Quantcast

Sony nsx-46gt1 -- Bypass Pairing The Keypad Screen?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Kanyewesticles, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Kanyewesticles

Kanyewesticles New Member

Hi, I recently purchased the NSX-46GT1 Sony GTV. I actually had to purchase the keypad remote separately off eBay, and I'm still waiting for that to arrive. However, I was given a temporary Sony remote that seemed to work fine with the tv. My problem now lies with the fact I reset the tv, and apparently I'm not able to bypass the 'pairing the keypad' screen without the actual nsg-mr1 remote (I need to hold down Fn and enter). So, my question is, is there anyway to bypass this with my replacement Sony remote or even an USB keyboard?

Thanks

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If you have a Logitech USB keyboard you might try that, the K700 would be the best shot. I have set up the NSZ-GT1 which uses the same or very similar remote and unfortunately I can't recall whether I needed the original remote to get through set up or not, I might have, but I immediately starting using the K700 after set up. Since the FN and enter keys work properly with the K700 after set up, it sure seems that it should work during set up as well.

3. Kanyewesticles

Kanyewesticles New Member

When you say 'after setup' for the logitech k700, that leads me to believe that more than likely I can't just plug the keyboard in and automatically use it correct? So basically, since I'm stuck on the 'Pairing the Keypad' screen, I wouldn't be able to use the k700?

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

No, that is not what I am saying at all, by after setup, I mean after setup of the Google TV. I went through setup and selected devices used and the K700 keyboard works, the Sony NSZ-GT1 recognized the keyboard immediately. I have done this with the Sony NSZ-GT1, Sony NSZ-GS7 and of course the Logitech Revue. The only setup necessary for the keyboard is to pair it to the unifying receiver for the Sony boxes and that must be done with a PC, takes a minute, then plug the unifying receiver into the Google TV USB port and the K700 works. With the NSZ-GT1, every feature I wanted accessible worked. With the NSZ-GS7, only missing feature I want and can't get to work is 30 second skip forward with the TiVo but even that might be possible since it works with the NSZ-GT1. I don't recall going into the menu of the NSZ-GT1, the section for custom keys but who knows, my memory might be faulty and maybe I did do something, I think all functions, power on/off TV, power off AVR, change input on TV, etc. etc. all worked, no tweaking required.

The one thing I can't see how it could work with the Sony Google TV like yours with the K700 keyboard is power on/off TV. With the NSZ-GT1 which is also first generation Sony Google TV but a separate box, hit TV power on/off and the box sends an IR command to the TV and that powers it on/off. With the TV, I question that the command from the K700 keyboard would do that, but I don't have one to check and haven't followed getting the K700 to work with Sony TVs with Google TV.

My point regarding the FN and enter keys working is just that those keys worked after setup, the Sony box accepts the commands and I can't think of any reason the box would act any differently for just those keys during set up. I recall when I did start using the keyboard with the NSZ-GT1, I did get a message I was using a third party keyboard but I didn't have to program anything or change anything as far as I recall. The process was very simple, taking only a few minutes so it isn't anything that is etched into my memory, it didn't require any thought or special procedure. I am sure I had the Sony remote close by and if I had to hit FN enter with it to move on, I sure could have, but I don't think I did.

I have three different Google TV boxes and use the Logitech K700 keyboard for all of them, set up, system changes, app set up, everything I need from the boxes. The original remotes are in the boxes the devices came in and haven't been used since I set the boxes up.

5. graphographics

graphographics New Member

I nearly bought an expensive replacement to the keypad when I tried everything and couldn't bypass it (sony reps did not help at all). But if you grab any usb keyboard and hit ctrl+shift+esc you can skip that screen.