Quantcast

Sony GS7 worth $200? What else might be coming and worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by cyberpine, Apr 8, 2013.

1. cyberpine

cyberpine New Member

Looking at the GTV boxes currently in the market and about to come out would you pay $200 for Sony's Google TV box?

Anything on the horizon worth waiting for? Anything non-GTV with top level searches and fully integrates with of TV, Youtube, Netflix and Vudu

Anything with a Vudu app and Vudu in Search?

Anybody know if Samsungs homesync is going to compete with Google's TV, Search and Youtube app?

Thanks.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Archos TV Connect is coming soon and as far as an Android box that is not Google TV, it looks most interesting to me. If you don't need the things the Sony NSZ-GS7 offers that aren't found with the $100 Google TV boxes, one of those might make sense to you. I have summarized the differences a few times including in the Google TV FYI thread here. The premium is justified for what I want from Google TV but that wouldn't be true for everybody.

I haven't seen official mention of any upcoming Google TV boxes but there have been rumors that Western Digital and Google may be working on models.

3. cyberpine

cyberpine New Member

I'm on day 3 with the Sony GS7. Last night I had to unplug it to get TV to work.

Also, the native media app does not find dnla sources on my network. I have a USB network drive on my Linksys router. I installed an android app that did see it, but won't play my mp4 movies.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Not much information probably means nobody can really provide much help, I know I can't based on what you have provided. What DLNA server are you using? What types of mp4 movies can't play, DTS audio? The NSZ-GS7 plays all my MPEG-4 files but I don't have a variety of audio codecs or file types, in fact most all I have are PlayLater DVR files. You have to unplug it to get it to work, emphasis on you, since I don't have to unplug mine to get it to work, but it is hard to tell what you are doing wrong. What Android app couldn't play your MPEG-4 movies?

Unfortunately Google TV does require some effort to set up and use and I can't tell much about what you want or what kind of effort you are willing to make. I routinely do the things I need you claim you can't do, I have taken the time to learn how to use the device. We do see new owners come here with complaints and stories about how so many of the things the device should do aren't working, so you are not the first. Are you an experienced Android user? I wasn't when I bought my first Google TV box almost 2 years ago and the only other Android box I have used is an HP TouchPad with Android I loaded as a result of the Android hacking community. So I am not a very advanced Android user at all, maybe that doesn't matter much.

There are certainly easier to use streaming boxes, Roku and Apple TV are easier to use than Google TV and also more popular. I use and like Roku, it is so easy to set up and use and it does some things better than Google TV, in fact most things both boxes do, Roku does better or easier but it doesn't do nearly as much. Roku does a few things Google TV doesn't do, at least not yet. The Western Digital WD TV Live boxes offer better codec handling and work with more file types than Google TV.

5. saeba

saeba Active Member

And to point out.... The Sony is still $166.59 at Amazon :)!

6. saeba

saeba Active Member

I tested this with mine.. USB drive hooked to Linksys EA6500 router. I used ViMu to access it. ViMu didn't see it as a DLNA device, but did as Windows SMB device and I was successful in playing content on it.

CORRECTION: Checked my routed and evidently I was unsuccessful in enabling DLNA on it. A second attempt succeeded and ViMu on the Sony was able to see and access it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  7. jim2011

jim2011 New Member

I like my GS7, way more than the Vizio Costar I had. However... I plan to sell it when the new Xbox comes out. Seems like Microsoft is going to take Google TV and Apple TV head-on.

The functionality will work by taking a cable box signal and passing it through to the Xbox via HDMI, allowing Microsoft's console to overlay a UI and features on top of an existing TV channel or set-top box. We're told that this is a key part of the next-generation Xbox and that it will go a step further than Google's TV implementation thanks to Microsoft's partnerships with content providers. Extended support for various cable services will be rolled out gradually, but the basic functionality will be available at launch.
    -Exclusive: Microsoft's next Xbox will take over your TV, interact with your cable box | The Verge

I like Google TV due to the integration of the cable box and aggregating all of the various provider's content. I hate Google TV for the lack of apps besides Netflix and Amazon, it's extremely pathetic. I don't count the crappy webapps like Crackle or HBO Go. My Xbox 360 has virtually every major media app including heavy hitters like Hulu Plus. It just isn't integrated with TV like Google TV is. If the next Xbox replicates the functionality of Google TV which I'm pretty confident it will, I will definitely make the switch.

I still cannot get over the lack of apps, Google needs to get their crap together.

8. chopper

chopper Active Member

Archos TV connect will work with tons of Apps and will be on par with WDTV for codec support. It has my interest only because Primetime will not work outside the USA so users outside the USA have plenty to gain and nothing to lose by making this switch. Plus doing Skype from my TV sounds pretty cool,

9. XJ1992

XJ1992 New Member

Thanks for the info!

10. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Get ViMu. It will does pretty well everything when it comes to video and networking.

Philip

11. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Will you still have to pay Microsoft for network access? The whole Xbox thing as a media player just sounds wrong. Fan noise, extra network cost, games' oriented, etc .... It's possible that it could be neat but their windows 8 unifying strategy, even though I actually like win 8, isn't doing well. You can get a $50 Roku with better media options.

Philip

12. jim2011

jim2011 New Member

Good question, I'm not sure if they'll still require xbox live gold like they currently do for the media apps. I hope they don't for everyone's sake. I personally play games so I'll have it no matter what. Based of that article I linked though, it seems like the next xbox is being positioned as an entertainment center more than just a games console. As far as fan noise is concerned, based off what I read, it won't be using full-power unless gaming. The idea is that it's "always-on".

For me though, if Microsoft pulls it off, this seems like exactly the device I want. Live TV and Online content aggregated like my Google TV. Blu-ray playback. Videogames. All on the same device. No need to switch any inputs, change controllers, etc.