Quantcast

Sony GS7 & Amazon Movies is terrible quality on good bandwidth?

Discussion in 'Sony NSZ-GT1' started by cyberpine, Apr 8, 2013.

1. cyberpine

cyberpine New Member

Just purchased a Sony Internet Player with Google TV. Huge potential in this .. but some snags will have me returning it soon if I can't get past this.

I have Dish Network with Comcast Business internet with 20+mb downloads hard wired lan.

Issues:

- Confiugred Dish, but could only get basic integration, full would not take. Might be on older controller?
    - Can't power on or ff the dish controller with the remote. is this possible with newer controllers?
    - No Vudu App. On my PC Vudu movies are offered through my facebook joined account, but not on the Sony GS7?? so Vudu movies don't so up in My Movies or in Search??? I hear a Vudu App might be on the way for Sony. but when?
    - Lasst night (sunday) we rented Mystic River in HD from Amazon on the Sony and it was TERRIBLE. quality looked like 360pp at time and occassionally stopped to queue up. I will fight Amazon on the rental.
    - Played netflix this morning (monday) and it played perfectlyv
    - Dish channels I don't own show up on search. Any way to fix that?
    - Any way to add a youtube video or free movie to favorites or hot key to get there fast?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Vudu hasn't been made available for the Sony NSZ-GS7 and I haven't seen any word from Sony on if or when. It has been added to other second generation Google TV models already but I would be very surprised if it isn't added to the Sony model.

I have seen no difference between the NSZ-GS7 and other Amazon Instant Video players I own, PS3 and Roku, so I suspect any quality issues were related to the quality of the rental, not the player.

I don't have Dish and don't know whether the NSZ-GS7 can use the deep intergration or how search works or if power off of your Dish DVR is possible. Turning off any DVR I own is pointless to me, those always run so recordings can be made and all that can be turned off is the video output.

You can always just hit the add to bookmarks star button, for any YouTube video or free movie, the link will be saved until you delete it.

3. cyberpine

cyberpine New Member

The movie I downloaded played pretty close to HD for maybe 60% of the time, would then get grainy and even stop to load. It did not appear to be the quality of the source.

The Dish controller is not a DVR, but it would be nice if the device would power on and off like the TV and Sony do from the one control. It's an older Controller and maybe that is the issue - I did not try to find it with the remote to pair it up.

When I bookmarked (starred) while in the youtube video is just added it to my favorites in youtube. I was hoping that Google TV had a way to favorite accross all applciations .. kinda like search is suppose to work.

The idea of seach and content areas spanning all providers is the brilliance that is Google TV IMO...

Many Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. cyberpine

cyberpine New Member

Update: Amazon gives you 48 hours to watch the moving. I'm playing the movie right now on Tuesday Morning (EST) and it's playing perfectly and in apparent HD. Does anybody know does Sony save any art of the movie on the device?

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I haven't used the GTV Amazon app - but from your description it sounds like Amazon uses variable playback quality based on your internet speed (that they detect). IMO there was a glitch in that process and it caused a lower quality playback. Hard to say if perhaps there was a slowdown in your internet network or some kind of bug in their app itself. It doesn't sound to me like it's a bug with your NSZ-GS7.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Using the Amazon App all HD videos should play as clearly as on any other device that allows for HD content. The problem is that our ISPs don't immediately allow for the HD signal to fully engage until a few seconds/minutes after the video starts. What I do is let the video play for a few seconds until the HD bars are fully engaged. I've already warned my ISP that this is unacceptable. Amazon has also started their own investigation w/various ISPs that are messing w/their HD output.

When you start an HD movie it is easy to see what yer connection status is. Hit the HD feature and look at the connection bars. You will notice that the bars increase after a few minutes of play. This can also be experienced on a variety of sites. ESPN 3 is one that has absolutely nothing to do w/our units or the ESPN site, but our ISPs. After the sites gives ya the 4 bars or whatever the full Broadband equivalent is, then the video will play as clearly as the appropriate SD or HD movie you are viewing. But when ya encounter an ad on ESPN3 that causes a Shockwave crash, well... that's the unit. I still can't understand the distinction between Roku and PCs vs GTV. Even now just using Youtube is a pain. How many videos are not allowed on our device in the app, but we still have full access in Chrome? And even the Youtube Win 8 apps have the same limitations. It ain't just us...

If you are a cable subscriber, try out HBO or MAX go. The HD content starts off flawlessly! Other than the limitation of our memory you can go for hours w/out ever experiencing the delay in full streaming connectivity as we have with almost all the non cable internet subscription media alternatives.

Our boxes and the Apps on them cannot possibly counteract this intentional delay by ISPs...

This is my unscientific opinion based on responses by Amazon & my ISP...

I thought my friend that works for an internet provider (to remain unnamed for obvious reasons) was overstating how much they feared & hated Google and all its multi-platform forays into the GTV & cable arenas.

I took it w/a grain of salt...

Carl