Quantcast

Sony GTV thoughts for new buyers

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by chachdog, Dec 6, 2011.

1. chachdog

chachdog New Member

So after using this tv for a few days I have come to the realization that it is pretty weak concept. It is a pita to navigate, and functionality wise it is a joke. Gaming Lag is a letdown as well.

Chrome is on lock down by content providers and there are minimal apps available if would be considered a reason to buy into this. The browser is only a partial install with minimal features available.

A computer hooked to a regular TV offers 100x what this thing can do and view HD content too.

I think that a "Windows 7 TV" hooked up with HDMI, wireless keyboard & mouse, chrome browser syncing all your favorites and plugins and extensions on to your main pc would be the perfect setup. No blocking, Full functionality and nothing new to learn.

I will keep the tv for it's ability to change inputs and for its speakers. The software is pretty worthless.

Even if this was rooted, I can't see it ever beating the functionality that a normal pc offers in terms of the ability to stream content and flexibility to install whatever you want.

Cheers!

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The range of prices of Windows computers with HDMI output fom Best Buy is $6,499.99 to $529.99, where as the Logitech Revue with TV Cam bundle is only $129.99. It is no doubt that anyone can plug in a Windows Laptop or Computer into a TV with HDMI to get access to the sites that aren't avaiable on Google TV. However, the Google TV is much less cost prohibitive. Obviously, you get what you pay for... or in this case, don't pay for. That's the whole reason why content providers don't mind streaming to Windows PCs vs the Google TV platform which only marginally influences the total cost of the unit.

3. indianidiot007

indianidiot007 New Member

and this is the only beginning of the game, long way to go for GTV

4. Dyelon

Dyelon New Member

I must disagree with the OP. I've found this TV to have blown my expectations away and am practically addicted to it! google spotlight and redux are seriously out of hand. Love it

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member

I must agree will Dyelon this tv has met all of my expectations, people should realize that this is a TV with Internet capability not a computer with TV capability.

• Like Like x 2
  6. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

Me too! I've had my 46" since August and I adore it. My favorite TV in the house and I find excuses to watch in bed. The picture is beyond gorgeous, the set is stunning and GTV built in gives me unlimited options on what I'd like to watch.

If I could get a 60" for the family room I would.

7. dbdigital57

dbdigital57 New Member

I bought it for the picuture quality - the apps are just a plus and not the buying decision for me. A backlit 40" 1080p LED for $550 - that's why I bought mine...today!