Quantcast

Sony Internet Tv Controlling PS3

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Kevin, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Kevin

Kevin New Member

I never seen anyone talk about this so I guess I should post it. I just bought a PS3 again. I set it up on my Sony Internet Tv. There is an option to use the HDMI Passover to control the PS3. I think that's awesome. I don't have to use the PS3 controller to play a DVD or Blue ray. As soon as change the input it automatically turn on the the PS3. I can access everything using the SITV remote. But you can't use the keyboard to type you have to use the D-pad just like the PS3. Even when playing games the SITV remote shows up as a PS3 controller. I haven't thoroughly tested it but u can use the D-Pad. Maybe there are some shortcuts to actually play a game.

I also wanted to point this out too. There is an lag when playing the PS3 on the SITV. Sony knows about this problem but idk there's anything they can do about. I don't think an software update. I think that's a hardware issues but I could be wrong

• Like Like x 2
  2. tp76

tp76 New Member

Looked in all of the settings and I must have missed this option somewhere...anyone know where it's located ?

3. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I have been doing this for a while. But I could never find what key on the Sony google TV remote is the back button. If anyone can tell me please id love to know.. Thanks.!

4. tp76

tp76 New Member

Found it myself, settings/video input/HDMI settings/device list - power on the PS3 and enable controls ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kalmenus

Kalmenus New Member

Does this only apply to the ps3 slim. I have just purchased and attempted the setup and it did not detect the enable. I have the older originally 80 gig ps3.

6. Robberson

Robberson New Member

I use UPnP to stream my videos from my Windows 7 computer to my Google TV (Sony, NSZ-GT1 with Blu-ray Drive). I used to use Windows Media Server as my DLNA server, but as an iTunes user, I'm fed up with the way WMP's library works (more often than not it says that I have no videos in my library when I know I do, and messing with the Player's libraries changes my computer's four default libraries too). So, I found PS3 Media Server online. I like it better because you can choose custom cover art for your videos - which looks awesome on my TV - but for some reason, whenever I try to play the videos on my Google TV, it says they cannot be played (something about a corrupted file). The files are obviously not corrupted since they can play on my computer, and they are all in either MP4, M4V, or M2TS formats, all of which Google TV can play. How do I fix this problem?

7. leo10acm

leo10acm New Member

Last night I bought a Sony Google TV and stayed couple of hours trying to set the PS3 but I failed I tried everything but didn't work so could you guys give me some helping advice to set it up real quick ! Which are the steps that should I follow In order for me to play PS3 ? I was really exciting when I bought the TV but now after all this Im dissapointed to not be able to play.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Unless you have the new Playstation 3 Slim with the HDMI-CEC, there's no way to control it with the Sony NSG-MR1 Remote Commander. This is because the PS3 uses Bluetooth or USB for control. You'll have to settle using it as a generic HDMI device and using the PS3 supported controllers to control it.

9. leo10acm

leo10acm New Member

I do have the new PS3. I dont really care what Im gonna have to control it, as long as I am able to play. I just can't get it to work in any way. I dont know what is it that is making this process so hard I've tried everything but it just dont work.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

"Not working" and "tried everything" are actually pretty vague descriptions of your situation. Especially, if you tried everything then there would be nothing left for us to suggest. Here are a few questions which might be able to get us started.

1. Is the Sony Internet TV powered on?
    2. Is the Sony Playstation 3 powered on?
    3. Are you unable to plug in the PS3 via HDMI or Component into the back of the Sony Internet TV?
    4. Are you unable to push the Input button on the Sony NSG-MR1 Remote Commander and select the appropriate Input?

11. leo10acm

leo10acm New Member

Hey there was one thing left that I forgot to do and I couldnt think of so you know what I did ? I called SONY and they asked me to do this: Power off everything then push the turn on/off button of PS3 and hold on to it until you hear 2 beeps, and then turn on the TV and it worked. I knew this but I just didn't think of but anyways thank you guys a lot I appreciate it so much .

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Excellent! I'm glad you got it figured out, but what does "push the turn on/off button of PS3 and hold on to it until you hear 2 beeps" do? I didn't have to do that with my PS3 and it is currently being repaired, so I am not clear what it is supposed to do when you hold it down in that manner.

13. japyon

japyon Member

I believe it actually reset PS3 setting to default.... I could be wrong though

14. Hush7

Hush7 New Member

Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to control the Amazon Instant video app on PS3 with the tv remote? I'm able to control the main PS3 menu just fine but as soon as I launch the Amazon app I lose control and have to use a PS3 controller. The reason I'm using the PS3 to watch Amazon videos is because of the supported HD (my Google tv model only does SD for Amazon). Thanks for any help in advance!

15. slyder0244

slyder0244 New Member

Wow I was just wondering if this was possible to do. I thought surely they are both made by sony and use wireless controls, why can't I use this to control my PS3? Then I saw an episode of Tekzilla and they mentioned CEC and I wondered if the PS3 and GTV had those. Thanks for posting this. So glad I found this thread, it's great what this tv can do. On a side note I love that I can also use the ethernet port to share the wireless connection with my old Xbox 360.