Quantcast

Sony GTV Box Up For Pre-order

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 17, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sony's Google TV-enabled NSZ-GS7 Network Media Player up for pre-order at J&R - Engadget (click for full article)

"We knew Sony's next batch of Google TV-enabled hardware was coming this summer, and now at least one device is up for pre-order at J&R.

Folks who've been wanting the Android-based service without shelling out for a full TV set from the company will now only need to part with $200 for its NSZ-GS7 Network Media Player.

The unit comes complete with an updated remote featuring a QWERTY keyboard, motion control, a microphone (for "voice commands") and a touchpad, and it's said to work with most of Sony's 2012 TV lineup.

There still seems to be no word on this streaming box's exact specs, a ship date or when you'll be able to snag its Blu-Ray touting sibling, but you can hit the source link to secure one for yourself in the meantime. Here's to watching whether it'll muster up more gusto for the platform than Logitech's Revue, once it's planted consumers' AV racks."

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  3. CatfishRivers

Man oh man -- check out the comments section after this article about the upcoming Sony GTV Box. Seems like many people are already whining that $200 is priced way too high:

Pre-orders for Sony's new Google TV box now open on J&R

It's less than what I paid for my Revue.

4. CatfishRivers

Interesting I just went to the J&R web site and they are no longer listing the new Sony Google TV box for sale. They do however have the LG GTV televisions in stock:

Search Results for Google | JR.com

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Yes, I posted I couldn't find it at J&R in another thread. According to a post about the announcement at Endgadget linked above, a pre-order was cancelled without explanation.

6. wxman2003

wxman2003 New Member

It is available for preorder again on Amazon and from Sony. Just did a preorder.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisG8

8. ChrisG8

Sony indicates on or about July 9th is when it should ship.

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Looks very interesting. I really like the remote.

10. CatfishRivers

OK so now the question is: Is it worth paying $199 for the Sony GTV box when the Vizio GTV box is supposed to cost $99? It's kind of looking like the Sony GTV box will hit the marketplace before the Vizio box though. The Vizio box isn't up for pre-order yet anywhere.

11. CatfishRivers

Good news for GTV fans in Canada:

Sony Internet Player With Google TV(TM) Launches in Canada - MarketWatch

TORONTO, Jun 25, 2012 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) -- Sony Canada today announced the availability and pricing of the NSZ-GS7, Sony Internet Player with Google TV, originally introduced in January at CES 2012. Powered by the Google TV platform, the Sony Internet Player will be available at retailers nationwide in August 2012, priced at $199.99. Pre-orders begin on June 27, 2012 at Sony's website at http://store.sony.ca/internetplayer .

"We are proud to continue our relationship with Google and be the first manufacturer in Canada to introduce a product powered by the Google TV platform," said Hideki Ito, Senior Director of Marketing, Home Network Products at Sony Canada. "Through the introduction of the Sony Internet Player with Google TV, we are expanding the reach and connectivity of the powerful Android platform which includes Sony's smartphones, tablet and renowned Audio & Video products. Google TV enhances the viewer experience by allowing consumers to easily find what they want to watch, listen to or play using familiar search engine technology."

In addition to the NSZ-GS7 Internet Player, Sony's newest Internet Blu-ray Disc(TM) player with Google TV, the NSZ-GP9, will be available at retailers in time for the holiday season, priced at $329.99 The NSZ-GP9 player features Full HD with remarkable Blu-ray Disc technology and a built-in microphone for easy and convenient voice search.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  12. CatfishRivers

Also good news for the folks in the UK:

Google TV goes international, Sony NSZ-GS7 set-top box up for preorder in the US and UK -- Engadget

"Sony mentioned during CES 2012 that its Google TV-powered hardware would come to Europe this summer, and now it's official.

Along with Google, it's announced preorders are available for the $200/£200/$199 NSZ-GS7 internet streaming set-top box in the US and UK (showing a ship date of July 9th, Sony says it should hit stores July 22nd), with plans to launch in Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Mexico and Netherlands later this year.

