Quantcast

Sony Google TV's

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by Beerbellybill, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Beerbellybill

Beerbellybill New Member

How new are the Sony google tv's? About ready to get one but curious if new line out soon with all the other tv's

2. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

DigitalTrends | January 12, 2011

Google may have asked it to hold back, but Sony is proudly showing off its Internet TVs at CES this year. Our impressions inside.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. Rickaren

Sony Google TV - New Series of Internet TV

01/19/2011

[​IMG]
    The TV becomes web and the web becomes a TV, Google TV is the service of the future that will be backed up more and more HDTV and 3DTV: Sony is taking the lead and can claim the distinction in the presentation of the first models on the market. Let's look at the features and costs. Sony unveils its line of Google TV, next-generation hybrids between TVs and PCs, running on Android and applications and exclusive services. Wifi, Blu Ray, network connectivity.

Sony Internet TV is officially on the corporate website (ice thanks for the tip) with prices starting at $ 599.99, around 430 € excluding taxes, for TVs and $ 399.99, around 286 € excluding taxes, for the Blu-ray Google built-in TV.

SOURCE

4. nganter33

nganter33 New Member

I purchased the 40" version of the Sony Google TV earlier this month. The picture and audio quality is impressive. I haven't owned a high-end TV in a while, but it looks just as good as anything I have seen. Google TV runs well.

Streaming media from a PC can be a challenge. This is something that will definitely require some preparation and reading. I also found that Google TV only supports FAT32 for attached storage devices. I purchased a Netflix account after I purchased the TV, and I'm impressed with the streaming content. The TV loads streaming HD content in seconds and looks great. I have Wireless-N, so I doubt Wireless-G would have the same result. The remote takes a while to get used to, and it would be nice to connect another device for browsing the web on Chrome.

There isn't a VGA / DVI connection either. That's a downfall for me, because my laptop doesn't have HDMI out.

It seems like Google TV is coming along well. To me, it feels like it still needs some work. The addition of the Android Market will be a major plus. Hopefully it comes out soon!

5. Rickaren

Thanks for your review and good luck with your new set! If you had a new laptop with a HDMI could you use it as your storage device?

6. StevenB

StevenB New Member

Just making sure, they aren't releasing new Sony tvs are they? Like gt2's already?

7. Rickaren

Good question but Google TV2 is not available yet, so we will have to wait and see what develops. If it is successful at a much lower price it may become standard at no additional price on their TVs. Guess we will have to wait till spring to see what is built. Plan to report the first reviews here first, so keep checking back. I'm interested at to the fate of the present Logitech Revue. Will it be superior to any new GTV set-top or TV installed unit now sold or installed? Will our present GTV no longer be sold or factory installed in "Smart TVs"? Lots of unknowns @ the present. Around March maybe we will know some answers!

8. StevenB

StevenB New Member

About the Logitech Revue, I was under the impression that it wasn't doing as hot, and Google told Logitech to stop production of them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also... what in the world is the actual contrast ratio of the/my Sony GTV's?!

9. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member