Quantcast

Sony Google TV - Controller Lag!?!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Stewbie2002, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Stewbie2002

Stewbie2002 New Member

Anyone else have this problem? When pushing any key (like volume or channel) on the remote, the TV may take up to 10 seconds to respond... It doesn't happen often and typically only lasts for a minute or less but is VERY annoying. This even occurs when the controller has direct line-of-sight with the TV, nothing blocking/interferring with the signal.

Help!

2. hilly69

hilly69 New Member

The controller is using Zigbee (used to be called RF4CE) RF to communicate with the TV set and it sounds like a RF interference. So inline of signt is not the issue here. Zigbee is not designed to do channel hopping (like BT) - so perhaps you can check what channel your wireless network is set to or that of your neighbors and change this.

-Hilly

3. Stewbie2002

Stewbie2002 New Member

An "internet TV" whose controller may have issues with WIFI... Sounds like a pretty major design flaw to me.

4. burg1n

burg1n New Member

Mine gets some pretty bad lag sometimes too. I will spam the volume button and it doesn't do a thing, then 30 seconds later it jumps right up to full volume and hurts my ears lol.

5. SpyderMS

SpyderMS New Member

I only had this issue when I had my Revue on the output end of my HDMI switch, and I tried using the Revue overlayed on top of my HTPC and PS3, which both experienced considerable lag, which was odd, as I had no such lag with the cable box. Because of this, I decided to rearrange it so it would only be accesible with the cable box.

6. Stewbie2002

Stewbie2002 New Member

I'm not surprised that no one from Google/Sony has responded to this issue yet... Hopefully they will take notice soon!!

7. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

Same issue here. It will suddenly not respond, I'll hit a bunch of buttons then it will suddenly catch up and do 100 things. REALLY annoying...Sony or Google FIX IT! You're on notice!

8. kryzdafer

kryzdafer New Member

Yep. That happens to me all the time! My first instinct wasn't that it was interference of the signal, but the processor was behind and it was just running slow! And I'm really dying for the update for gtv!

9. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

You will also notice that a lot of times it gets into this lag period the cursor will still function, so its not a signal issue.

10. Stewbie2002

Stewbie2002 New Member

I noticed this last night when the volume and channel up/down were lagging, cursor worked fine.

IT SURE WOULD BE NICE TO GET A FIX FOR THIS

11. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Hi all,

Are you folks using the Blu-Ray player or the Sony Internet TV? We're working on diagnosing the issue.

Daniel

12. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

I have a 46" Sony Internet TV. It seems to mainly happen if I've been using the browser then go back to HDMI input. But I have had it happen just using an HDMI input.

13. mthomas

mthomas New Member

I'm seeing controller lag on a 40" Sony Internet TV. I see it at least every day, sometimes several times per day, and it seems to happen mostly when I'm using FF or rewind in streaming content.

14. alyaba

alyaba New Member

I also have the 40" sony google tv and the remote always lags at random times.

15. Stewbie2002

Stewbie2002 New Member

I have the 32" Sony Google TV. The remote noticeably lags about everyday for some period of time.

16. Malachi42

Malachi42 New Member

I have the Blu-ray player and I see the same thing.

17. kryzdafer

kryzdafer New Member

How do you get support for this? Do you talk to google, or sony? I can't find any google support information anywhere. But this is happening more and more and its embarrassing when I show people google tv and its not even responsive.

18. GTV Daniel

GTV Daniel New Member

Support is provided directly by the manufacturers of the devices. Here are links to Sony Support and Logitech Support for Google TV.

We here at Google also maintain a Help Center with some tips on using Google TV, but all support issues should be brought up with the manufacturer of your device.

Thanks to everyone for your responses on this controller lag issue. I've passed this information along to the team. Keep posting if you see any changes!

Cheers,
    Daniel

19. Stewbie2002

Stewbie2002 New Member

I've run into this dilemma myself... Google support is non-existant. Sony support is incompetent. After a week of talking to Sony tech support, I finally got my issue escalated to the Sony engineering dept. in California. However, since Sony was unable to provide me a direct contact number to this dept., I had to call Sony support who would then connect me to "level 1" support who would then connect me to "level 2" support (which had access to Sony engineers).

In the end, I finally got the issue resolved myself by contacting Rovi (makers of the TV guide). Needless to say, with so many companies involved with Google TV, getting tech support can be a real nightmare!!! Whilst in tech support hell, my wife and I seriously considered buying a Samsung Internet TV and returning the Sony.

20. HamDog

HamDog Member

Stewbie, Sony has THE WORST customer service if you have legitimate tech problems. I bought a high-end Sony laptop for myself and got so frustrated with Sony tech support that I vowed to never buy anything from Sony again. I'm an MCSE and manage an IT department for a medical company, so I know my way around a computer. Sure, their low level techs can probably answer common questions through their database, but if it's a real tech issue, getting things escalated and followed through is almost impossible at Sony.

Google doesn't offer any tech support. They allow manufacturers to use their software and they must provide for their own support - that's it. So if there is an issue, it has to be taken up with the manufacturer, not Google. I actually think it's nice that a Google rep visits and contributes to these boards. Thanks GTV Daniel!