Quantcast

Sony gs7 with Revue keyboard issues..

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Allanf, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Allanf

Allanf New Member

I recently upgraded my GTV box from a revue to a Sony GS7. Although its a lot quicker, thats about all the benefits I see.

The remote for the sony is terrible and I loved the Revue keyboard, after reading some reviews I realised I could pair the revue keyboard (logitech k700) to the sony box.

I have it paired but quite a few of the buttons simply are not working (record for example, and it wont turn off/on my tv or STB :(

Also when i try to set up my devices again I'm running into problems adding the specific device model name/number and get an error "cannot search for model number due to security constraints" WTF??

Has anyone successfully gotten all the functions of the k700 to work on the sony box?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If by STB you mean NSZ-GS7, the K700 can't power that on/off, the K700 is an RF controller and the NSZ-GS7 receives the RF signal and outputs an IR signal to control TV, AVR, and whatever TV source is being used, DVR or cable box or satellite box. With the K700 and Sony Google TV box, I can control various IR devices such as Yamaha AVR, TiVo, and LG HDTV. The control is not as complete as you get with the K700 when used with the Logitech Revue. I prefer the Sony NSZ-GT1/K700 combo for control of my systems over the NSZ-GS7/K700 combo, some functions possible with the NSZ-GT1 are not possible with the NSZ-GS7, primarily how it will control the TiVo.

The devices used must be controllable by the NSZ-GS7 for the K700 to control the devices. The K700 will not add any additional devices, only send an RF signal to the unifying receiver and the NSZ-GS7 must then output IR from its database. How complete the control will be isn't clear to me but it is clear it isn't as complete as the Revue with its Harmony technology built in, nor is it as customizable.

What TV, AVR and cable box are you using?

3. Allanf

Allanf New Member

hey thanks for your reply..

So by stb i mean my UPC box, the equivalent to the likes of a tivo box that i get my channels from.

I'm using a sharp 52 inch lcd (lc52d65e)with the cisco stb (the k700 will change channels etc but not turn it off) and an LG dvd player which i use for sound.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If the Cisco STB is also a DVR, those are never off if plugged in no matter what so I wouldn't care about power on/off, but if it is just a tuner, try FN STB see if that will power it off. I don't have a Sharp TV or LG amplifier but I would think both can be controlled by the NSZ-GS7 although finding the right code might take some trial and error.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems w/the K700 keyboard. It has controlled all the TVs I've connected to the GS-7. I've had about 5 different DVRs from Scientific Atlanta to Motorola and the KB controlled every one. It even controls my Win 8 PC Haupauge TV volume & channels. It allows for fast FF, Rew & Pausing of Live TV. The one thing I still haven't been able to do is record Live TV using the K700. But I'm glad to be able to use my HP remote for something.

Hope you can find your TV codes. I know one of the units I tried had an option to search for codes on-line & it worked for my Seiki TV. Once the box accepts the code the K700 should be able to control it. Some functions may vary depending on the TV, DVR or AVR models.

Carl

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  6. Allanf

Allanf New Member

thanks for the replies guys, sounds like i just need trial and error really..

any ideas about the error about not being able to search for model numbers due to security constraints!?