdmi's. I get all the channels but its just an image problem with the picture looking sort of painted which isn't appealing. Still looking for solutions. Any other suggestions?

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Does the picture look painted when you bring up the apps or try browsing the net as that should tell you if its the tv or the signal coming in to the tv. Not sure what you mean by painted unless your getting extra scan lines from the signal.

If it's lines in the picture , then you may have interference coming from another device. Try turning off your box and watching a youtube video and see if the painted pic goes away. If it does you may have your box too close to the tv and it may be causing the problem.

Have you tried resetting the tv to factory defaults or tried using system recovery mode yet to try and fix the problem?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  6. SumYumGuy

SumYumGuy New Member

Trallyus - I've tried resetting back to factory several times, disconnect all cables including the S-video from my old DVD player, (S-video is the highest quality connection as this is quite old but that's besides the case). Nothing seems to work. I haven't ran an update and quite hesitant to do because I'm not sure how it's done and how to check if it correctly got installed. I'm curious to know if someone out there with another Sony google TV has the issue? Or did I get get the bad apple out of the tree?

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I have the 32 inch model and have no trouble at all. When you reset it did you choose Home or retail as retail makes the colors really bright and is more for the sales people showing it off at the stores.

Also try the following. Press FN+1 to bring up the settings and choose pictures & sound, then choose picture adjustments and see if its set to standard - You may have it set to something else by accident.

8. SumYumGuy

SumYumGuy New Member

I've tried the Standard setting and a calibrated setting from a search online, and still the same painted look on all programs, and channels. I was told that an update sony put out on 07212011 fixes this issue as I wasn't the only 1 with this issue according to another thread on this site. I will try this and repost the results. I will try to take a picture of what I'm talking about so you can see.

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

To get the update Just press FN+1 and scroll down to the bottom of the list and choose about - then choose system updates and it should download the updates or say its already up to date.

My guess is I did not have the problem since my model is not the same exact size as yours then.

10. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I bought this same TV last week and my picture looks gorgeous straight out of the box. The only downside is when watching from my old TiVo because it's hooked up via component and records in crappy SD. The HD from Netflix and other streaming looks fabulous.

Have you gotten your picture problem fixed yet? Did you do the update?

I wanted to suggest that if you haven't, you disconnect everything and try watching something on Netflix in HD and see if your picture looks ok. If it does, then you know it's cable box related. Do you have another box in your house you could hook up and see if it changes anything? Just a couple troubleshooting ideas I had for you.

Good luck!

-HeatherA
    New to Google TV and loving it!

Owner of: Logitech Revue | 46" Sony Google TV

11. LisaGirly

LisaGirly New Member

If you haven't resolved this issue already, have you tried going to Settings > Picture & sound > Picture adjustments > Detailed settings and messing with the different properties there? I find that when I increase the sharpness it gives the picture a much more painting-like appearance and also makes it much more grainy. If you decrease the sharpness it seems to make the picture much smoother in general and less painting-like. I keep mine at 5 and even at 0 I think it looks better than the default at 15. Maybe adjusting some of the other settings in that menu will help also. Hope that helps!

12. Trini718

Trini718 Member

I tired that and it did look a lot better.

13. golden427

golden427 New Member

I am having the exact same problem. During bootup, the black background on the Sony start page looks great, and the S O N Y letters are crisp and bright. Once the google software takes over, all dark or black areas of the screen are Reddish and have waves on top of them. The quality of the image drops by 70% or so, and looks (poorly) painted on.

I'm trying to work with Sony support on it, but they are stumped so far. I have adjusted all picture settings, done the factory reset, and it continues.

Has anyone else seen this?