Quantcast

Sony Google TV controlling a Dish Network receiver in another room?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by adamjackson, Dec 22, 2016.

1. adamjackson

adamjackson New Member

Here's my setup: I have a Dish Network 722 receiver in the living room, with the TV2 output running to the bedroom.
    We just bought a 40-inch Sony Google TV for the bedroom, and hooked it up to the TV2 output (yeah, not high-def, but works for now).

The Sony TV is on the wireless network, and the Dish Network receiver in the living room is connected via ethernet to my wireless router.

I just read Engadget's review the Google TV, and found out that the Google TV communicates with the Dish Network receiver via the network, not HDMI as I had previously thought.

After all that preamble...
    Does anyone know if the Google TV can communicate with the Dish Network receiver in another room?

It'd be great if I can ditch the RF dish network remote, and solely use the Sony Google TV remote to watch live TV.

I may end up just activating the Dish Network Google TV feature (and paying $4/month), and testing it to see if it works. Dunno how easy it is to cancel that feature if it doesn't work.

Thanks for any help!

Tags: download alone ringtone, ringtone download free for mobile, download samsung ringtones

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't believe the Dish Network Google TV feature is available any longer but I have never had Dish Network, you can inquire with Dish Network to confirm that. As far as Google TV controlling a Dish Network receiver in another room, it would require some kind of long IR emitter cable, IR to RF converter or something along those lines, but I wouldn't do it even if you find a way. Google TV control of a set top box, satellite receiver or DVR connected by HDMI to the Google TV HDMI input is still my preferred method of combining traditional TV with internet TV sources but long cables or IR to RF or Wi-Fi control of a box in another room is a kludge I wouldn't mess with.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

** I just read Engadget's review the Google TV, and found out that the Google TV communicates with the Dish Network receiver via the network, not HDMI as I had previously thought.**

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adam many of the things you read about Google TV in old articles no longer work. Prime example is Dish Network no longer supports Google TV. Google TV was abandoned by Google, Sony and developers a long time ago. I've been trying to explain that to you. Is there any particular reason why you would want to spend good money on a long since discontinued Sony Google TV? Oh well to each his own I hope you enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

*IMO if Best Buy is still selling 40" Sony Google televisions at full retail price (without mentioning to consumers that the product has been discontinued) - they are engaging in irresponsible activity that borders on criminal. If they offer those TVS at a fraction of the original MSRP with full disclosure that the product is discontinued (and no longer supported) then that would seem to be fair.

However you had previously mentioned that you recently bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 Google TV set-box at Best Buy and the salespeople were touting it as the top internet TV device currently available (with full Google Play Store support). So based on that it would appear that Best Buy is going the "shady" deceitful route.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016