The NSZ-GP9 with integrated Blu-ray player will arrive in October, priced at £280/€300/$299. UK users can expect localized content from The Guardian among other sources, and more reveals are promised at Google I/O this week. There's an internationally-aimed trailer (embedded after the break) and more information from Sony and Google at their respective sites, we'll see if the mix of reworked hardware and updated software makes this venture more successful than the last round."

13. CatfishRivers

I was curious to know the specifications of the new Sony GTV box - so I looked up the specifications page from the official Sony web site. I wanted to know what processor the box is using, but strangely it's not mentioned in the specifications. They have listed a lot of other information though - such as what video and audio codecs it supports. I found it interesting that power usage while in use is 21 watts - while in standby mode it's less than 0.5 watts:

Sony Internet Streaming Blu-ray Player | Internet Player with Google TV | NSZ-GS7 | Sony USA

14. ChrisG8

The remote looks great to me. I believe the Blu-ray player version will be worth the premium. The ability to have everything to have cable box, Blu-ray, DVD, and Google TV all going into the same HDMI input on display and AV receiver simplifies everything for someone that doesn't want to switch inputs each time, in other words, the real head of my household finds this setup preferable. I also can't find information on processor used but that will be known soon after the product is in consumer's hands. The video makes it look snappy, an upgrade over the NSZ-GT1 but there really isn't any way to tell for sure.

15. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

In what way is this Sony device better than the NSZ-GT1?

16. CatfishRivers

Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Media Player with Google TV Review | Video Streamers | CNET UK (click for full article)

Our rating
    2.5 stars out of 5

What do you think?
    I own it 10
    I want it 26
    Not for me 13

Verdict

The Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Media Player with Google TV brings the world of Android apps to your TV, including web browsing while still watching live TV, but the software is buggy and frustrating.

Good

Seriously cool live TV while browsing the web
    Vastly improved double-sided remote, with a large touch pad and a full keyboard
    Small, stylish box
    The only current set-top box that supports Google TV
    Choice of Android apps

Bad

Google TV software disappoints
    Software is buggy
    Twice the price of Apple TV

17. wxman2003

wxman2003 New Member

One thing I have learned from CNET reviews is that they have a hard time figuring out how to use a light switch. Considering how bad the Apple TV 3 (which I own) is at HD streaming, lack of apps, and so on, either the Google TV will be worth $199 or the ATV3 should be valued at $25. CNET also failed to mention that the Sony Google TV will be upgraded to ICS.

18. CatfishRivers

Well I noticed something right away from the review in my prior post. Even though the reviewer gave it only a rating of 2.5 stars - in reading the review - it's apparent the reviewer is not a fan of the GTV software. So the mediocre review from the reviewer is not because of Sony hardware problems. In fact the reviewer likes the new remote.

So bottom line is that if you like the GTV platform - then the new Sony hardware seems to be a nice way to go.

19. CatfishRivers

Here's another review from the USA CNET:

Sony NSZ-GS7 Review - Digital Media Receivers - CNET Reviews

CNET Editors' Rating
    2.5stars
    OK

$199.99
    Review Date: 6/24/12

The good: The Sony NSZ-GS7 has a vastly improved, double-sided remote for Google TV, with a large touch pad and a full keyboard. It's a small, stylish box and the only current set-top box that supports Google TV.

The bad: The Google TV software continues to disappoint. There aren't dedicated apps for major streaming services like Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, and MLB.TV, nor is Google's own movie rental service supported. Major content providers like ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Comedy Central, and MTV still block Google TV's software from streaming browser-based video. And the software is still buggy and difficult to use.

The bottom line: The Sony NSZ-GS7 has sleek hardware and an innovative remote, but it's hampered by the still too-limited and frustrating Google TV software.

20. ChrisG8

Hard to say without having both in house but so far based on what I have seen, I would say little or nothing. The possibility that future apps and features will be developed specifically for the ARM processor, meaning run better than on boxes using Intel Atom processors, then in the future the differences could be very significant.

Bottom line afer reading so many negative reviews, if they don't know how to use and don't want to learn how to use it, they won't like it. I love Google TV and see nothing from the competition as good, not even close, but I had to learn how to use it.