Quantcast

Sony Kills Off Internet TV With Google TV Platform

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jan 25, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sony Kills Off Internet TV With Google TV Platform - Seeking Alpha (click for full article)

"While not officially announced from Sony corporate, I have been able to confirm via a Sony Store and multiple calls to Sony's sales number that Sony (SNE) has stopped producing their Sony Internet TV with the built-in Google TV platform. Over the past few weeks I've been noticing that Sony's Google TV model has disappeared from nearly all supply channels and Sony's own website now lists the 24", 32" and 46" models as "no longer available". Sony has a few of the 40" models left, discounted down to $599, and only a handful of refurb units.

Retailers like Amazon (AMZN) who used to sell these direct are out of all models and are only selling them via third party sellers who combined, have a total of 13 units left in inventory. As a result, prices on these TVs have shot up with many asking $900 for a 40" model that most recently sold for $599. And the few 24" models that I have located on eBay (EBAY) or other third party sites are asking $500 for a TV that use to cost $295. Sales reps at Sony that I spoke to said the TVs never sold very well and they were quick to suggest buy a TV with Sony's connected TV platform instead.

Last week at CES, Sony announced a new stand alone Blu-ray box that will come with the Google TV platform, due to ship later this summer. While Sony didn't announced any new TV models that would ship with the Google TV platform baked in, they never mentioned that they are no longer producing their line of Internet TVs with Google. "

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. germanwolf

germanwolf New Member

This makes me wonder if I just bought a "flop" product,... sorta like the "Laserdisk" or "Beta"

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

LaserDisc and Beta both lasted a long time, over 20 years each and were profitable niche products for the primary companies involved, Pioneer and Sony respectively and I don't think Sony has made a penny with Google TV yet. DVD killed LaserDisc while Beta coexisted with VHS as a niche product but with a loyal customer base and I believe Sony quit making Beta VCRs around 2004 but didn't check that date. I immediately dumped LaserDisc when I saw DVD, selling my collection, and was glad I did.

I believe Google TV will eventually be mainstream and a profitable product for Sony but it hasn't happened yet.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. Google TV is in its infancy. The first Android phone, the HTC Dream, didn't take off either. It took a while for it to get to a point where people saw the value in Android and it finally caught on. It still doesn't have the backing of iOS, but you can say it is doing much better than Nokia's Symbian or BlackBerry's BBOS.