Quantcast

Sony GTV controller and PS3

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by Petro, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Petro

Petro New Member

Hi All,

Im sure this has probably been discussed, but what is the easiest way to control my ps3 (as a blue ray player) with the sony GTV remote that came with the 40" TV?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If you have the newer Slim Playstation 3 model then you can enable HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) by going into GTV Settings > Video Input > HDMI Settings > Device list > Enable and this will show all HDMI compatible devices that is compatible using this method. If you have the older PS3 models then you'll have to use a PS3 controller or a compatible Bluetooth remote since it is not HDMI-CEC or IR controllable.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have the older PS3 and it is IR controllable with a USB adapter like the one that comes with the Nyko BluWave IR remote. I can control the PS3 with any universal remote that can learn the Nyko commands. There are other similar IR remotes for the PS3 but I have no experience with those and don't know whether the remote that comes with the Sony Google TV is a universal learning remote. If the PS3 in question is a newer slim version then there are other possibilities to get the remote working as mentioned by eferz. I have used the Nyko BluWave remote for years just because I like it but my Harmony One can control the PS3 using the USB adapter if I wanted.

Amazon.com: BluWave Infrared Remote: Video Games

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The limitation of the Sony Google TV devices is that they have a fixed list of supported IR profiles and do not have a learning capability. The only way to expand this compatibility is if the Sony developers added it into a future update.