Quantcast

Sony Google TV HACKED!

Discussion in 'Hacking SONY GTV' started by Apeman, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Apeman

Apeman New Member

Greetings Programs!

I have just broken into the recovery menu of the Sony GTV. I have posted threads over at XDA and the Android Forums trying to get some support and help..... you can read the threads here: Google TV hack! - xda-developers and here:Sony Google TV hack! - Android Forums

Here is a copy of the post (with instructions) on how to get into the recovery menu:

Lets get hacking!

• Like Like x 4
  2. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Screenies of the recovery menu would help those of us without a unit.. :)

3. PhatboyC

PhatboyC Member

Is the hardware inside the tv same as the Revue? If so this could work on both.

4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

Ooh goody! By the time I get my Revue the fine folks at XDA will have figured out how to get the Android Market installed or at a minimum side-load apps through the browser. WOOT!

5. Apeman

Apeman New Member

OK guys, heres a video of me booting into the recovery menu.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. hharte

hharte New Member

Thanks Apeman, I tried it, and was able to get into recovery. I tried writing the logfile to USB, and it "seemed" to work, but after mounting the USB stick on my linux machine, I didn't see any files there.

I bought the Sony NSZ-GT1 so I could port my Android app Better Terminal Emulator Pro onto Google TV. I already ported it to Android-x86 in preparation for this, but seems like I could not ADB into the Google TV over Ethernet. Frustrated, I decided to take a screwdriver to my Google TV, and did a "teardown" as a result. You can see what the guts look like here:

magicandroidapps.com Wiki

Sorry the pictures are not that great, I used my Moto Droid to take them, and the lighting was terrible.

-Howard

7. Apeman

Apeman New Member

Hmm, I am trying both ethernet and USB connection, but I have been having the same issues as you. I have been trying to install drivers for almost every phone on Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu but as I said, no dice.

Nice teardown photos, I was going to take mine apart over the weekend but now I think I am going to focus on trying to get the computer to recognize it.

I would also like to say I love Better Terminal Emulator and that was the first thing that I wanted to try to install.

8. hharte

hharte New Member

Thanks for the feedback on Better Terminal Emulator Pro. BTEP uses some native shared libraries, so the APK will probably not work as-is. The APK in Market does have x86 support as well as ARM, but the x86 support has been done using an x86 version of the NDK from android-x86.org. I also added support for things like the control key on a PC keyboard, and caps lock, but I'd be surprised if the Sony controller returns the same keycodes, so that will need to be fixed.

When we get APKs to work on Google TV, I should be able to fix the issues in BTEP fairly quickly.

Another idea is to try ADB in recovery mode, but it doesn't seem like the recovery mode has any Ethernet support.

ADB already supports connecting over a network in Android, and this is how I use ADB with netbooks running Android-x86. You do "export ADBHOST=ipaddr" then "adb kill-server" then "adb shell"

Given how easy it was to hack the first G1 phones, I'm pretty sure it should be possible to do it on the early Google TVs. My original Moto Droid didn't have any tamper resistant stickers or anything on it and I was able to disassemble it easily. Later ones have a tamper evident sticker on one of the screws. I was really surprise that the Google TV didn't have anything like "warranty void if sticker is removed" on it.

-Howard

9. gtv-fan

gtv-fan New Member

Since when getting into recovery menu considered hacking a device? Kids these days, jeez...

10. nagmier

nagmier New Member

wow... actually at this stage it should be considered a hack as its not documented... he did hack the device to do something not intended without guidance from support... And please there is no need to be negative... Would you have preferred Apeman keep this to himself, Thats not what being part of a community is about.

11. gtv-fan

gtv-fan New Member

You are mistaken. Recovery mode is something device is *intended* to do. This is not hacking, sorry. I'm not being negative, but his kind of sensationalist posts create false expectations from people. These devices are very far from being hacked, and no, having found recovery menu doesn't bring you any much closer to this goal.

12. nagmier

nagmier New Member

you took what I said out of context, it is not intended use without technical support and there is no documentation regarding entering recovery mode in any of the manuals I've seen... and the means to which he found recovery was in fact in the traditional "hacker" style, hacking away at something until he produced a favorable result... but I remiss I will drop this discussion as I don't want to create an animosity.

13. FastKatt

FastKatt New Member

Guess this never went anywhere?

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

15. jeepmartin

jeepmartin New Member

How do you exit the meun? I just need to get MAC ID Address for my wireless set up. Do I simply turn the unit off and then turn power back on?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

16. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  17. likwidsolutions

likwidsolutions New Member

I have a Google TV, and although I'm not a hacker, I would love to see something done with the TV, however, I don't think there are enough users to really have a big community to hack and develop apps and mods.

18. FastKatt

FastKatt New Member

We can hope...