Quantcast

Sony Drops Prices for GoogleTV

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by danger-rat, Aug 12, 2011.

1. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Came across this news, where it looks like Sony are following Logitech's lead by dropping the price on a number of GTV models:

[​IMG]
    Google TV hasn't exactly set the world on fire, and while we could argue all day about what exactly prevented it from achieving greatness, the expensive hardware has to at least be part of the discussion. Logitech bit the bullet two weeks ago and lowered the price of their Revue from $250 to $99 - and it seems Sony has decided they might take a bit of that medicine too.
    Their Google TV-powered HDTVs, which debuted in October, are getting hefty price cuts. Sony also made clear that these are not being made cheaper because there are better ones coming out soon - they just want to capture more market. That's code for "they were too expensive to begin with."
    Here's the breakdown (according to Amazon, and confirmed by Sony), by display size:
    24": $600 => $295
    32": $800 => $498
    40": $1000 => $723
    46": $1400 => $961
    The best savings are on the 24" version - and while Google TV wasn't exactly a big hit among the TV-watching public at large (they prefer just watching), an internet-powered display like this could be a hit in a dorm room or kitchen.
    Google TV will probably be around for a while, so it's not a bad investment (and not a bad price for a 24" set anyway), and the platform should be getting an update in the next few months as well, so you could be doing yourself a favor picking one up now.

SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I went ahead and picked up the 24" version today. It seems Sony's version of Google TV seems a tad more polished than Logitech's.

3. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I picked up the 46" last Sunday at Best Buy for $598. It was only that price for a few hours, and apparently had been that price for a few hours on August 3 as well. So if you are interested, I highly recommend keeping an eye on Best Buy's prices.

I love, love, love this TV!

-HeatherA
    New to Google TV and loving it!

Owner of: Logitech Revue | 46" Sony Google TV

4. mwphelps

mwphelps New Member

Saw that in the BB ad Sunday, and I flew out the door to buy one. Got the 32". I prefer it over the Revue for one big reason: I can run my OTA coax into the TV, no HDMI required. The Revue would require me to either come up with a separate tuner with Coax in/HDMI out (don't have the bux for that), or pay for some HD something-or-other...which defeats my purpose for having the Revue. Not a big deal to just flip inputs on the TV remote, but I was hoping for a single remote. Speaking of... I'm also kind of diggin' the Sony remote. Pretty clever, and not intimidating to the rest of the family.

5. Ranchwest

Ranchwest New Member

Does the Sony Internet TV have the Internet features as the Sony Smart TV? (such as Slacker)

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Sony Smart TVs utilize applets to access internet content. While Sony Internet TVs does have a handful amount of apps, it may not have the same ones as Sony Smart TV. Though, it might have web browser access to the same content.

Google TV doesn't have a Slacker Radio app but you can access the same content through the Slacker Radio website. However, not all missing apps are accessible through the browser, like Hulu Plus is accessible through Sony Smart TV but not Sony Internet TV. Netflix and Qrocity are apps which are available on both television sets.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Blu-ray player/Google TV is droppng like a rock also. My son called me today to ask if it was worth $180. If you need a Blu-ray player and Google TV I would think it certainly is.

• Like Like x 2
  8. telecam

telecam New Member

What a steal! Good for us. I love my Sony 46" Google TV, just bought a second one from Best Buy for $899...

9. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I love my 46" Sony more than my 60" family room TV. I keep looking for excuses to watch TV in bed. Haha. I'm jealous you have two! My daughter has a 24" and it's adorable. She too keeps finding reasons to sneak away to her room to watch TV.

Sony got it right with these sets. It's too bad the price point was set so high at the start for all GTV products and that so many people poo-poo'd these devices just because a few networks blocked streaming. Once you own one (set or box) it's hard to go back to the old way of watching TV.

10. b3rusty

b3rusty New Member

i paid $1400 for mines (46") and now feel like i got kicked in the gut reading what some of you paid. i want a bigger one for my bigger house/living room when we move next month. if i had it to do all over again i would get the 55" bravia for like $1699 and then get the blue ray player sony tv add on thing.

i did the 12 months free financing and have like 2 payments of $100 left. i wish they would be like "you know what, we dropped the price, so you don't have to pay the last 2 payments ;)" prolly not gonna happen though.

11. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I bet you had your 46" a lot longer than we have, and have enjoyed its great features. I never could have bought it at that price, so I'm glad I was able to get it at the price I could afford.

12. Kelvweb

Kelvweb New Member

I think the BB ads must vary by region. Sony Google TV wasn't even in my ad this past week. The week before it was. The 46" was $999.

I paid $964 for the 46" at HHGregg on Sept 9th.

If the weekly price drops within 2 weeks of your purchase, both BB and HHGregg will probably give you the difference. (As Target does).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  13. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

This post was originally from early August.

14. gmanky

gmanky New Member

I just paid $599 at Frys in Indianapolis, IN. Today only.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

For what?

16. gmanky

gmanky New Member

sony nsx46gt1, the 46" LED Google TV

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Wow! Very nice. Excellent bargain hunting!

18. gmanky

gmanky New Member

Thanks, just happened to be there for some other things and POW there it was. Can't wait to try it out.

19. Kelvweb

Kelvweb New Member

Thanks, Heather for letting me know that you bought yours in early August. Makes me feel a bit better for not getting such a great price in early September.

I wonder if the price drop means a "better" version will be on the market soon?

Here's a link Best Buy's price match policy: Best Buy Price Match Guarantee - Best Buy
    Best Buy's return policy: Best Buy Returns and Refunds - Best Buy

On this page,about halfway down, you will find Hhgregg's price match policy: Article - payments-pricing-faq
    Hhgregg's return policy: Article - returns-refunds-faq

20. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

46" Sony TV with Google TV for $600, wow, that is a great deal.