Quantcast

Sony google tv continuously drops wifi connection

Discussion in 'Google TV Major Issues' started by Rob.Askins, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Rob.Askins

Rob.Askins New Member

The tv continues to drop a good connection while doing almost any online activity. Watching Netflix for a few minutes will drop the connection as will watching some youtube videos. I have to go to settings and manually select the connection again before it will reconnect.

Other devices in the house are not dropping the same connection.

2. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

Check your wireless router to see what mode you are running in (a/b/g/n?, b/g/n, g/n). If you are running on one of the multiple standards mode that supports a/b wireless consider changing. If your router is a G router get it in 802.11g mode only (and upgrade any legacy devices on your network that use 802.11a/b standards - those are 11mbit at best connections are are likely at the least part of your problem).

If you have a n or draft-n router and all your wireless devices are n capable go to 802.11n mode only to help resolve problems with dropped connections.

Have you checked for other wireless devices near your Google TV device? Cordless phones in certian frequencies can cause problems with one device but maybe not another. Relocate any potential sources of RF interference away from your TV to see if that makes a difference. Example: Our cordless phone (landline) is a 2.4Ghz phone and depending on which channel it grabs when you are talking on it, I loose wireless connection on my laptop - wife's iPad stays connected. Not sure how our phone affects our Sony Google TV yet.

The Google TV Wireless adapter is 802.11n and will negotiate a blazing fast connection to a n capable router. My TV links up at ~150mbit to my router and full HD .TP DVR recordings stream perfectly over the wireless N connection from my Beyond TV HTPC. I've yet to have a connection drop in the 3 or 4 weeks that I've had my TV.

3. Rob.Askins

Rob.Askins New Member

I think everything in the house is now 802.11n compatible so I will try to change the router setting to only "n" and see if that helps. A wired connection has fixed the problem in the mean time.

4. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

Post back and let us know if that solves your issue. Of course if you have a wired connection that doesn't involve cables lying in the floor down the hallway :) then you are probably golden.

5. johnnierotten

johnnierotten New Member

FYI... Thanks phantomandy!

Your advice led me to the solution.
    I had previously done a factory reset on my router and the default was to turn Wireless N support off. I turned it back on and viola!

The interweb is so freakin' amazing! How did we survive before Al Gore invented this thing?

Btw, it's a Motorola Surfboard modem.

Rich (pushin' 50 years on this Great Big Blue Marble)